10 Mar 13

LW GM: The Wavebreaker pulls away from where the barge went down to it's final silty resting place. "We should be in open water before sunset. As for Master Grim's powder, I'm not certain what it really is or where you can get more. I suppose your best option would be an alchemist, and there's one in the final port before open water."
GrimBeard smiles.
Avan: "Sounds like we'll be stopping there. Powder's but one of the supplies we should get."
GrimBeard: "Excellent."
GrimBeard looks to the Captain.
[OOC] GrimBeard: Captain
Rhavi: "It would be safer for you to only take us that far, Captain. We could find other means of transportation."
GrimBeard: "Kin ah get an axe er somethin in tha meantime?"
[OOC] LW GM: You can still butt with an unloaded musket. And you loose a /lot/ of advantages when you try to use a non-musket weapon. Just FYI, 'cause the captain has belaying pins at the very least.
[OOC] Levin: Belaying pins hurt, but not as much as an angry dorf with a musket. Whether he's actually able to fire it or not.
[OOC] LW GM: ^
Rhavi watches where the barge went down
GrimBeard: "On secon' though, I'll stick wit' Bessie 'ere."
Captain Lorands: "Probably a wise choice. I have not met many dwarves before, but I have never see one use anything other than their muskets."
LW GM: The glow where the barge went down has faded and the ripples are gone. If you hadn't seen it go down, you would be hard pressed to say something did.
Avan: "I can give you some tips on throwing the musket, if you'd like. Though I don't think it'd help."
GrimBeard 's brow furrows.
GrimBeard: "Nah thanks. Ah'm good"
[OOC] LW GM: I would have to make up stupid penalties for throwing a musket, the obvious one being, breaking the nearly irreplaceable musket.
Rhavi examines the scimitar that the whetstone faded into. "Does anyone else wonder how these things work?"
Levin: "Magic?"
Avan: "That would be my guess, considering the source."
Rhavi: "But how do we activate it? These has been nothing apparently different since we received them and we have had a couple of scrapes."
Levin: "Of which none were demonic in origin."
Rhavi: "That is true."
Dust: "We do not. We carry these weapons, guide them, aim them. They do the rest, when the moment is right."
[OOC] LW GM: You did use them to kill a water elemental, a creature who normally probably wouldn't notice your assault (other than Dust's psychic one).
Avan: "He is right. They remain but weapons. Our task is to wield them."
Rhavi scabbards the weapon again and settles in to watch the river.
[OOC] Levin: Ah, but I had a vial of poison on hand. :p
[OOC] LW GM: That is true.
Avan: "…but tell me. That water elemental. Are the weapons here so destructive that you normally need no help to dispatch it?"
Rhavi: "I have never fought one to tell you."
Dust: "I know little of the elementals, but I suspect that no normal weapon would harm a creature crafted from water."
Avan: "There are legends of similar creatures back home, but made of sand. Blades and bludgeons go right through them. To stop them, apply enough heat to forge them into glass - and even that merely immobilizes them, turning them into statues, but that can be good enough."
Avan: "…I wonder if there exists common magic to render water elementals into ice? Though if they are not common enemies, their counter might not be common either."
Rhavi: "Someday you will have to show me your home. It sounds like there are many adventures waiting beyond the horizon."
[OOC] LW GM: Ice elementals are a wholly different creature. And very very nasty.
LW GM: The sun kisses the horizon, casting everything in a brilliant, and ominous, blood red hue. Captain Lorands pulls up to a sand bar for the night ((You are hungry and must now eat a meal. Fortunately, the ship is well stocked so meals are provided.)) The captain invites you to dine with him and the rest of the crew.
Avan: "Indeed there are, and I would be glad to if your path accompanies mine that far." Avan heads down to the mess to accept said invitation.
LW GM: Tonight's meal is salted trout and sea biscuit (river biscuit?), along with what smells like fermented pear juice.
Rhavi: "this is the best we have eaten for a long while now. Thank you, Captain."
Captain Lorands: "I apologize for overhearing, but it is a small ship. Did you say that you had never encountered a… 'water elemental' before?"
Dust: "Correct."
Captain Lorands: "You are welcome. Thank Jorother's, he's the one who prepared the meal and the fish."
GrimBeard eats so fast it is hard to tell he is chewing his food.
Captain Lorands: "Then how did you know these weapons would work on such a creature?"
Dust: "We did not."
Rhavi: "We didn't." He bites into the fish with gusto.
Levin: "Luck."
Avan: "It was worth a try. If that had failed, we had means to boil it."
Captain Lorands: "I see. Well we are all fortunate that you did. I do not think The Wavebreaker would have survived it's assault."
[OOC] Avan: Because steam elementals.
Rhavi shrugs and keeps eating "Then we would have died."
Captain Lorands: "I suppose we would have."
Captain Lorands: "And that was not the demon that has targeted you?"
Avan: "That itself? No. No way to even know if it was related, though the odds are good."
GrimBeard lets out a large belch.
GrimBeard: "Much obliged, Cap'n."
Rhavi: "Thank you, Jorothers! "
LW GM: The first mate nods in pleasure.
Dust pauses, looking upward, forehead creased.
Avan noms quietly. It is food. It is edible. Sure, it is tasty, but the gift of sustenance itself is far more important, is it not?
Rhavi: "What is it, Dust?"
Dust: "Something is drawing nearer."
Rhavi sighs with pleasure over the food and then nods to Dust, rising and heading to the deck.
LW GM: A bony hand come up over the rail of the deck followed by a skeletal being, glowing with the same hue the barge did. Then more hands, more bodies. They are wearing tatters that must once have looked similar to Rhavi's outfit, and they are armed with the same kind of scimitars Rhavi is.
Rhavi: "I was afraid of this…"
GrimBeard follows Rhavi and readies Bessie.
Rhavi draws arms and heads for the nearest undead crewman
Levin: "…Well, that clearly didn't solve the problem," he mutters to nobody in particular, and draws bow & arrow.
Rhavi: "Waste of good boom powder it seems"
[OOC] LW GM: CS 25, and there are two skeletons per person.
[OOC] Rhavi: well….
[OOC] Dust: Is that CS 25 per skeleton, or CS 25 for the group of two?
Captain Lorands: "It seems that this demon does not lack in the variety of threats it can pose to you."
[OOC] LW GM: Two CS 25 skeletons per person.
Levin: "Of course not. We've yet to meet the same threat twice…"
[OOC] GrimBeard: I forget, do I go first?
[OOC] Levin: oh well in that case I'll be hiding behind Avan.
Rhavi: "These look somewhat more grim though."
[OOC] Rhavi: Me too
Dust unsheathes his blade, shield shrugged into place. "Not true. We've encountered the Cener frequently."
[OOC] LW GM: Avan does (unless for some reason he doesn't)
[OOC] Rhavi: grim
[OOC] Levin: because hahahaha me being effective with a ratio of -8? You're kidding, right?
[OOC] Dust: Ren doesn't have a sense of humor that we're aware of.
[OOC] LW GM: I kid because I care.
[OOC] LW GM: But I don't care right now…
[OOC] Rhavi: I am at -9 since you are green buffed.
Avan finishes his food as he lets his handbolt fly. "Someone summon the town watch!"
[OOC] Levin: Only if these are Cenerese or the GM says so.
Rhavi: "That would be great except that we are on a boat!"
Avan rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -9 (Impale + Bite of Fire + you know the drill by now)
[OOC] LW GM: Green Purge yes. Mind force No.
[OOC] Avan: We're docked at a town, yes?
[OOC] LW GM: No. A uncivilized sand bar in the middle of the river.
LW GM: Avan's handbolt tears through the skeleton, destroying three of it's ribs, but it is still quite active.
[OOC] LW GM: Grim!
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: -1 RNT: Grim cracks one of the undead in the jaw. Player: -5 Enemy: -2
LW GM: GrimBeard forgets for a moment that he is a dwarf and can not reach the jaw without hyper-extending his arms, causing more damage than the rather half-hearted blow the skeleton sends his way.
[OOC] LW GM: Dust
Dust falls back, drawing two of the skeletons away from the others, taking blows on blade and shield, returning cuts where he can. His gaze narrows but, as expected, there is no mind for him to combat.
Dust rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 6 Player: -3 Enemy: -6
[OOC] LW GM: GB, go ahead and reroll.
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: -1 RNT: 5 Player: -2 Enemy: -7 (Grim cracks one of the undead in the jaw.)
Levin goes looking for any potential controllers of these skeletons…
LW GM: Dust's sword slides cleanly between the two bones of the forearm, allowing him to twist the blade and pop one loose, but not without the skeleton catching him with a slice as well.
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 12 (12) (assuming half-rank bonus.)
[OOC] Levin: Determining if there's a controller and, if so, whether I can do anything about it.
[OOC] LW GM: Ah, I see it now
[OOC] LW GM: Though hold that roll for the moment, it's Rhavi's turn.
Rhavi steps in toward the undead crew nearest the railing, cutting fiercely at the closest one, and stabbing the short ugly knife into the other. He writhes away from their return strokes using the railing to throw himself into a somersault.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -9 RNT: 3 Player: -7 Enemy: -1
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -9 RNT: 5 Player: -6 Enemy: -3
[OOC] Rhavi: I love the first round…It's after that I cry.
[OOC] LW GM: Ha!
LW GM: Rhavi weaves between the skeleton's attacks, striking out with his blade whenever he sees an opening.
[OOC] Rhavi: Are we waiting for anything in particular?
Levin: "Hey, Avan! Sand bar! Robed figure there! Think you could extend him a warm, Telchoi-style welcome?"
Avan: "I'm on it!"
[OOC] Avan: Once it's Avan's turn.
Dust casts a brief glance over his shoulder, then shifts, moving to engage Avan's foes. "GrimBeard! Back me up!" ((Technically this isn't a legal move…))
[OOC] Dust: But Dust is trying to pull one of Avan's guys and have Grim pull the other.
[OOC] LW GM: You mean trying to get them to redirect their attacks at the two of you?
GrimBeard glances to Rhavi, making sure he is OK first, if so, he moves to help Dust.
Rhavi gestures for Grim to follow Dust's lead.
Rhavi ducks and grabs Avan by the shoulder, spinning him back and clear as well ((also not technically legal, but can i give him the benefits of my Evasion by doing this?))
GrimBeard nods.
[OOC] Dust: GM: Yes. So Avan doesn't suffer multiple attacks that prevent him from doing ranged combat.
Avan ducks and rolls with it, flicking his shiel-fa to latch onto the ship's railing, rapidly pulling him forward and over the edge - and out of the immediate combat. Of course, he picks up his handbolt on the way.
[OOC] LW GM: Dust and GB, make half rank rolls.
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi, nope that's not quite how it works I'm afraid.
Dust rolled up 1d10+3: 10 (10)
[OOC] LW GM: That's one, GB…
[OOC] Dust: I think it worked! Ya…. wait, now I've got three enemies. Craaaaap…
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10+3: 7 (7)
[OOC] LW GM: … good enough.
LW GM: GrimBeard and Dust manage to give Avan a narrow window of opportunity to strike at the figure.
[OOC] LW GM: And since Dust and GB used their turns, it is now Avan's turn…
[OOC] Avan: What's the controller's CS?
[OOC] Avan: Assuming he - or someone matching that description - is on the sandbar where Avan can strike.
[OOC] LW GM: Sorry, wasn't thinking. CS 20
Avan swings from the railing, looking around - there it is. Kicks off the railing just so, angling his flight, then flicks to release, somersaults (the move was supposedly invented around here), and lands handbolt-first in the guy.
Avan rolled up Ratio: -1 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -11 (Impale + Bite of Fire + medouken)
LW GM: A roar of pain sounds out from the figure. You have heard that voice before… in the Brotherhood guild-house in Toril.
Levin: "… Lovely."
LW GM: The skeletons continue their attack… but slower, more… mindless ((CS 15)).
LW GM rolled up Ratio: -9 RNT: 0 Player: K Enemy: 0 (Attack on GrimBeard)
LW GM rolled up Ratio: -9 RNT: 6 Player: -5 Enemy: -4 (Attack on GrimBeard)
LW GM rolled up Ratio: -9 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -7 (Attack on GrimBeard)
[OOC] Rhavi: K is never a good letter in this game
LW GM rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 0 Player: -6 Enemy: -1 (Attack on Dust)
LW GM rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 0 Player: -6 Enemy: -1 (Attack on Dust)
LW GM rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 4 Player: -4 Enemy: -5 (Attack on Dust)
[OOC] LW GM: The same damage. Huh.
[OOC] LW GM: GB takes 11 damage, Dust takes 7
Levin rolled up Ratio: 2 RNT: 5 Player: -2 Enemy: -9 (Levin vs skelly LA)
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi
Levin rolled up Ratio: 2 RNT: 1 Player: -4 Enemy: -5 (Levin vs skelly LB, no damage to LB…I think.)
[OOC] LW GM: Correct.
Rhavi leaps to the railing and then follows after Levin to the sand bar (Evasion). Rolling, he comes up to a knee and cuts at the shrouded figure.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 1 Player: -5 Enemy: -2
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 6 Player: -2 Enemy: -7
[OOC] Levin: I'm still on the ship…
[OOC] Rhavi: Avan
LW GM: Rhavi's strike manages to fell the sorcerer taking only glancing damage from him in return.
LW GM: On the ship the skeletons shake as one, then fall to pieces of moldy bone.
Levin: "Lucky I noticed the guy. Otherwise we'd probably have been overwhelmed, particularly considering he could've raised any skeletons we'd defeated."
Avan: "Assuming they were intact enough." Avan retrieves his handbolt and searches the body, first and foremost to make sure it is dead.
Rhavi examines the wound in his side as he runs along the sand bar
Levin breaks out the herb kit again…
Rhavi: "Our ride is leaving, Avan. Captain, drop anchor!"
Dust pauses to clean his blade, then proceeds to remove the skeletons from the deck lest some other itinerant necromancer have similar ideas.
Avan looks up. "So soon? No need." Avan whips his shiel-fa up to the railing. "Climb up! I'll go last. Hurry!"
Rhavi: "Grab the body then."
Avan: "You're stronger. You grab it."
Rhavi grabs the ankles and waits for Avan to get the shoulders before heaving it aboard
Avan: "Also it'll be simpler for you to climb with it."
LW GM: But the captain does not respond.
Avan is bracing, making sure the shiel-fa is anchored.
Rhavi: "Ha! Climbing with dead weight is never simple. Come one then!"
Avan: "After you."
Rhavi leaps up to grab the railing and haul himself aboard. He extends a hand back for Avan.
Avan runs up the side a bit, then climbs the rest of the way using his shiel-fa, grabbing the hand once close enough.
Dust looks to see why the captain is not responding.
Rhavi hauls him aboard and starts looking for Captain Lorands
Avan: "Thank you." Avan tumbles over onto the deck, only then freeing his weapon and checking himself before making sure the stretching has not overly damaged the leather.
GrimBeard goes to the side of the ship to see if he can help people in.
Avan looks over the side. Is any one else down there?
[OOC] Avan: Is Levin aboard?
LW GM: Dust finds the captain slumped forward over the (mostly) intact remains of one skeleton.
Rhavi: "Master Grim, keep watch. Levin, look for more necromancers with whatever magic helped you find the last one."
[OOC] Levin: I didn't disembark.
[OOC] Avan: We're all on board, then.
Levin: "…If there were more necromancers, at least some of these skeletons would still be animate."
Avan sits up. "Why are we leaving so soon?"
Rhavi: "Jorothers!?" He calls for the mate.
Rhavi: "We still have to make town by sunset, Avan."
GrimBeard nods.
GrimBeard keeps watch for anything amiss.
LW GM: But Jorothers does not answer.
Rhavi checks for any of the small crew left alive
LW GM: Rhavi finds Jorothers and the third ((at the moment unnamed)) member of the crew unconscious and bleeding heavily. It is already too late for Captain Lorands.
Rhavi: "Levin, we need a medic over here"
Levin rushes to Jorothers almost as soon as he's alerted.
Avan: "That sounds like we will be crewing this ship."
LW GM: Levin finds that the first and second mates are seriously injured, but not in immediate danger.
Rhavi: "Until further notice, yes."
Dust winces, fingering the tears in his chain. As his eyes close, Dust stems the flow of blood from his wounds, then turns to assist Levin in aiding the crew.
Levin: "They'll live. Barring sudden illness, that is."
[OOC] LW GM: Infection is probably the biggest threat.
Rhavi: "Let's make for that port the Captain was talking about. We will restock there. Pull the colors form the mast and get them out of these uniforms and into something else."
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License