10 Oct 12

LW GM: In the aftermath of the Cenner attack, Captain Sornath calls you into his cabin to discuss the situation. A large map of the immediate area is unfurled on a table, detailing may small islands. "So" , he begins, "I believe I can now guess what you are running from."
Rhavi: "I would take that wager…."
Levin: "Not that it takes much effort to guess, considering."
Avan nods.
GrimBeard listens intently.
LW GM: "Well, there were minor injuries among the crew, but the damage to the ship seems superficial. Even so, I'll be setting down on one of these islands for some precautionary maintenance. I just wanted to let you know so when we land and you look outside and don't see a city, that's why."
Rhavi: "And are there plans to deal with the sign we found on the hull?"
Dust: "How long will the maintenance take?"
LW GM: "This maintenance, unless there's something seriously wrong that we're not seeing right now, should take only a couple of hours. However that will take us close enough to sunset that there wouldn't be much point to lifting off until tomorrow."
Levin: "In other words, we'll be land-bound for about 12 hours?"
LW GM: "As far as dealing with the sign… well I'm not certain what //can// be done to deal with it without replacing part of the hull. If any of you know how to do that, I am certainly listening."
Dust frowns, looking at the map. "What do we know of these islands?"
Sornath: He nods and says, "Yes. About twelve hours, Master Levin."
Rhavi: "And, also, who could have gotten onto the ship and below decks unnoticed?"
Sornath: He frowns, "Unfortunately not much. I've seen them from above, and they seem to be mostly uninhabited and have a flat field for landing, but I've never had the time to explore them."
LW GM: "And sadly, Captain Rhavi, we still have no idea who could have etched that symbol into the hull."
Dust: "Then the risks of this landing are unknown."
Dust lets his eyes skim over the potential options for landing sites.
LW GM: "The risks of landing are almost certainly less than the risk of continuing to fly and suddenly not flying due to unknown damage to the ship."
Avan: "He has a point."
GrimBeard: "Agreed."
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 11 (11)
Rhavi: "It is your ship, Captain. You know best what to do aboard her."
Levin considers for a few minutes, then points to a particular island, which his land-lore seems to indicate would be best. "This one would likely be the most suitable for our needs, I feel."
[OOC] LW GM: Levin, make a half-rank roll.
Levin rolled up 1d10+2: 12 (12)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+2: 10 (10)
[OOC] Avan: Very likely.
[OOC] LW GM: Now I need to come up with excuses for Avan and GrimBeard to make a roll.
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10+2: 5 (5)
[OOC] LW GM: The map sits up on the table, rolls a cigarette and takes a drag from it. "Okay people this is how you make the plot bend over and take it… Thank Chessa, it was her idea."
Avan checks the maps for any signs of things he may be familiar with from home. A desert and an ocean have similar amounts of life upon their surfaces…
Avan rolled up 1d10+2: 11 (11)
[OOC] LW GM: Okay, I haven't come up with an excuse for you yet, what's your excuse for the roll GB?
[OOC] Levin: Dwarfs are terrible islanders, clearly.
[OOC] Avan: GB was looking for caves?
[OOC] Dust: GB was looking for boom powder.
[OOC] LW GM: Probably.
[OOC] Rhavi: Grim was looking for liquor
[OOC] Avan: Alas, there are no boom powder trees on this island.
[OOC] LW GM: Probablier.
[OOC] Dust: He needs to combine liquor and boom powder to create… boom beer.
[OOC] Avan: Nor is the rum here.
[OOC] Avan: Wouldn't that just make the rum, red?
LW GM: Dust does not get a sense of malevolence from any of the islands. Danger yes, but not markedly any more or less on any particular island.
[OOC] GrimBeard: Let's go with Boom Powder. Sorry about that, was overzealous on that one.
LW GM: Rhavi scours his memory for any known pirate havens in the area. There are a couple, but his information is years out of date for this area and they move around constantly. Still, he does identify the most likely/best places for such hideaways to be.
LW GM: Levin has identified the kind of wood that makes up the hull of the skyship, and identified the islands most likely to have that wood in abundance.
Rhavi: "If you want to find people, these places would be your best bet," He touches two spots on the map. "Avoiding people and still having access to fresh water would be here, or here." he indicates two more places.
[OOC] LW GM: Avan deduces that the ocean has fish in it. Wait until he tells the folks back at home.
[OOC] Avan: Wait until he meditates on this.
LW GM: Avan manages to identify the islands most likely to support a small human population for a short amount of time, thus making them likely pirate hideaways. These islands line up very neatly with Rhavi's.
[OOC] Avan: Remember his reason for being out here.
Avan nods with Rhavi's explanation.
[OOC] LW GM: Memory serves, you were trying to prove yourself to the folks back home.
[OOC] LW GM: Ignoring GrimBeard, did I leave anyone's roll out?
[OOC] Dust: Non.
[OOC] Levin: You got everything.
[OOC] Avan: Not just prove himself. Acquire the skills to pass the trials. Living off the land was his main failure. He was sent to cross to the coast here, ostensibly to learn. And now, in a moment when he has reached that coast and gone beyond it…
[OOC] Avan: In other words, if there was any question which skill he's picking up next, there isn't now. ;)
Sornath: listens most intently to Levin's insights into the best places to find lumber, should it be needed. The best place, according to Levin, unfortunately also coincides to one of the places identified by Rhavi and Avan. Still, it is the choice Sornath elects to take.
[OOC] LW GM: It's the one in the shape of a skull.
Rhavi: "Be on the look out, boys. The type of people here are not likely to be the ones that you would take home to your mums."
LW GM: Sornath looks at the charts. "The island isn't named in any of my charts. Does anyone have a name they would like to give this island?"
Avan: "It's in the shape of a skull. Skull Island."
Avan: "That is the tradition, is it not?"
[OOC] LW GM: I was joking, but what the hell.
Rhavi: "The locals call it " Lost Hope "."
[OOC] Avan: I'm rolling with it. :P
Avan: "Ah, then it has a name."
Levin: "Humakt."
Sornath: "Humakt?"
[OOC] LW GM: The food here is decent. Please don't puke over Sornath's charts.
Levin: "Said by some to be a harbinger of death."
Sornath: "Auspicious. Humakt it is."
LW GM: Sornath makes the proper notation on the charts.
GrimBeard: "Look forward ta seein' it."
Dust: "Curious. That island is no less dangerous than any other."
LW GM: "It shouldn't be long now. We should landed in an hour."
[OOC] LW GM: Time-jump
[OOC] LW GM: er… Time-jump?
[OOC] Dust: You said I couldn't have that discipline.
[OOC] Avan: *takes a step to the left*
[OOC] LW GM: Discipline no, pokemon yes. Jump. Time. Time-Jump!
[OOC] Levin: Sure.
LW GM: The landing is not a crash one, much to everyone's relief. The Dauntless is tied down without any difficulty and the crew uses the remaining light to look over the ship. As the sun kisses the horizon, the crew come back with only minor reports of damage. However, they also come back three men light.
Rhavi: "What happened to the others?"
Levin grabs his portable kit and bow. "Nothing good, I'd wager."
Avan is at the river, practicing this spear-fishing thing.
LW GM: Telmar approaches and salutes Sornath. "Captain, three crewmen took it upon themselves to go into the nearby forest for lumber to make minor repairs. That was shortly after we landed and they have not been seen since. Request permission to form a search party to look for them."
LW GM: Sornath nods gravely. "Granted Mister Telmar. Bring them home."
LW GM: Telmar salutes and then proceeds to recruit men for the search party.
Rhavi in an aside to Levin and Dust
Rhavi: "These three may well be the ones who marked the ship. they may not be missing at all, but running instead."
GrimBeard nods.
Levin: "Perhaps."
GrimBeard: "Possible boss."
Dust: "Perhaps, but running to where?"
Rhavi: "If there is a settlement nearby and if they wanted to get a message to someone that would be the place to start."
Dust: "That's the first place to look then. Or this could be a ruse to draw protection away from the ship."
[OOC] LW GM: What nearby settlement? On the mainland?
[OOC] Avan: The presumed one on the island.
[OOC] Rhavi: I was under the impression that there was a settlement nearby on the island
[OOC] Levin: Pirate hideout.
[OOC] Rhavi: Same thing
[OOC] Levin: No, cos settlements are *generally* civilised.
[OOC] Rhavi: Tortuga.
[OOC] LW GM: Ah. This could certainly support such a hideout, but you don't know for certain there is one here.
[OOC] LW GM: this island I mean.
[OOC] Rhavi: Ah.
[OOC] Rhavi: Change line to "If there is a settlement nearby"
[OOC] LW GM: k
Rhavi: 'Well, you are the tracker amongst us… "
Rhavi: "Some of us, namely myself and Master grim, who tend to tromp through brush rather than around it can stay here."
GrimBeard: "Agreed boss. Wan' me ta get on deck and watch tha perimeter?"
Sornath: "Then you will be helping with the repairs?"
Rhavi: "Yes, Master Grim, and yes to you as well, Captain."
Levin: "I'll join on the tracking, given my particular abilities."
Dust: "Then tracking will be Levin and myself. Avan, if an attack comes, your skills could be useful to either group. Where will you be?"
Sornath: "Then I will ask the rest of you who wish to join the search party to report to Mister Telmar."
Avan: "Where would you have me?" Avan has racked up…quite a few fish, actually.
Avan rolled up 1d10+5: 8 (8)
8 fish, to be precise. He hands them over to Sornath.
[OOC] Rhavi: Huh..the one time evasion may come in handy to get help and I'm too darned loud in the woods.
Avan: "I can fish while expecting an attack, or I can hunt with you."
Sornath: "I will see to it that the cook gets these. One of the difficulties that comes with sailing the skies, no way to fish."
[OOC] LW GM: Is Avan saying that to the captain or the group?
[OOC] Dust: To Dust, presumably?
[OOC] LW GM: k.
Dust: "A smaller force will move faster and make less noise. However, no one can dispute the utility of a skilled warrior come an ambush. I would have you with us on the hunt."
Avan: "As you wish."
Dust finds Telmar to report in.
Levin reports in as well.
LW GM: Telmar is on the starboard side of the ship organizing the crew into small teams. Upon seeing Dust and the other, he gives some final instructions on crew distribution, and goes to see what you want.
Rhavi starts on the repairs
Dust: "We are here to assist with the search."
LW GM: Telmar's eyebrow quirks in surprise, but it's a happy surprise. "Excellent. The three of you will form the final group and will search the west most section of the forest. I've seen some tracks I can't identify, and if they're made by anything dangerous, you are probably the people most trained to deal with it."
Dust nods. "Unless there is anything else, we're off."
LW GM: He looks you over as if he wasn't seeing something he was expecting and finally asks, "No dwarf?"
GrimBeard heads back to the deck to start watching the perimeter.
Dust: "Still on the ship. This mission requires flexibility and stealth, not explosions."
Levin: "Moreover, dwarfs are mountain-dwellers and thus lousy woodsmen."
Avan: "You've never heard the legend of the forest dwarves?"
LW GM: "Yes I suppose so. Ah well, the ship will be well defended in our absence then. All right, let's find those layabouts while we can still see." And with that, he leads one of the groups into the forest.
Levin gets going, giving Avan a negative.
Dust sets off to the reported set of tracks.
Avan: "I've only heard fragments, myself. There was this settlement named for carnage on a boat…"
About the time it is time to get quiet, Avan finishes up, "…and they never did find out what happened to the lava, or the goats."
LW GM: It doesn't take long ((or a roll)) before the group sees what Telmar was talking about. The best the group can determine is that the tracks were made by snakes with oddly shaped heads. Really big snakes.
[OOC] LW GM: However, I will require a roll to see if you can find any non-snake tracks in all this
Levin inspects the tracks…
Levin rolled up 1d10+5: 10 (10)
Avan rolled up 1d10+5: 12 (12)
[OOC] Dust: …half-rank roll or full rank roll for tracking discipline?
[OOC] LW GM: half
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 6 (6)
LW GM: Avan is the first to spot the half obscured tracks of at least one man. It looks like the giant snake were following him/them.
Avan points them out.
Avan does so silently, just in case.
Levin nods, gestures to Dust. Using a common hunter's gesture-language, he signs "Giant snakes chasing at least one human."
Dust raises one hand, a signal for silence as his gaze casts around, seeking the source of the danger.
Rhavi examines the hull. How hard would it be to replace this particular bit?
LW GM: As near as he can tell, the danger is beneath his feet. There is an eruption from the earth as a mandibled head rises up from the ground. It heads towards the group, slithering on the body of a giant earthworm. This is nothing like Avan or Dust have seen before ((Though I will allow a half rank roll for Levin to identify the thing.)).
Levin rolled up 1d10+2: 5 (5)
Dust falls back, hand on sword, shield already falling into hand.
LW GM: Levin deduces that it is a giant mandabled earthworm.
[OOC] LW GM: I'd leave that bit off your resume
LW GM: As it slithers towards the group, you see other similar heads poke their way out of the ground.
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License