12 May 13

LW GM: After your eyes finish adjusting to the gloom (and Rhavi lights his branch) you see that there are fresh tracks in the soot and dirt. Human tracks and spider tracks. Something seems off about some of the spider tracks though.
Dust pauses a moment to investigate the spider tracks.
Levin investigates these spider tracks as well…
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 11 (11)
[OOC] Levin: She's going to shaft me later, isn't she.
[OOC] LW GM: Dust, make a similar roll.
[OOC] LW GM: And yes she is.
[OOC] Avan: Always
Dust rolled up 1d10+3: 5 (5) ((This is why we can't have nice things.))
[OOC] Levin: Yes. Yes, it is.
GrimBeard looks around the area, monitoring our perimeter for any would be attackers.
LW GM: Some of the tracks seem to be made by one creature… except it can't be a spider. Too many legs and it's almost as if some of them were club-footed.
Levin: "By the gods… have they moved on to other vermin to 'enhance'?"
[OOC] Dust: Its the mannequin spider from silent hill: revelations. we are in silent hill. just fall on your sword.
Dust: "We can only hope it is 'vermin'."
[OOC] LW GM: No no no. Don't be silly. Silent Hill would be too far out of genera. This is just Ravenloft.
Avan: "One would think they should first enhance themselves. But then they would no longer serve the dark powers."
[OOC] Dust: That is a relief.
Rhavi: "This is where we expect the demon to be, yes? I doubt that it is simple vermin."
[OOC] Avan: Or perhaps Ravenholm?
[OOC] Levin: But…We don't go to Ravenholm.
[OOC] LW GM: Never played Half Life.
Dust: "This is probably the most recent place the demon was, and the location of our front line." Dust glances around the ruined fort. "Which has since fallen."
LW GM: The tracks of the many-legged spider go towards the dungeon. The other footprints, human and spider, go everywhere.
Rhavi: "Regardless, we have no way to track it, so we have to search here for clues to its whereabouts. I have half a mind to fire the fort and see what comes out."
Dust indicates the scorch marks and soot. "Besides us?"
Levin: "Let's flush out this too-many-legged vermin from the fort first, if it's still here. I don't like the thought of having such a creature behind me on our way toward our last encounter with the Cenerese."
Levin: "And I doubt fire's going to do much, given the lack of flammables."
Avan: "We can look for some. Make sure they do not plan to do the same to us."
GrimBeard: "Les' git these bastahds"
Levin: "…Exactly how much firewood do you think you'd need to burn out this fort a second time? No. We don't have the time for that, and even if we did we'd probably get attacked in the process."
Rhavi shrugs and continue son
Avan follows.
Dust: "Yes, but we have a dwarven gunner, and GrimBeard is uniquely talented with… fire."
GrimBeard smiles.
GrimBeard: "Ta put it mildly."
[OOC] Dust: Are there stairs or ladders or great gaping pits with a pole by which we can access the lower levels, or do we unleash the Grim?
Avan: "Mainly, it is one more avenue by which this could be a trap."
Levin: "Explosives, yes. But can he ensure his explosives won't tear up the land beyond the fort beyond what's already been done?"
LW GM: There is a spiral staircase leading downward, quite an elegant design for what for all appearances is a strictly utilitarian military fortification, wide enough so that the entire group can walk down it side-by-side.
[OOC] Dust: Send the explosives expert down first. His… umm… because… ahh… oh, he has a lower center of gravity.
Levin: "More to the point, I believe the King would have something to say about destroying an otherwise sound fortification and the price of rebuilding thereunto."
Avan: "…at what point do we worry more about there still being a King to complain, by the time we are done?"
Rhavi: "Would they be the same words he would use if we die in the dark and lose the only hope for the kingdom?"
Levin: "If we blew it up and still didn't destroy whatever vermin is lurking with in? Probably."
[OOC] GrimBeard: Ah say we nuke tha site from orbit. Ehs tha only way ta be shure.
[OOC] Avan: Step 1: get to orbit. Step 1a: …without asphyxiating, as there are no spaceships to be had.
Dust: "We do not. If we do not succeed, then Sommerlund is most likely lost, and with it the primary deterrent against invasion from the Dark Lands. The only other force that might handle the demon are the Dessi mages, who are several hundred miles away."
[OOC] LW GM: And they don't get their teleporting grandmaster back until book 3.
[OOC] Dust: By the way, 'several hundred miles' is more like 'three times further away than Durenor, a trip that almost killed us numerous times, and that's if we cross the biggest desert in Magnamund, which is large enough to comfortably fit all of Telchos'. In case anyone was planning on not heroing up.
Dust rolled up 1d10+3: 7 (7) ((why am I doing this))
[OOC] Avan: Crossing a desert you say?
[OOC] LW GM: The usual reason
Rhavi feels the soot, rubbing it between his fingers
Levin sends his awareness into the stone beneath him. It's not quite as good as non-manhandled earth, but…can he sense any beasts nearby? Particularly any affected by Cenerese magic.
LW GM: Dust almost misses it, in the already known and accepted danger of simply being in this area, but there is danger heading your way. Not a threat by itself but should an alarm be raised. Now that he is paying attention, he can hear the soft scuff of boots on sooty stone. You have seconds before whoever, or whatever, it is turns the corner and enters the room.
Rhavi: "What is it, Dust?"
Dust pivots slightly, turning towards the sound of boots on stone. ((If this is a PC, I'm walking down the hallway and punching the GM.)) "We are not alone."
Rhavi draws his steel
Avan fades into the shadows.
Levin draws his bow and steps back to give him some range.
GrimBeard readies Bessie.
LW GM: A robed figure turns the corner and enters the room. Paying you no heed, he heads towards the entrance to another room. About half way to the doorway he pauses, reality evidently penetrating his preoccupation.
Dust glances at Levin, as his senses are more keenly attuned towards the Cener than Dust's.
LW GM: This is a Cener, occupied with some task.
Rhavi pauses, looking to Dust and Levin
Levin doesn't give the Cenerese time to do much more than notice there are people here, and shoots.
[OOC] Levin: CS?
Rhavi: "Ah. One of them."
[OOC] Dust: That, or Levin has suddenly gone crazy. Since he just handed out a bunch of roots and twigs that are like plate mail but better in every way, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.
LW GM: Levin's shot flies true felling the Cener, though not before he manages to give a cry of alarm. There are hurried footsteps and cries converging on your location.
[OOC] Rhavi: So since Levin just shot…how does turn order work out?
[OOC] LW GM: Levin got a turn. Levin ended the combat. Turn order would now be to pick over it's corpse.
[OOC] LW GM: But you have other considerations…
GrimBeard readies Bessie to shoot the first person through that door, if it be a foe.
Levin: "Right. Next time, Avan gets the drop."
Levin scowls at the corpse.
Rhavi switches to the throwing knives for a ranged melee
Avan: "There's a reason I stab for the throat, when stealth is desired."
Avan remains in the shadows.
LW GM: At the keening cry of alarm, Cener rush into the room brandishing short wands that fire deadly green beams ((CS 24. Creature(s) of Darkness. Can Be Mindblasted.))
Avan does indeed get the drop on one of them.
Avan rolled up Ratio: -5 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -9 (Can Be Fire-Bitten Too)
LW GM: The room is small enough that no more than ten people can reasonably fight within it.
[OOC] Dust: So we're not outnumbered yet, but there are more in the halls and in the ceiling just looking for a way to drop in…
LW GM: Avan's handbolt strikes the first Cener in the room (that Levin did not fell), setting it's robe a light, but he grimaces in pain and soldiers on.
[OOC] LW GM: Next GB
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 0 RNT: 1 Player: -4 Enemy: -4
GrimBeard takes aim and fires Bessie.
LW GM: The second Cener draws his wand, aims, and fires just as GrimBeard draws Bessie, aims and fires, with similar results.
[OOC] LW GM: Next
Levin: "Ouch. Sniper duel…with magic and a hand cannon."
Dust rolled up Ratio: -3 RNT: 3 Player: -4 Enemy: -4 ((A single bow-shot before melee makes the… medicine go down, the medicine go down…))
Levin rolled up Ratio: -7 RNT: 6 Player: -4 Enemy: -5 (Let's see if we can do an arrow in the knee.)
LW GM: The third Cener squares off with Dust, his want glowing rather than firing it's beam. The fight soon goes to melee and then corps de corps, each person taking injuries.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -8 RNT: 2 Player: -6 Enemy: -1 (fire 1!, and no damage))
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -8 RNT: 5 Player: -5 Enemy: -4 (fire 2! and no damage)
LW GM: Levin's shot flies, causing the fourth Cener to stumble and fall, but his face a rictus of pain he aims his wand at Levin, determined to take him with him.
Rhavi whips a pair of knives through the air at the Cener in the doorway
[OOC] LW GM: I assume you choose *not* to use deadly edge?
[OOC] LW GM: Ah. You're range. never mind.
[OOC] Rhavi: I can't very well throw the scimitar can I?
[OOC] Levin: haha
[OOC] Avan: Round 2 now?
[OOC] Avan: Also, you totally can!
LW GM: Rhavi's knives drink deep of the tainted Cener blood.
[OOC] LW GM: Round 2. **FIGHT**
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 0 RNT: 3 Player: -3 Enemy: -6
GrimBeard readies Bessie for round 2.
Rhavi jerks up the scimitar for the second go
LW GM: Bessie barks and the Cener dies, though not before he gets one final shot in on GrimBeard.
Dust rolled up Ratio: -3 RNT: 3 Player: -4 Enemy: -4 ((In melee and dodging rot beams all the live long day.))
Avan rolled up Ratio: -5 RNT: 1 Player: -6 Enemy: -1 (Avan strangles his target in the foe's own burning robes, adding a bit more fire to the conflagration)
LW GM: The battle between Dust and the Cener continues. The Cener displaying surprising agility for someone encumbered by thick robes.
LW GM: The Cener manages to work his wand between the robes and his neck, saving his airflow and lining up perfectly to blast Avan.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin next?
Levin rolled up Ratio: -7 RNT: 2 Player: -6 Enemy: -1 (another shot, woo.)
[OOC] Levin: Ow.
[OOC] LW GM: Wow. Looks like Chessa has totally forgotten about numbers greater than five.
Rhavi leaps forward with the scimitar flashing
[OOC] LW GM: Single strike?
Rhavi rolled up 18 24: 18 (18), 24 (24) (first round of melee, but since they have ranged…damage or not?)
[OOC] Rhavi: damn
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 5 Player: -4 Enemy: -5 (questions till stands though)
[OOC] LW GM: There really can't be ranged in this room. GrimBeard isn't using his shot or powder either. The only ranged attack was Levin's initial pre-fight shot.
[OOC] LW GM: And yes I am narrating some of these as ranged attacks, but this is a melee.
[OOC] Rhavi: k
LW GM: As the Cener falls, another Cener, with more ornate robes and a slightly longer wand joins the fray, moving to engage GrimBeard ((CS 28. Creature of Darkness. Can Be Mindblasted.))
[OOC] LW GM: Round 3
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 7 Player: -1 Enemy: -8
GrimBeard cracks the one approaching him with Bessie.
LW GM: The Cener Arch-Druid grazes GrimBeard with his beam, but cries out in pain as Bessie impacts bone that suddenly learns new and exciting ways to bend.
[OOC] LW GM: Dust!
Dust rolled up Ratio: -3 RNT: 6 Player: -2 Enemy: -7 ((Smacks his shield upside the Cener's head, lining him up for a decisive thrust.))
Avan rolled up Ratio: -5 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: -8 (Thrusts his Cener at Dust's Cener)
LW GM: The shield's impact hurts Dust more than he expected as the vibration runs up his arm. Still, it does line the Cener up beautifully.
LW GM: Avan manages to work his Cener back far enough that Dust's thrust grazes Avan's Cener, doing enough damage to kill him.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin
Levin rolled up Ratio: -7 RNT: 0 Player: -8 Enemy: 0 (Let's stab him again, hmm?)
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 6 Player: -3 Enemy: -6
[OOC] Levin: I said 'stab /him/ again', Chessa, not 'stab /me/ again'.
Rhavi cuts tierce and then thrusts
LW GM: Levin stumbles as he goes for the thrust, leaving him open and the Cener smiles at he takes the opportunity. Or at least Levin assumes he smiles.
LW GM: The Cener mistimes his parry, opening up a long gash on his arm and knocking his blast at Rhavi off mark.
[OOC] LW GM: Round 4
LW GM: Avan has dispatched his opponent and at the moment can pick his target. ((Dust isn't paying Avan any attention and he would be sooo eeasy…))
[OOC] Avan: Too easy. :P
[OOC] LW GM: Bessie! I mean GrimBeard!
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 1 Player: -5 Enemy: -2
[OOC] Avan: GB & Dust first, though
GrimBeard attempts to finish off the Cener who was stupid enough to approach him.
LW GM: GrimBeard is eager to end his opponent, and the Arch Druid exploits that fact, feigning an opening and luring GrimBeard off balance, then striking while GrimBeard's guard it down. It is not a perfect tactic as Bessie does impact the arch druid in the knee, but GrimBeard faired far worse in that exchange than he did.
[OOC] LW GM: Dust!
Dust rolled up Ratio: -3 RNT: 1 Player: -5 Enemy: -2 ((Lays the sword aside the Cener's neck and sees what he does.))
Dust: (Clearly I should not give the enemies options.)
Avan rolled up Ratio: -5 RNT: 7 Player: -2 Enemy: -7 (Avan is now grappling a burning Cener corpse, and does the logical thing: shoves it at Levin's foe)
LW GM: The Cener's eyes widen as he realizes he lives only due to his enemy's mercy. He shoots a blast at Dust without looking, hitting only due to luck and not skill, before turning and running out of the room.
[OOC] LW GM: You got a runner.
[OOC] Dust: He's small, had to throw him back.
Levin retrieves his bow and shoots the fucker in the back. :I
Levin rolled up Ratio: -7 RNT: 1 Player: -7 Enemy: 0 (no damage cos enemy is fleeing)
Rhavi disengages form his foe (evasion) and leaps after Dust's escaping Cener
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -8 RNT: 8 Player: -2 Enemy: -7
LW GM: Levin's opponent was expecting arrows… not the corpse of his fellow Cener flying towards him. He manages to let out a bemused 'huh?' before being knocked off his feet.
[OOC] Rhavi: snicker snak bitch
LW GM: The Arch-Druid seeing the battle going badly for him calls out a retreat. As one the remaining Cener turn to flee.
[OOC] Rhavi: Had a jay and silent bob moment….
[OOC] LW GM: Jedi Mind Trick?
[OOC] Levin: Good time to stop, I think.
[OOC] LW GM: One of the reasons they are retreating, yes.
[OOC] LW GM: Last posts.
Rhavi snarls at the fleeing Cener, barely resisting the urge to chase them down
Dust is above chasing down the Cener, who are definitely not running back to their demonic master… sigh. Goes after the Cener.
Levin draws another arrow and gives chase.
Rhavi gives in and runs them down
GrimBeard attempts to trip up any slower Cener before they get too far away.
Avan picks up his handbolt then tries to beat the Cener to the door.
LW GM: As the group gives chase to the fleeing Cener a baritone voice echos from everywhere and nowhere "Ska'than tovoiuhr Naar tovoiurh" and the Cener erupt into smokeless green flames, incinerating them instantly.
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License