14 May 12

LW GM: *** LOG START ***
LW GM: The summer heat in the small port town of Durenthar is punishing to put it mildly. You all slept fitfully on whatever small beds of hay and straw you could fashion in the rented barn. Still, when dawn does come you do feel somewhat more invigorated than you did the previous night. None of you were at your best, but you do vaguely recall warnings about going any further down stream.
LW GM: Warnings that mostly consist of the "no one's ever returned from there." variety.
Levin 's already up, having woken at daybreak to get started on this day's rounds before loading the ship up—again.
Avan brushed them off. Downstream is the capital of Sommerlund. People go there and return all the time.
Rhavi wanders into the barn with his rangy grey hound bitch following him silently as always.
Avan did not, though, get this far by being a total fool. Ships are not his thing, so he takes the time to familiarize himself with their transport.
Rhavi wanders over to Levin, stepping softly around sleeping people who are piled up like cordwood in teh hay.
Levin: "Mornin', Rhavi."
Rhavi: "I hope so, Levin. No one seems to have followed us, but the waters are strange today."
Grimbeard Thunderfoot is still asleep.
Avan: "How so?" Avan wanders back from the ship.
Levin: "Strange, hmm? In a manner that merits Herbalish attention?"
LW GM: The waters to Levin's untrained eye look perfectly normal and relatively clean.
Rhavi: "The //Albatross// rides lower today than it should. There will be a storm today."
Avan: "Is that because there is more water about, pushed forth by the incoming storm?"
LW GM: As if on cue, the wind begins to pick up. No rain or thunder, yet, but it's still a strong breeze.
Rhavi: He shrugs "It is because there will be a storm."
Grimbeard sits bolt upright, still asleep.
Grimbeard: "Would ya all mine keepin' it down? The dragon will na be asleep foreva!"
Grimbeard slumps backward, fully asleep againn.
Levin looks to the sky, then nods. His weather-eye is still developing, but there's nothing which would cause him to /dis/agree with the pirate.
Avan: "…right. Everyone into where it's safe."
Avan: "Will the ship shelter us?"
Avan: "If not, we shelter here."
Rhavi: "Master Grimbeard. It is time to get up and be on the waters before it is too late."
Rhavi: "She'll carry us through." He pauses for a moment. "Well…maybe. I have never really tried sailing on a stormy river. It shouldn't be too hard."
Levin prods Grimbeard with a booted foot. "I will refrain from 'wakey wakey, eggs & bakey', but only if you're awake in the next ten minutes."
Grimbeard snorts, waking up.
[OOC] Levin: Timing! :D
Grimbeard: "Ahm awake!"
Grimbeard looks around with weary eyes.
Rhavi: "The lack of snores did clue us in."
Grimbeard: "What'd I miss?"
Avan: "Storm's coming."
Dust: "Nothing much. Time to move."
Avan: "Everyone onto the boat. If we're going, we're going now."
Rhavi has already started helping weary people to their feet
Avan rallies people to the boat.
Rhavi: "Not much farther, master Nine-toe…"
Levin sets to getting everyone up, distributing liquid wakefulness by the mug as they exit the barn.
LW GM: The water is becomming rougher with the boat bobbing up and down enough to cause seasickness in some people just by looking at it.
LW GM: The rope the moors the boat is begining to make some /disturbing/ creaking sounds.
Avan: "Move! Move!"
Grimbeard gathers his equipment quickly to catch up with everyone else.
Dust looks to the last of the stragglers, guiding them onto the boat, offering the captain an arched brow.
[OOC] Levin: Fortunately, everyone's favourite Herbalish already put anti-emetics in. ¬.¬
Grimbeard: "Ahma comin!"
Avan is in contrast to Grimbeard, sleeping with his equipment - so it never goes away even if the land moves while he sleeps. Which has happened.
Levin repairs aboard as soon as the last of his unfortunate charges is aboard.
Rhavi: "Lightfoot, Burrs! Get ready to cast off. The rest of you sea dogs get to the sails! One-eye to the forepeak to watch fo rrocks."
Rhavi whistles sharply and the grey hound leaps onto the gangplank and races up to teh quarterdeck
LW GM: Just before Grimbeard gets on-board the roap makes a loud *snap* and boat begins to move away from the dock.
[OOC] Dust: Stupid rope.
[OOC] LW GM: Grimbeard needs to make a roll to get on board or get *wet*
Avan is onboard. Grabs the rope, tosses it out. "Grab on! You're the last one, Grimbeard!"
Avan: "Someone help me haul him aboard!"
[OOC] LW GM: Wet it is…
[OOC] Dust: ….seriously, man? Getting wet isn't that bad…
Rhavi grabs the flying end of the rope out of the air, and without a moment's hesitation leaps to the railing and over the side toward the dwarf. He swings in a long arc, intercepting the dwarf to help hold him fast to the ship. "
[OOC] Levin: You need to roll 1d10-1, dood.
Avan braces the ship end of the rope, then, to let Rhavi do his thing.
Grimbeard rolled up 1d10-1: 2 (2)
[OOC] Dust: …and in the drink.
LW GM: Grimbeard manages to get a hold of the roap, but the roap is already slick with river water and he can't maintain his grip. Down into the drink.
Avan: "Rhavi! I'll tie some spare rope on and swing you lower so you can fish him out!"
Rhavi waves his assent rather than wasting his breath shouting
Avan gets out his rope and does that, in between Rhavi's swing's pendulum arcs. Speed rope tying go!
Grimbeard tries to swim and keep himself afloat as best as possible.
Avan then braces, letting out a little more, a little more…there, enough (hopefully) for him to scoop up the dwarf.
[OOC] LW GM: Rahavi, make a roll with a bonus of +2 (so 1d10+1)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+1: 4 (4)
LW GM: Rhavi manages to get an arm around Grimbeard's waist and still maintain his grip on the rope that Avan is holding. Why with some minor luck, both of them might be on the deck of the boat shortly.
Avan: "Someone help me pull them aboard!"
[OOC] LW GM: Avan. Standard roll to haul them up.
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 5 (5)
[OOC] LW GM: If Levin want's to help, that's +2
Avan strains to pull them up.
Rhavi wraps his feet around the dwarf and cinches in as close to the rope as he can get.
[OOC] Levin: Is help required? :p
LW GM: It's far too early in the morning for this crap, but with your aching thews, you manage to haul the pirate + dwarf out of the river and on to the deck of the boat.
[OOC] Rhavi: He's a brick football…what do you think?
[OOC] LW GM: It was a good enough roll, I was just banking on chessa being chessa.
Avan pants a bit…then unties his rope and restashes it. The ship can keep its broken rope.
Dust nods. "Shall we get back to the business of sailing now?"
Rhavi rolls over, dripping water onto the deck, his sodden clothing leaving trails in his wake.
Rhavi: "We already are."
Avan crawls to the fore deck. Lookout for rock was needed? He can do that. That doesn't even require standing.
LW GM: Indeed, with Rhavi on his rescue mission, no one is piloting the boat, and the current is picking up speed, and hey, are those rocks up ahead?
Rhavi nods to the rock sentry, letting him know that Avan can be where he is
Rhavi scurries up the ladder to the helm, taking it from the mate's hands.
Avan: "Rocks ahoy!"
Rhavi: "Go secure the passengers."
Grimbeard rolls over panting.
Grimbeard looks at Rhavi.
Grimbeard: "Thank ya lad."
Avan: "Aye." Avan - still not completely upright, but having caught his breath - heads to the hold where the passengers are.
Grimbeard: "Ahll never sleep in agin"
Rhavi nods to the dwarf and pulls the wheel to port
Grimbeard begins collecting himself and checking his gear.
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi, roll 1d10+1 (You're a buccaneer +5, but your soaking wet and tired from your unexpected exertion -3)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+1: 11 (11)
Levin 's in the hold, bolstering the passengers' systems with anti-nausea tea where needful.
LW GM: Rhavi stears a tight course around the rocks, but now you can see that the river is branching into tributaries.
LW GM: There are two tributaries that are large enough to accomidate your boat.
Rhavi: "Balls! Piebald! Deploy sweeps and get everyone who isn't pukin' their guts out on 'em!"
Grimbeard is specifically checking for damage and making sure all his items are in working order.
Dust closes his eyes. "Take the right branch."
Rhavi steers starboard and into the tributary
Rhavi: "Row you seadogs! Row!"
[OOC] LW GM: Wouldn't becomming a river pirate be a step down for a seadog?
[OOC] Rhavi: Yeah, if he were thinking about the orders he was shouting instead of piloting his ship maybe
[OOC] LW GM: Still, with the economy…
[OOC] Avan: One does what one must, and most of the Darklands are not along the sea.
Avan is conscripted into rowing crew. Okay…definitely a new experience for him.
LW GM: You manage the turn into the starboard tributary. The waters calm down somewhat, but you notice a reddish tinge to the water. It's not blood, it looks more like clay. This means though that the waters are getting shallower.
Rhavi starts to swear colorfully
Rhavi: "Keep rowing, take the pace down a notch now that we're in the tributary.
Rhavi: "
LW GM: And most likely because you shouldn't have taken Ishtar's name in vain, the thunderheads start rolling in.
Dust leans back against the cabin, eyes closed.
Rhavi: "Lovely. Get the really sick ones into the hammocks and tie them in."
Rhavi: "At least it's a river storm."
Rhavi: "Dwarf! Get below decks!"
LW GM: Many landlubbers think of a seabed or riverbed as flat, like some kind of underwater plane. But the truth is land is land and is just as varied and hilly wet as it is dry. Still, you think you can navigate around the underwater hills and craggy mountain peaks.
Levin assists the worst-off into hammocks, per cap'n's orders.
[OOC] LW GM: .roll with a net +4
[OOC] Rhavi: How deep is this river?
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+4: 13 (13)
[OOC] LW GM: Chessa's found a friend)).
Rhavi: ((Only because I'm on the water…when we hit land it will be straight 1's and 2's))
[OOC] Avan: Just leading him on until she can shun him.
LW GM: You skillfully naviate around the shallows, somethimes by visual clues, but mostly by pure Istar-granted instinct.
Grimbeard gets below decks to continue checking on his gear.
Rhavi unconsciously starts to hum. More of a nervous reaction than anything else…
LW GM: The skies have the good grace to let you pass through the shallows before unleashing the storm upon you. From noon to practically midnight in the space of two minutes. Also horizontal rain is hitting you all in the faces (except for Grimbeard).
Avan tries to take cover around the paddleholes.
[OOC] Rhavi: Sweeps are below decks..Avan should be dry
Rhavi: ((Actually everyone should be dry except Rhavi and the crew. If not he'll yell at them to get out of the way and get below))
[OOC] Avan: Horizontal rain. The oars need holes to go out through.
[OOC] LW GM: Not with large oar holes to nail him through.
[OOC] Avan: Although, Levin's probably fine. Where's Dust?
LW GM: It is dark enough that you can not see the shore.
[OOC] LW GM: You can press on, but there will be a /massive/ penalty to any further piloting checks.
[OOC] Dust: He's leaning against the cabin.
Rhavi sighs heavily
Avan: "Ahh, and I thought storms like this only happened at home."
Rhavi: "Drop anchor! Furl the sails!"
Avan: "Heh. I wonder if this thing could do sand as well as water."
LW GM: Rhavi has seen worse storms than this, but never one that came up so quickly.
Avan: "If we're dropping anchor, do we keep sweeping?"
Levin: "Now…are storms like this common to the region, or are there other dangers which would cause those upstream to warn against shipping down?"
Avan sees the anchor drop through the oarhole.
Rhavi has teh first mate securing the sweeps, pulling them in and locking them in place before battening the oar holes
Avan helps with that, then.
[OOC] Rhavi: who is Levin talking to?)
[OOC] Levin: Whichever of the PCs is in earshot.
[OOC] Avan: Himmself?
[OOC] Rhavi: Not me then
[OOC] Avan: Probably Dust & Grimbeard, then.
Rhavi sends runners for Levin, Dust, and Grimbeard to meet him in his cabin
Dust: ->Levin: "It isn't the worst I've seen, but neither was it commonplace." He pushes off from the cabin, turning to go below decks, nodding tot he runners.
[OOC] LW GM: So are you drifing down the river
Levin issues stern orders to the crewman serving as his assistant before moving thataway.
Rhavi: ((I anchored us.))
[OOC] LW GM: k
[OOC] Rhavi: + Avan on runners
Avan comes when summoned. A giant floating wooden…thing. Well, it does seem to be the answer to so much water.
Rhavi: "We seem to have gained someone's ire."
Levin: "I'd be pretty pissed, too, if I just lost a full complement of labourers."
LW GM: In a brief lull in the conversation, you can all hear… a sound. Tick. Tick. Tick. It's not mechanical or even particlularly rhythmic, but it is there… and you also notice it's the /only/ sound you hear over the roaring wind. The crew are awefully quiet.
Rhavi 's cabin is cozy if not comfortable. The cabinets are firmly locked, and a large map of the area is pinned to the table. There is only one chair and a fold down bunk.
Dust: "Pardon me if…" Dust tilts his head, listening. "Interesting."
LW GM: Though in truth you are less hearing the ticking as /feeling/ it through the wood of the ship.
Levin headtilts, too, attempting to localise the source of the sound by traversing the cabin…
Rhavi: "What is that?" He stands and heads to the door, looking through the small window for signs of the crew.
Avan cocks his head, trying to locate which way it is coming from.
LW GM: Of there crew out on the deck, there is no sign. Not even the lantern lights they should have to help keep themselves dry and warm.
[OOC] Dust: As in, crew is totally missing?
[OOC] Rhavi: Or the deck is?
[OOC] LW GM: The deck is /probably/ there, but without any light you can't say for certain. The crew are definitely either very still, or gone.
Avan: "…this is not right."
Levin: "…Right. That's unnatural." He scrounges up a lantern from the cabin and heads outside, having already developed sea legs by now.
Rhavi grabs the lantern on the table and heads topside
Grimbeard also tilts his head, trying to find the source of the noise
Avan: "Let us hope it is just darkness."
Dust smiles thinly. "It is never just darkness."
Avan sticks with Rhavi.
Dust quietly slips from the cabin, senses open and scanning.
LW GM: Rhavi leads the way out the door, but is stopped short by.. a rope.. streached across the cabin entryway. A very *sticky* rope.
[OOC] LW GM: If you want to extract youself from the very sticky rope, I'll want a roll.
Avan: "…"
Avan looks at the rope. Is it the same kind the ship had, or is it obviously someone else's rope?
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
Rhavi: ((See..told you so))
[OOC] Dust: Yay chessa!
[OOC] Avan: Yep.
Dust draws his sword.
[OOC] LW GM: It's actually, rather obviously *not* a rope. It's just felt like one at first.
Rhavi slips his scimitar from its scabbard and draws a short, wide, ugly looking knife with his other hand. He uses the latter to hack at the rope
LW GM: From the angle he's, very securely, stuck in, he can't see it, but he can hear and feel the tick tick tick comming up from behind him.
Avan braids handbolt to shiel-fa.
Levin doesn't unsheath his sword—yet—but he does loosen it in his scabbard.
Avan: "Is this that 'Frog' I have heard about?"
Rhavi: "Avan…" his voice is laden with forced calm "Would you mind seeing what is sneaking up on us while I try to get out of this?"
Avan peeks behind Rhavi. What can he see?
Avan: "Looking."
Rhavi keeps sawing at the "rope"
LW GM: Avan peers into the gloom. Yes, something is definitly getting closer. Something quite large. Something… with eight legs.
LW GM: tick tick tick
Levin considers. Is there a window he can smash through?
Avan: "Eight legs."
Avan: "I doubt it is friendly."
Rhavi: "Not a frog then…"
Levin: "My guess? Giant spider."
LW GM: There is a window, and there does not seem to be a 'rope' strong across it, though you might just not be able to see it.
Avan steps aside. "Friends. Get Rhavi free."
Rhavi: "A good guess. I could use some help here since I am held fast."
Avan: "Your blades are more suited to it."
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 2 (2)
Grimbeard prepares his axe, as shooting his gun inside the ship could be dangerous for all.
[OOC] Rhavi: glares at teh dice-bot
LW GM: You manage to not get your sword stuck on the clearly-it-can't-be-anything-but-a rope, but do not manage to cut it.
Levin leaps through the window, landing outside in a roll. He quickly stands again once out and unsheathes his shortsword, then goes over to the 'cable' strung across the door and slashes at it.
Avan follows Levin outside, and bears upon the spider.
Grimbeard rolled up 1d10-1: 7 (7)
LW GM: Grimbeard manages to find a pouder pouch that does not appear to have been soaked through.
Grimbeard starts preparing his gun.
LW GM: Now that Levin is outside of the cabin, he can see that the spider is dragging what is most likely two of the crewmembers cocooned in it's webs. It seems to be trying to leave.
Levin: "Two crewmen ensnared! Grimbeard, help Rhavi out! Avan, Dust, and I will try and get its attention and, if we're lucky, slay it before it can get away."
Dust steps closer to Rhavi, his blade flicking in an arc to assist the buccaneer with reclaiming his freedom.
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 2 (2)
LW GM: With both sides of the web cut, Rhavi can now move, and possibly even fight. (-2 CS penalty for the first two rounds.)
Avan: "Right. Let's stop it before it can get off the ship." SERPENT'S SPEED! IMPALE! BITE OF FIRE!
[OOC] LW GM: That penalty is to Rhavi only.
[OOC] Levin: Break now, fight Wed? <.<
[OOC] LW GM: Didn't notice the time. Yeah, break now.
LW GM: *** LOG END ***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License