16 Dec 12

LW GM: ***LOG START***
LW GM: After your grim discovery aboard the ruin of The Dauntless, Levin fashions poultices and potions both to aid Telmar's healing, and to rouse him to wakefulness. Levin gathers you all and says that Telmar should be gaining consciousness soon. Your patience is rewarded when, after a wait of ten minutes, Telmar opens his eyes.
LW GM: Telmar looks at your grim faces and opens his mouth. His voice is little more than a hoarse croak.
LW GM: <Telmar> "Who else made it out?"
Avan: "Not many."
Avan: "Not the captain."
LW GM: Telmar lets out a groan.
Telmar: "What happened?"
Avan: "That rune caught fire. Caught the whole ship."
Rhavi: "As near as we can tell the dark sigil that the captain would not have removed erupted into flame."
Avan: "By surprise, I'd guess, given where we found the bodies."
Rhavi: "What do you remember, Telmar?"
Telmar: "I was chasing a stowaway across one of the lower decks. I saw him dive through a window… and the next thing I remember is you people looking down at me."
Avan: "…"
Rhavi: "Describe the stow away."
Avan looks to Rhavi. "What is a 'stowaway'?'
Rhavi: "Someone who sneaks on board for a free ride."
LW GM: "Didn't get a good look at him, but he was wearing mage robes, like him." He raises a shaky finger at Kanden.
LW GM: "'cept his were cleaner and in better shape."
Avan: "…" Avan tries to process this notion.
Avan: "…and they don't get caught before the first day's out?"
Avan: "Would not their consumption of supplies be noticed?"
Rhavi: "Sometimes they do." He shrugs "So..a magi on board and the ship goes up in flames. We need to get away form the ship."
Levin continues applying such treatments as he can muster, both to help Telmar regain his strength and to keep him conscious enough to keep answering.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin. Make a half-rank roll.
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 6 (6)
Rhavi: "How long until we can move him, Levin?"
LW GM: It is Levin's estimation that if Telmar lives through the night, it will be nothing less than a divine miracle.
Levin: "I wouldn't advise it unless you have some immediate danger. That ship doesn't qualify at this point."
Rhavi: "Hm. I would not say that. Unless you are sure that the sigil is done?"
Avan: "The sigil is destroyed."
Avan points to its pieces over yonder.
Avan: "I'd say it is done."
GrimBeard continues to scout the area looking for anything that would put us in immediate danger.
Levin: "There you go, then. Unless there's another sigil, which I strongly recommend you look for one just to be on the safe side, you'd do more harm than good attempting to move him right now."
GrimBeard: "Boss, ah'm a gonna look aroun' a bit, if'n that is OK wit ya."
Rhavi waves to Grim to go ahead.
Telmar: "If you don't have any more questions, I think I'd like to get some shut eye."
GrimBeard nods and begins to scout the immediate area.
Levin: "Go ahead." He lets the man rest.
Rhavi: "Levin, a word please."
Levin steps back a bit, motions the others to follow. "If he lasts the night I will be very surprised. And in awe of Ishir or Kai."
Rhavi: "Well, that settles it then…So do we leave him in hands that are less than capable, or complete our mission?"
Levin: "I would be derelict in my duty to leave a man who is this injured if there is any chance at all that he might live."
Dust: "Is there more that you can do for him?"
[OOC] LW GM: Levin, not really.
Levin: "At this point, only time will tell. If there's a healer in town I can instruct, I will hand him over to the healer and we can be on our merry."
Avan kneels next to the man, channelling Ishir's blessing to soothe his wounds while the others talk.
Rhavi shakes his head
Rhavi: "He will be dead by morning. Whoever started this fire will see to that. Kanden, can you care for him?"
Levin: "Was that about what you wanted to discuss, Rhavi? Or did you have other matters on your mind?"
Rhavi: "Mostly that. We need to leave. Right away. I wanted to see how sentimental you were going to be."
LW GM: Telmar's wounds react angrily to Avan's interference and burn him ((-3 End)).
[OOC] Rhavi: Or Avan can kill him now…
Kanden: "I will do everything I can for him."
Levin: "…I was afraid something like that was going to happen."
[OOC] LW GM: Read that again. Telmar didn't attack Avan, his wounds did.
[OOC] Dust: Clarify: Was Avan attacked by Telmar's wounds, or was Telmar attacked by Telmar's wounds?
Levin pulls out a notepad and scrawls some hasty notes, then tears off the sheet and passes it to Kanden. "Gather these and apply them as part of a poultice or tea, per the notes."
[OOC] Levin: Would Ren note END loss for an NPC?
[OOC] LW GM: Avan was attacked by Telmar's wounds.
Avan backs away. "That…has never happened before."
[OOC] LW GM: And I would, but I would also let you know what he started with so it might actually be informative for you.
[OOC] Dust: Levin: As a metric for 'ya done screwed up, you soppy PCs now don't do that again', yes.
Levin: "Magical fire produces magical wounds. I only haven't been singed by it because my healing arts are nonmagical."
Rhavi: "The spell is clinging to him still?"
Dust: "If it is magical, then there is a chance that the magic of the Crystal Star can break it. However, that leaves little for us to do."
Levin: "Looks like it, if Avan's attempt to invoke Ishir caused the feedback it did. Best leave it to Kanden, though."
Rhavi: "Then we need to be on out way."
Rhavi looks around for GrimBeard
GrimBeard is not far from the area.
Dust: "He ventured in that direction, possibly to scout."
Avan: "Aye, let us go." Avan begins making his way toward the gate.
Kanden: "It is a curse, designed to attack anyone who tries to use magic to heal Telmar. I don't think I could break it, this is powerful magic."
Avan: "Rhavi, shall we be meeting your ship?"
Levin: "All the curses we've been dealing with are. We'll be able to lift it by defeating our foe, I expect."
Dust: "Kanden, is this something specific for Telmar, or the same thing that struck down the rest of the crew?"
Rhavi: "We have to get there first, but yes, that is the plan."
Avan: "Can we get horses, or do we leave on foot?
Rhavi: "Horses would make it much easier…"
Kanden: "I would think it would be for the entire crew, had any of them lived as long as Telmar."
[OOC] Dust: Ren, are we going with horses costing 250 crowns a pop?
[OOC] Rhavi: Or am I stealing them?
[OOC] LW GM: We are going with 'make an offer, or a check'.
[OOC] Levin: My vote is 'requisition by Kai Lord authority'. :V
[OOC] Avan: Seconded. If the Kai Lords have authority here.
[OOC] LW GM: Hammerdal is a long ways from the monastery, but you can go for it. It's not likely to hurt… honest.
Rhavi: "Kanden, which way to the merchants market and, specifically, the livestock and horses?"
LW GM: Kanden provides directions. "I would offer you my horse, but there's no way it can carry all of you, I'm afraid."
Avan: "It's one horse, if we may."
Avan: "That's one less we'll need."
Rhavi: "Any chance of a loan from the Brotherhood?"
LW GM: "Of course. She is behind the brotherhood building."
[OOC] Dust: Hammerdal is nominally allied with Sommerlund, but that doesn't mean much to whatever horse trader is out a bunch of horses, and going to the castle is strictly against our orders.
[OOC] Rhavi: But the Brotherhood, Kanden, may have resources. Never hurts to ask first.
[OOC] LW GM: In Hammerdal, Kanden /is/ the brotherhood. And you have seen the resources at his disposal.
Rhavi: "I will be back later, gentlemen."
[OOC] Dust: Also, Rhavi, Stealing Is Wrong. Though, there's no specific mandate I know of that Kai Lords have to be Lawful Good, so Dust won't go all Paladin on your ass.
[OOC] Rhavi: I will distract him with architecture anyway.
Rhavi: "Master Grim! Busy?"
GrimBeard turns.
GrimBeard: "Nah, seen nuthin'. Whaddaya need Boss?"
[OOC] LW GM: Kai Lords are very much neutral good. They realize defending the world from Naar might put them at odds with legitimate governments.
Rhavi: "We have an errand to run. Avan, would you like to see the merchants quarter?"
GrimBeard nods and approaches Rhavi, ready to follow him.
Avan: "Sure." Avan seems a little out of it - being attacked for healing was quite a new experience.
Rhavi heads toward the market
GrimBeard follows Rhavi.
Avan does likewise.
[OOC] Rhavi: Just let us know when we get there
LW GM: The market is surprisingly empty given the time of day and the size of Hammerdal. There are still large crowds, but it is possible to make it from stall to stall without taking the rooftop express. Kanden's directions take you to the northern section of the market, where the stables are.
Levin sticks around to help Kanden move Telmar as painlessly as possible.
Rhavi scans the crowd looking for the best horseflesh, preferably with the easiest egress, as only a pirate can (Golden Eye)
Kanden: "I'm sorry Levin, but Telmar is no longer with us."
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi, make a half rank roll.
Levin: "…Well, then. Turn him over to the cadaver people." He presses a gold crown into Kanden's hands. "And make sure he gets buried proper."
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+3: 10 (10)
[OOC] Levin: Blow me. :p
Kanden: "Of course."
Levin nods, then heads on after the rest of his party.
LW GM: Rhavi picks out a truly choice selection of Appaloosas and Thoroughbred. There's even a barrel-chested Noma for GrimBeard.
LW GM: The horse trader is situated less than a stone's throw away from the marketplace entrance.
Rhavi examines the set up
[OOC] LW GM: Does dat mean youse is casing da joint?
Rhavi: "I need your crowns, gents, and a few rocks or approximate weight."
[OOC] Rhavi: I is indeed
Levin passes what few he has to Rhavi.
Rhavi: "Avan, how do you feel about starting a little fire?"
Avan: "Where?" Avan hands over some rocks.
Rhavi packs the rocks into the bottom of his pouch, filling it up, and then laying the crown son top of it to hide the stones below
[OOC] LW GM: I need your crows, your flutes, and your motorcycle.
Rhavi: "Over there by the cattle tent, well away from the hay, but near the back of the paddock."
Rhavi he points to the neighboring paddock across the way from the horse dealer
Avan nods. "Right now, or on your signal?"
Avan looks for cover nearby, and flammable material. Best not to be identified as the firestarter.
Rhavi: "On Grim's signal, actually. Grim, I need you to argue with the owner of the cattle for Avan to work. Once it's going shout " fire! " as loud as you can."
Rhavi: "Wait until the horses are saddled up and tethered together though. If I leave, fall back and we'll come up with plan B."
Avan: "Right." Avan slinks into the shadows, getting into position.
Rhavi approaches the merchant, hauling the heavy bag with him.
Rhavi: "Sir! I would like to make an offer on some of your fine steeds if you have a minute?"
GrimBeard approaches the owner of the cattle.
Avan is plotting routes, planning the best way to escape unseen.
LW GM: The weathered horse trader looks up at Rhavi's voice. "Welcome to Ronald Crimsonspan's stables. Which of my fine equines has caught your eye?"
Rhavi quickly points out the four horses.
Rhavi: "My lord would like those four, bridled and saddled, tethered together..a gift for his wife."
GrimBeard looks at the cattle, and frowns.
GrimBeard: "How much per head?"
Rhavi pats the top of the bag, making the crowns clink
LW GM: The look in Crimsonspan's eye becomes a bit less companionably and more appraising when Rhavi says the word 'lord'. "I see. Well, I can't let them go for less than 350 per head. 400 for the little Noma. He's the only Noma in Hammerdal."
Levin picks up a hefty stick out of the man's eyesight and quietly moves behind the horse trader…
Avan places his hand on the stick and quietly pulls, aiming to place it at the indicated fire spot rather than let it be used as a club.
Rhavi: "I imagine that you are overcharging me because you think I am a fool." He smiles "Since I am feeling generous I will overlook the slight and counter with 275 per head with tack included."
Levin motions a request for something more suitable?
Crimsonspan: "Not at all. I am overcharging you because I thought you might be a bit freer with your lord's money. Still I wasn't overcharging you /that/ much. 290+tack."
Rhavi considers it for a few moments and then nods
Crimsonspan: "Excellent. Let us shake on it."
Rhavi: "Very well then. I will wait here until they are ready. My lord expects me back sooner rather than later." He rolls his eyes, "The gentry have no idea how much //time// these things take."
Rhavi looks confused
Crimsonspan: "You eventually get use to it. Over half my customers are knights."
Rhavi: "is that a custom in this land? In my lord's land we only shake hands when we are ready to duel until death."
Crimsonspan: "Interesting. Here it has rather the opposite meaning. By clasping hands, you prove that you don't have a weapon hidden in your hand."
Rhavi: "Ah! Well then, let us shake hands when the deal is completed and part as friends! I must admit tat I know very little of how to saddle these animals…."
LW GM: Crimsonspan gives Rhavi a look. "I would have added another five crowns if I had known that. Very well." He goes about saddling the horses.
LW GM: Shortly, the horses are saddled and Crimsonspan stands before Rhavi with hand empty and extended.
GrimBeard is making small talk with the man about the cattle in the meantime, appearing to be interested. He asks things like price, age, etc.
Rhavi hopes that Grim has this together and smiles broadly as he shakes the man's hand
GrimBeard: "WHAT DO YA MEAN 300 a HEAD?!?!?!?"
Rhavi frowns and looks toward the apparently rude dwarf
GrimBeard: "These beasties canna be worth more'n 150 a head!?!?!?!?!"
LW GM: Crimsonspan turns to see what the commotion is about.
Rhavi drops Crimsonspan's hand, after a cursory shake and takes the lead rope.
GrimBeard: "I swear, I 'ave half a mind ta tell everyone 'bout this place. Yer trying ta steal my money!!!!!"
Rhavi: "Are all dwarves that rude?"
Avan gets ready.
Levin: "Only the upset ones."
Crimsonspan: "None of my animals are worth less than 350." he mutters to himself.
Rhavi unobtrusively looks in Avan's direction
Avan nods, drops that Bite of Fire, and SPRINTS, coming back into public view several stalls away as if he had been over there the entire time.
GrimBeard once the smoke starts showing and he can smell it a bit…
GrimBeard: "AN NOW YER PLACE IS ON FIRE TA BOOT! FIRE! Everyone out!"
Rhavi: "Fire?" "FIRE!"
Rhavi points
GrimBeard beats a hasty retreat, not following Rhavi directly.
Rhavi poises, waiting half a beat to see the horse dealer's reaction…
Avan sniffs. "A fire? There? I was not aware you cooked horses."
LW GM: Shouts of fire are soon resounding throughout the marketplace. You have your (for a given value of 'your') horses, but now the market is teeming with guards. Everyone involved in the grand con, make a straight roll to see if you get away.
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 7 (7)
Levin rolled up 1d10-1: 0 (0)
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 8 (8)
Levin certainly does not.
[OOC] Rhavi: He can't be implicated…
[OOC] Avan: Was Levin involved? He was going to club the guy, but Avan took his branch.
[OOC] LW GM: I prod GB.
[OOC] Avan: It was just Rhavi, GrimBeard, and Avan, no?
[OOC] Rhavi: Until Avan got there yes
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 4 (4)
[OOC] LW GM: Levin wasn't involved. Don't worry. That will be your next check.
[OOC] Levin: I made the mistake of being seen with you guys. ;p
[OOC] LW GM: Levin wasn't involved. Don't worry. That will be your next check.
LW GM: The pony GrimBeard was riding panics, dumping him into the fire. ((-3 End))
LW GM: When GrimBeard manages to put himself out, he is surrounded by guards.
[OOC] Rhavi: When did he get on the pony?
[OOC] Rhavi: If he stayed off at least he has plausible deniability
[OOC] GrimBeard: I was imagining running away on foot.
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License