17 Jun 12

LW GM: The ride to the fort is without incident. You hand the king's orders to the head of the garrison, and he assigns you six men without question. You are now in what you have to assume is enemy territory, or at least on your way to it.
[OOC] Dust: What do these six guys qualify as?
Avan has helped map out a route, that he relays to the six men.
[OOC] Rhavi: Meat shield +1)
[OOC] LW GM: They are going to be treated as a general +2CS to each of you. Though should their numbers fall…
Levin and Dust lead the way, his own eyes alert for signs of the Cenerese and any traps that might be waiting.
Rhavi rides the ill tempered beast that he has dubbed "glue and boots" and watches the trees
Dust pauses, raising one hand to halt the group. "We're being watched."
Rhavi: "For how long?"
GrimBeard brings up the rear, watching for any dangers the forest may offer up.
Avan rides alongside the dwarf, keeping their naval expert in the middle.
LW GM: Without warning, besides Dusts, a nearby bush explodes and a brown-gold strek rushes at Dust. It is a large boar.
[OOC] Dust: Is escaping an option?
Avan looks at Grimbeard. "That's called 'fast food', right?"
[OOC] LW GM: Dust. Do a attack vs CS 17. You don't get to do damage this round, but being aware of the potential attack you'll only take half damage
Dust rolled up Ratio: 2 RNT: 4 Player: -2 Enemy: -8
Rhavi: "Herbalish, is that beast controlled, or simply ill tempered?"
Levin eyes the boar. Does it bear the signs of being influenced by Cenerese magic?
LW GM: The pig squeels and runs off into the underbrush. Dust injured it and manages to turn away it's tusks, mostly, but is still injured.
[OOC] Dust: I injured it?
[OOC] LW GM: Yes. I knocked off five damage but it is injured.
[OOC] LW GM: and yes this contradicts what I said earlier, because I didn't expect Chessa to let him do more than five damage.
Dust spins, one tusk having nicked his chainmail. "Keep moving. I'll deal with this."
Rhavi motions Levin up to the front
Levin: "Right." He heads on.
LW GM: The pig seems to be a normal boar. Illtempered, territorial, and deadly.
Levin: "Merely ill-tempered, so far as I can tell."
Dust trails behind the others, stepping out to intervene should the boar charge again, but slowly backing out of the boar's territory.
LW GM: You hear the pig snort some, but they fade with distance.
Avan rides with Dust, just in case.
Avan: "A pity. I thought we might have a roast tonight."
LW GM: Five minutes pass, then ten, and the boar does not attack again. You seem to be beyond what it considers its territory.
Dust: "That will take time, which we do not have, and risks injury, which we should not take time to heal, and cause disturbances throughout the forest, attracting larger predators."
Avan: "To openly attack a group such as ours…might it have been riled up by those we face?"
LW GM: You also begin to notice that the trees are now strewn with cable thick grey-white strands.
Avan: "Hup. Levin, do you recognize these?"
Avan studies his memory too. Has he seen them before?
Rhavi: "Thrice cursed spiders…"
[OOC] Dust: Spider webs, I presume.
[OOC] Avan: Wouldn't those be just white?
Levin: "Looks like spidersilk to me."
Avan: "…thick spidersilk."
[OOC] LW GM: Well, not specifically these ones as the river is not in sight, but yes you have seen this variety of thing before.
[OOC] Levin: Nothing in nature is pure white, AFAIK.
Avan: "Keep going, or try to map the edge of their territory?"
[OOC] LW GM: Also age tends to grey things.
[OOC] Rhavi: Neither white nor black exist.
Levin: "We need to map a safe route for the armies, in any event."
[OOC] LW GM: Of course they do, they are called 'concepts'. Like Morality or Justice
Dust: "The spiders are only dangerous when they are controlled by the druids."
Avan: "I would question whether this route counts as 'safe'."
Rhavi: "Well, if we are traveling the edge of their territory…how far do these go do you think?"
[OOC] LW GM: brb
Avan: "That's the question." Avan points out, perpendicular to the river. "And that's what mapping their edge would tell us."
Levin: "'Safety' is relative, Avan. It need not be completely safe so long as it is the safest possible."
Rhavi: "Are there still unfriendly eyes on us, Dust?"
[OOC] LW GM: back
Dust: "I don't feel any hostility right now." He looks down the path. "But that is only right now."
LW GM: You have traveled quite a distance in the cobweb strewn forest. You are hungry and must now eat a meal.
Levin consumes his field ration on the go.
Rhavi drinks more water and tightens his belt
GrimBeard consumes the meal he took from the king.
[OOC] LW GM: Don't forget to remove these meals from your character sheets
Dust makes do with what's around him.
Avan noms.
Rhavi copies what Dust does, eating only what the Kai Lord touches. he takes mental notes and a few samples of the edible plant life
Avan: "…is there enough of that to make more rations?"
[OOC] LW GM: That sounds like a skill check to me.
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 5 (5)
[OOC] Avan: From Dust, yes? Avan specifically has not learned that yet; that's the whole reason he was sent out here.
Avan raises one eyebrow and, like Rhavi, takes mental notes. Is this…could this be…?
[OOC] Dust: Hunting lets me autosucceed such checks, if the terrain is appropriate. Rhavi might get a bonus from Dust's knowledge, but that doesn't mean Dust is standing over him saying 'don't eat the toadstools'.
Levin uses his own lore to aid Dust and Avan in finding food.
LW GM: While there are enough food for one person, for a time, there is not sufficient quantites with such large preditors about to feed more than one person, certainly not enough to make more provisions.
LW GM: Levin manges to find more exotic fare. Some tree sap combined with a specific type of soil creates a very nutritious, if not tasty, paste.
Rhavi keeps the small samples in case he see more
Avan is mainly just taking notes, not food. Leave the actual food to the actually hungry, for now.
[OOC] Avan: The meal Levin conjures up can feed Rhavi, yes?
[OOC] LW GM: No. Levin probably /could/ make enough paste, but Rhavi wouldn't like it, and Levin wouldn't risk injuring the trees.
[OOC] LW GM: Seriously, the stuff is foul, but it's one of the sacrifices Levin makes for nature.
[OOC] LW GM: Everyone make a skill check. Dust and Levin get to add their rank. Avan gets to add half his rank.
Dust rolled up 1d10+5: 7 (7)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
[OOC] LW GM: BTW: Mooks don't get skill checks.
[OOC] Dust: That was amusingly low.
Avan rolled up 1d10+2: 6 (6)
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi finds a tree, but can't find the forest.
[OOC] Rhavi: Just you and me, Grim, looking at the clouds.
[OOC] LW GM: That's… ammusing…
Levin rolled up 1d10+5: 7 (7)
[OOC] Avan: How evenly distributed.
[OOC] Dust: Now /that/ is amusing.
[OOC] LW GM: ^
[OOC] Levin: brb, need to switch computers.
[OOC] GrimBeard: Clouds….SO PRETTY!!!!!
LW GM: Levin and Dust find a faint trail. It doesn't look faint because it's disused and overgrown, but rather like it was deliberately concealed.
Dust kneels to examine the trail. "Look here."
[OOC] Levin: back.
Levin: "I see it. Definitely intentional."
Rhavi looks too
Rhavi: "What?"
Avan looks. "Concealed. Hmm. Think it's a trap?"
LW GM: Rhavi sees grasss… and dirt… and dirty grass.
Dust looks down the path, then back where they've come, eyes sighting along the trees. "Hmm. Levin, can you lead them down that?"
GrimBeard squints at the ground, attempting to see what everyone is fussin' about.
Levin: "So long as they're careful, yes."
Avan: "Rhavi, Grimbeard, look here. See how these blades of grass have been bent and unbent, and covered uniformly rather than the natural scatter?"
Rhavi: "Not really, no. I trust your word on it though."
GrimBeard squints some more.
GrimBeard: "Nah really. I trus' ya, though"
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 3 (3)
[OOC] Avan: How aggressively Chessa-like.
[OOC] LW GM: Just so.
Dust motions Levin and the others forward, as he steps off the path and into the underbrush.
Rhavi follows orders
Avan eyes the underbrush and beyond, watching Dust's back.
GrimBeard follows everyone.
Levin follows the path Dust indicates.
Avan goes last, aside from Dust himself.
[OOC] LW GM: Dust. Make an attack vs. CS 20. Henchman bonus does not apply.
Dust rolled up Ratio: -1 RNT: 5 Player: -2 Enemy: -7
[OOC] Avan: Any chance for Avan to attack this threat?
[OOC] LW GM: Nope. Dust faded into the underbrush.
[OOC] Avan: So much for watching his back.
LW GM: There is a sharp pain on Dust's arm and Dust swats at it without thinking. He looks and sees a squashed spider and the pain rapdily turns numb.
LW GM: The numbness soon spreads from the bite and encompasses his entire arm.
[OOC] Avan: He is coming out where we can see him, yes?
[OOC] Dust: Not yet.
[OOC] LW GM: Everyone, including Dust, make a straight roll
Dust rolled up 1d10-1: 9 (9)
Levin rolled up 1d10-1: 8 (8)
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 7 (7)
[OOC] LW GM: Dude, right now you /know/ a Darklord is clipping his toenails.
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 4 (4)
LW GM: A flash of movement, a small click above your heads, or a simple falling leaf draws everyone's eyes (except Avan's) to the branches above your heads. Mounted on the web encrusted branches is a giant spider that is looking at you with sinister intent. Did it's eyes just flash red, or are you merely unnerved by something so alien suddenly so close, and getting closer?
Rhavi freezes, inching his way toward his knives
[OOC] LW GM: Avan gets a -2 CS for the first round. Because Chessa decided his CS was just too stompy.
Rhavi: "Levin…? Is it going to eat us?"
GrimBeard wastes no time preparing his gun to fire at the monstrosity that lays before him/
[OOC] LW GM: Sounds combatty to me. Grimbeard, CS 30
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: -8 RNT: 3 Player: -6 Enemy: -2
[OOC] Dust: Ranged combat, so no damage to grim, x3 to enemy from gun?
[OOC] LW GM: Yes, so Grim -0, Spider -6
Levin retrieves his bow and takes aim with it.
[OOC] Dust: And Avan should go first/next due to… well, Avan?
[OOC] Levin: do I get +4 CS from Cenerese influence?
LW GM: The spider hisses (spiders hiss?) at the wound Grimbeard's lead ball makes.
GrimBeard rapid reloads
[OOC] LW GM: Levin. Yes you do, and remember everyone has their own henchman +2
Avan rolled up Ratio: -11 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -6
[OOC] Dust: Does henchman bonus affect ranged combat?
[OOC] Avan: Hatelaghatelag
[OOC] Avan: BTW: double damage on that from Bite of Fire
Levin rolled up Ratio: -11 RNT: 5 Player: -6 Enemy: -2 (ranged)
[OOC] LW GM: Yes. They have arrows that do no damage, but nicely set the enemy up for your shots.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -11 RNT: 5 Player: -6 Enemy: -2
[OOC] Rhavi: No damage bonuses
[OOC] Dust: Then Grim did -3 end tripled to 9, Avan is -7 doubled to 14; Levin is the same, and I think Rhavi factored it in.
Dust rolled up Ratio: -11 RNT: 6 Player: -5 Enemy: -3 (Dust fires an arrow.)
[OOC] Levin: no, I factored the +2 in already. 11 base CS, +4 for Green Purge, +2 for henchman.
[OOC] Dust: -bit about Avan.
[OOC] Rhavi: I did, yes
[OOC] Avan: Ditto - +2 from henchmen, -2 from penalty
LW GM: The spider, sorely wounded, stumbles and falls from it's branch. However, it has so many legs that it's inevitable that it should land on its feet.
[OOC] Avan: -second it's +its
[OOC] LW GM: Melee. The spider is engaging Grimbeard
GrimBeard switches his grip to prepare for melee.
[OOC] LW GM: Still CS 30…
[OOC] GrimBeard: whoops, sorry, thought i rolled already.
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: -11 RNT: 2 Player: -8 Enemy: 0
[OOC] GrimBeard: Wait, do I get the +2 now that it is melee?
[OOC] LW GM: Henchman bonus? Yes.
[OOC] Levin: the +2 is always available until the GM says otherwise.
[OOC] LW GM: For some reason that has been happening to me too. There have been six descriptions that I thogught I hit enter on that I didn't today.
[OOC] LW GM: I would do that reroll now.
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: -11 RNT: 5 Player: -6 Enemy: -2
Dust rolled up Ratio: -7 RNT: 1 Player: -7 Enemy: 0 (Steps in to flank; +2 flank, +2 shield, +2 henchman.)
LW GM: The spider's fangs find Grimbeard's shoulder and sink deeply injecting molten metal into Grimbeard's veins, or at least it feels like it does.
Avan rolled up Ratio: -5 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -9 (Flanks from the other side, grabbing his handbolt and injecting more fire (double damage again) before pulling it free)
[OOC] LW GM: Aw Chessa. The one true love of every kill-em-all-GM there ever was.
Levin draws his shortsword and flanks the spider as well.
GrimBeard: "Auck! Tha hurt me ya beastie! I am gonna make shur you regret that!"
Levin rolled up Ratio: -9 RNT: 2 Player: -7 Enemy: 0
GrimBeard adjusts his grip or holds the gun one handed if need be.
[OOC] Levin: :I
[OOC] Levin: er.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -8 RNT: 8 Player: -2 Enemy: -7 (flanks and cuts at the spider)
Levin rolled up Ratio: -7 RNT: 2 Player: -6 Enemy: -1 (sorry, forgot the +2 hench bonus.)
Rhavi: dammit))
[OOC] LW GM: Okay, that's kinda freaky.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -8 RNT: 4 Player: -5 Enemy: -3 (same)
[OOC] Rhavi: Swashbucking, no damage
LW GM: The spider whirls and manages to get an attack on every one, but in the end sucumbs to its injuries and lies still.
[OOC] Avan: *its
[OOC] Avan: *injuries
[OOC] LW GM: Everyone except Rhavi takes an additional five damage from poison. Healing might be in order.
Levin gets to work healing the poisons the spiderbites have injected.
[OOC] Avan: Including Avan? Avan took no damage from the spider. Also immune to poison.
Rhavi watches the trees and tends to the wounded as best he can. Mostly by fetching things.
[OOC] LW GM: You're right.
Avan sucks out poison as best he can. Spit it out? Pfah, this is weak compared to what he's been through.
GrimBeard rests, and waves the healers on to the others, telling them to tend to him last.
Dust works on healing those not directly involved with Levin, then sets to dealing with his own wounds until Levin has time.
LW GM: The soldiers help as best they can, but none of them are trained medics, so they join Rhavi on fetching duty.
[OOC] Levin: Any laumspur around, other than that found in my potion?
[OOC] Dust: Not here.
LW GM: Levin can not find any wild Laumspur, however he does have enough herbs to work his normal healing knowledge.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin, make a roll and add your rank.
Levin rolled up 1d10+5: 8 (8)
LW GM: You notice something abnormal about the spider you just slew, beyond merely it's size. There are runes on the spider's thorax, and the runes are Cenar.
Levin: "Definitely Cenerese work."
Rhavi: "What do they say?"
LW GM: The runes are mystic. This means that they do not have a spoken equivalent and are exclusively used in rituals.
Avan: "Just a hunch: they don't."
LW GM: Levin's knowledge of Cenar ritual is vague, however if he had to guess they would be runes of control, or at least directed aggression.
Levin: "Nothing specifically, but these particular ones tend to be used for control or controlled aggression."
Rhavi: "So they are watch dogs. What are the odds that they know we are here now?"
Avan: "Does whoever was controlling it, know their pet has been slain?"
Levin: "That I can't tell you; my knowledge of Cenerese runes is limited, unfortunately."
GrimBeard: "Ah think we should head out then, jus ta be safe."
Avan: "Agreed. Which way: further in, or back out?"
Rhavi: "Yes…but first…" he carefully runs the tips of his throwing blades through the spider's venom.
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi make a roll.
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
Avan: "Careful those don't run to bite you. Levin, I noticed some of your bottles are empty - do you wish to store this venom?"
[OOC] Rhavi: Apparently I was at it's eyes….
Levin bottles some of the venom for later study.
LW GM: Rhavi's blade twists in his hand and he nicks himself. After he had already envenomed it. Of course.
[OOC] LW GM: -5 End
Rhavi sighs and curses
Rhavi: "Little help here?"
Levin: "I would strongly recommend /not/ trying to envenom your weapons."
[OOC] LW GM: Because Chessa hates you all with all her heart.
Dust: "Further in. We lack sufficient information on the deployment of the Cener in this area."
Rhavi nods, cradling his hand
Levin deals with Rhavi's hand once he's bottled a sufficient sample of the venom. Carefully.
[OOC] LW GM: Proceed further?
[OOC] Rhavi: Yes
[OOC] Levin: yes.
[OOC] LW GM: k
[OOC] LW GM: Along the concealed trail?
Avan: "By your lead. LEAD us this time, please: you'll get ambushed alone again if you split off here."
Dust: "That was the point."
Dust proceeds down the trail.
LW GM: The trail meanders for about ten miles, but always heads deeper into the spider's forest. Up ahead you start to hear chanting.
Avan: "Too bad we can't burn the silk without burning the trees. Unless this forest is lost anyway."
Rhavi walks as softly as possible
Avan whispers.
Rhavi: "The thought had occurred to me, " he whispers back. "
[OOC] Avan: -"
Levin makes some gestures in a hunting language. "Didn't notice animal death. Silently as possible, advance slowly."
[OOC] LW GM: Who all is continuing along the path?
Dust closes his eyes, tracing the path they've taken, and intuiting where they are now, pausing to jot notes on his map.
Avan follows Levin along the path.
Levin attempts to circumscribe the camp so as to ascertain its outlines.
Rhavi follows slowly, carefully studying each section before moving over it, finding the best place to put his boot (Goldeneye)
[OOC] Rhavi: If applicable in this situation since it is not a merchant
GrimBeard takes up the rear, keeping his gun at the ready in case of ambush.
Dust drops his weight low, each step placed as carefully as a cat's to glide silently over the forest floor.
LW GM: Up ahead you see a large clearing in which is a circle of standing stones and an altar in the center. The dark coppery stains on the altar imply that it is a sacrificial one. Around the altar chanting are at least twenty druids in ceremonial robes and animal skull masks. Night has fallen and the druids are holding torches that at once puts them in light, and much of the rest of the clearing in shadow. But there's something in the shadow. Something big. Something with far more than eight legs. And whatever the something is, it is chanting along with the druids in a deep melodious barritone.
[OOC] Levin: perfect place to logend, IMO.
Dust jots the final note on his map. Time to leave.
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License