17 Oct 12

LW GM: Erupting from the surrounding earth is several gigantic worms with mandibles. The search party quickly finds itself surrounded with no real change of evasion. Meanwhile Rhavi and GrimBeard are helping with some minor repairs of the skyship. And while Rhavi is enthusiastically taking this opportunity to learn how skyships work, GrimBeard, is bored out of his Bor mind. Until he sees a
LW GM: limping figure emerge from the forest…
[OOC] LW GM: The worm things have CS 15
[OOC] Dust: How many?
Levin unsheathes his shortsword and eyes the worms. Evil or Cenerese?
[OOC] LW GM: Many manys, but they're lumped into three groups. Convenient, no?
[OOC] Dust: Stated CS is for a group?
LW GM: Levin can not sense any inherent evil. Malice yes, but not evil. By the same token they do not be seem to be of Cener make.
Avan tsks. Sheathing. Such quaint weapon needs.
[OOC] LW GM: Dust, yes.
Avan: "Do we fight or flee?"
Levin: "Malign, but neither true evil nor Cenerese influence pervades the air."
Dust turns, eyes narrowed. "Flight seems not an option." His sword rests loosely in his hand, shield on his left arm.
LW GM: As if cued by Dust's words, the worms tighten their circle around the search party.
GrimBeard: "Oy, we got someone comin up on us!"
Avan: "Alright then."
LW GM: One of the crew looks up and squints in the direction GrimBeard indicates. After a moment he nods and goes off to inform Captain Sornath.
GrimBeard tries to get a better look at the figure.
Avan , without tensing or warning, flicks his handbolt to his left, aiming to skewer a bunch of worms that happen to line up at the right moment - or will, when the handbolt reaches them.
Avan rolled up Ratio: 4 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -16 (The usual combo, including double damage.)
Rhavi looks to where Grim indicates
LW GM: Avan's attack kills a number of the worms and causes many nearby others to flee back into the earth. ((One group down.))
Dust rolled up Ratio: 4 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: -14 (Darting in an out of the worm's reach, hemming them back and forth with his blade, taking cuts as they present themselves.)
Levin does his own intricate danceā€¦
Levin rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 2 Player: -5 Enemy: -3
It's not very effective, though.
LW GM: Squinting Rhavi can just make out the figure in the distance. It is one of the missing crew, he is almost certain. The figure is filthy and wearing what was once clean cloths but now barely qualifies as rags. On his head is a stone circlets. The figure gestures at the ship and other figures emerge. Rhavi is pretty sure they weren't members of the crew.
Rhavi: "What is that on his head?"
LW GM: Levin's dance severs two of the worms, but leaves him open to several attacks.
[OOC] LW GM: Dust didn't attack, so he really should do so now.
[OOC] Avan: Yes he did.
[OOC] Dust: ?
[OOC] LW GM: Ah, nvr mind, I see it now.
Rhavi: "Captain! I think that you need to get this bird above the tree line immediately."
[OOC] Dust: Dealt 14, received none.
Avan rounds upon Levin's worms, flaying the flesh from their…well, he'll just have to see if they have bones, won't he?
Avan rolled up Ratio: 4 RNT: 0 Player: -4 Enemy: -5
LW GM: Dust's maneuvering manages to set up several worms for a telling blow, severing many into two parts, all without any openings in his guard at all.
[OOC] Avan: Bite of Fire for double damage, of course
Rhavi studies the actions of the figures. Are they threatening, injured, fearful?
Dust rolled up Ratio: 4 RNT: 1 Player: -3 Enemy: -6 (As the press of the worms lessens, the risks he takes are greater, shield turning aside the near strikes.)
[OOC] Avan: Shouldn't that be ratio 6?
[OOC] Avan: If you're attacking the worms I just attacked - the only ones left…
[OOC] Levin: 19 - 15 = 4, dood.
LW GM: While not nearly as perfect a strike as his last, Avan still manages to end several worms.
[OOC] Avan: Yes, but he should have 21
[OOC] Levin: Isn't his base 17, +2 CS with shield?
[OOC] Avan: +2 more CS for striking the target I just hit earlier in that round.
[OOC] Levin: Ah. Yes.
Dust rolled up Ratio: 6 RNT: 1 Player: -3 Enemy: -7
[OOC] LW GM: Added extra damage)
[OOC] Levin: Only one damage difference, but maybe it'll count.
[OOC] LW GM: +)
LW GM: Dust's prior maneuvering unfortunately put his back against a huge tree, halting his foot work and allowing multiple bites on him.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin, have you attacked?
[OOC] Avan: He has not yet in this round.
[OOC] LW GM: Might want to look into that.
Levin continues his dance, though by now it's more like controlled staggering.
Levin rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 5 Player: -3 Enemy: -6
[OOC] Avan: Err
Levin rolled up Ratio: 0 RNT: 5 Player: -2 Enemy: -8 (oops.)
19 rolled up Ratio: 10 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: K (+4, not -4)
[OOC] Levin: no, Green Purge doesn't apply because they're neither evil nor Cenerese.
[OOC] Avan: So -8 to the enemy. They still up?
LW GM: Sornath appears on the deck in response to Rhavi's alarm. At his unspoken gesture, the crew abandons their repairs and take up arms to defend the ship from potential attack. Potential soon becomes actual as the figures close in on The Dauntless brandishing swords.
Rhavi: "Master Grim, shoot the stone circlet off of that man's head please."
[OOC] LW GM: Both remaining groups are still up.
[OOC] Avan: Didn't Dust kill his group?
[OOC] LW GM: No. Down, but not out.
[OOC] Dust: Wasn't actually stated, so I'm presuming not.
GrimBeard prepares to shoot at the attackers.
[OOC] LW GM: Unless that K result I see floating about was actual and not an input error.
[OOC] Avan: It was error.
Avan keeps trying to rescue Levin.
[OOC] LW GM: GB, take a shot when ready.
Rhavi: "Captain, I suggest that we rise above the attackers"
Avan rolled up Ratio: 4 RNT: 2 Player: -3 Enemy: -7 (With fire for double damage, still.)
[OOC] Rhavi: What is their CS?
[OOC] LW GM: Sorry, forgot to say. CS 20
[OOC] Rhavi: eep.
[OOC] LW GM: Big group = Big CS
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 2 RNT: 0 Player: -5 Enemy: -4
LW GM: The smell of burning worm-thing is… unpleasant. Though it can be truly be said that Avan knows how to eat fried worms. ((Dust/Avan's group disperses.))
[OOC] LW GM: What matters is that the final blow is (potentially) Levin's
Dust rolled up Ratio: 6 RNT: 4 Player: -2 Enemy: -10 (Catching the remaining group from the side makes the matter so much easier.)
[OOC] LW GM: Concatenate those lines
Levin 's blade slices through any remaining worms.
Levin rolled up Ratio: 0 RNT: 6 Player: -1 Enemy: -9
LW GM: The final group worms ((ha ha)) their way back underground.
Avan retrieves his handbolt. "Do we make meal of the corpses or press on?"
LW GM: GrimBeard's rifle rings out, striking home and felling two of the figures, but he spent too much time lineing up his shot and fails to notice a thrown sword until it is too late.
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi
Dust: "Press on; if there are threats such as these, then the man we search for may already be in danger."
Levin: "What he said." He wipes his blade clean on an unstained stand of grass.
[OOC] Rhavi: are we at ranged still?
[OOC] Rhavi:
Avan: "As you say." Flick, rewind, and he is fully rearmed before stepping out of the ring of dead worms.
[OOC] LW GM: Yes. next round will be melee though.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 0 Player: -6 Enemy: -1 ((sends a throwing knife into the one that heaved the sword at Grim))
Dust pauses to glance at the now churned up ground, searching for the old trail.
[OOC] Rhavi: Thanks Chessa
[OOC] Rhavi: Did any of the others hear the extra loud BOOM?
[OOC] LW GM: Not over the digging and fighting, no.
LW GM: Rhavi's knife find the throat of his target, but as he leans over the railing he is cut by one of the figures clambering on board.
[OOC] LW GM: GB, Melee
GrimBeard attempts to strike an intruder with the butt of his gun.
[OOC] LW GM: roll it.
[OOC] LW GM: Narrative only goes so far in this game.
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 2 RNT: 6 Player: -1 Enemy: -10
LW GM: A loud crack rings out as GrimBeard introduces the boarder to the other business end of his rifle, sending him flying through the air and dislodging several others, though a superficial hit still lands on GrimBeard.
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 6 Player: -2 Enemy: -7 (In a flash eh rips his dagger across his attacker's eyes, avoiding his counter stroke with contemptuous ease.)
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 1 Player: -5 Enemy: -2 (He cuts another boarder with his scimitar, twisting to the side to dodge the counterattack. he finishes by booting the boarder down the gang plank toward the throng below.)
LW GM: The boarder screams and clutches his face as he tumbles from The Dauntless. Similar shouts and screams from other parts of the ship indicate that Sornath's crew is driving off their opponents. In fact Rhavi is knocked down and slightly trampled by the enemy as they flee the ship.
Rhavi rolls to the side and regains his feet as close to Grim Beard as possible
LW GM: The first figure GrimBeard has sighted is still next to the treeline. He watched the fight impassively, doing nothing to aid either side, but as the attackers were driven off he screams in a language that neither Rhavi or Grimbeard understand before the circlet around his head erupts into blindingly bright flame. When Rhavi and GrimBeard's vision returns, the figure is gone.
Dust: Dust pauses to glance at the now churned up ground, searching for the old trail.
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License