18 Jul 12

LW GM: ***LOG START***
LW GM: As you head deeper into the forest, it is as if your sense of smell heightens. You notice the smell of the place more and more. The sent of the fresly watered earth, the aroma of the flowering bushes and trees, the sweet smell of clover as you crush it underfoot. An hour passes and you begin to notice other fainter aromas that grow stronger as you continue. The smell of fresh baked
LW GM: bread, the tang of onions and other vegetables in a beef stew, the creamy oder of fresh butter. As your stomach rumbles, you realize how meager your portable provisions and rations truly are compared to even a simple country meal. This strikes Rhavi particularly hard as he has spent so long living on ship's biskets.
Avan: "…bread?" Sniff, sniff. "Stew? There's civilization around…" Avan looks to Dust. "…or a trap."
Rhavi: "Is there a festival in the wood or something? That smells amazing…"
LW GM: The smells seem strongest along the path of the tracks.
Avan: "Careful, Rhavi. If it's a trap, the only stew will be you."
Levin is already suspicious, given the villages prior to this forest. Would this happen to reek of magic to him?
GrimBeard: "Ah could use a bit a food, meself."
Rhavi: "Do you see me running headlong to the smell of stew? It's just a nice idea after months of hard tack and the occasional cheese and orange."
Rhavi looks around the woods along the path
LW GM: Levin is not aware of any sorcery, druidic or darklord, that bakes bread.
GrimBeard: "Smells rite good tho', doen it?"
Rhavi nods to Grimbeard
Avan: "So. If it's a trap, do we spring it?"
Avan at least tries to locate where the smell is coming from.
Rhavi looks to the more woodsy folk for guidance.
Rhavi: "Why would we want to spring it?"
GrimBeard prays the food is not a lie.
Avan: "To steal their food. *If* it is not poisoned. Not a problem for me, but…" He gestures to the party.
LW GM: The tracks lead to a small clearing. In the clearing is a small traveling camp, looks gypsy. Well, it would be temporary except for the very permanent stone oven in the middle.
Dust pauses, a frown clouding his features. "There is… something, but I cannot narrow it down. Danger, of a sort…"
[OOC] Rhavi: now I want cake. Thanks.
[OOC] LW GM: np.
LW GM: A small croud of people are gathered near the stove. Looks like you are interupting supper. A few turn and see you and smile. "Welcome. Enough for everybody."
Rhavi pauses, suspicion flaring
GrimBeard cocks an eyebrow at this strange sight.
Dust: "Thank you, but we cannot tarry that long."
LW GM: The speaker notices Rhavi's pause. "I understand, this must seem unusual. You wait there and we'll bring you some. All right?"
Rhavi: "Ah. No thank you. "
Avan: "Do you know what happened to the villagers nearby?"
LW GM: The speaker looks surprised and disappointed. "Are you sure? Doesn't it smell heavenly?" And it does smell heavenly
Rhavi: "It does, and I am very, very sure."
Dust frowns. "Avan, Rhavi. Describe what you are seeing."
LW GM: "The nearby village? Why what has happened to it?"
Rhavi: "A crowd of people encamped around a permanent stove oven. It looks old. They're eating."
[OOC] LW GM: Everyone make a roll. Dust, and only Dust, add half your rank.
Avan: "And offering us food, and being ignorant about the villagers."
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 0 (0)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
[OOC] Rhavi: You and me Avan…chessa's love is strong
[OOC] Avan: Yep
[OOC] LW GM: Dust had to AFK momentarily, but he should roll soon.
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 0 (0)
Dust rolled up Error: 1:3:undefined variable 'd10'
Levin rolled up 1d10-1: 2 (2)
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 12 (12)
[OOC] Avan: This be Dust's scene. So sayeth Chessa.
[OOC] Dust: Ah. Huh. Ok.
Dust: "Then this is indeed an illusion. Fall back, draw arms. We are being surrounded." Dust sets action to word, drawing his blade as he steps back.
Avan does as Dust says.
[OOC] GrimBeard: The Great and Powerful Chessa has SPOKEN!
Rhavi follows Dust's lead, drawing both scimitar and dagger
GrimBeard readies his gun for action.
LW GM: The old woman at the stove hisses as the illusion falls away. The stewpot she was holding is revealed to be a glowing orb and the others in the clearing vanish. But are soon replaced by loud yelling soldiers rushing at you from the clearing's edge.
LW GM: The old womand starts shrinking back, trying to get out of the clearing.
Rhavi: "Master Grimbeard. Shoot her kneecaps out.:"
Avan: "…more illusion?"
Dust: "Woman, I know not the purpose of this subterfuge, but if you stand your men down, this can yet end in peace. Our prey is something far greater than you." He nods Grimbeard and Avan in her direction. "Or we can end this more directly."
Levin loosens his sword in its scabard and gets his bow out.
Dust: "No. The soldiers are quite real."
LW GM: The woman has a look of surprise on her face, then pauses as she apparently considers Dust's words, then shakes her head, as if to say that you can not possibly have a gerater foe than her.
GrimBeard takes aim to do exactly as Rhavi has instructed.
Dust: "As you like. End her, sirs. Levin, Rhavi, cover them."
Rhavi grins fiercely
Rhavi: "Gladly."
[OOC] LW GM: The Soldiers have a CS of 17 and the woman has a CS 15
GrimBeard: "Aye, laddie."
LW GM: The soldiers move to attack.
[OOC] LW GM: Ranged Round.
Avan starts off trying to end the woman quickly!
Avan rolled up Ratio: 4 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -16 (Bite of Fire for *2 damage)
[OOC] Dust: Foregoing ranged this time.
Levin goes for one of the soldiers.
[OOC] Avan: …32 damage. Did she survive?
[OOC] Dust: With our luck, she has advanced swashbuckling and that healed her.
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 7 RNT: 0 Player: -4 Enemy: -7
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -1 RNT: 4 Player: -3 Enemy: -6 (/me spins a knife from his bandolier and flicks it at one of the nearest soldier, trying to drop him and slow some of the others.)
LW GM: The woman screams, then falls silent. The soldiers pause and clutch their heads for a moment, before grimly pursuing the attack.
Levin rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: -8 (ranged, no damage to self.)
[OOC] LW GM: The Soldiers now have a CS 15
Levin rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: -9 (fixin'.)
GrimBeard is attempting to blast the old woman into submission.
[OOC] Rhavi: I think she's dead, might want to kill a soldier instead
[OOC] LW GM: If she is not dead, be afraid because a Darklord would have had problems shrugging off that attack.
[OOC] Levin: I did, but the soldiers just lost 2 CS. Pay attention.
[OOC] Dust: Speaking of which…)) Dust addresses the soldiers: "You are outnumbered by superior foes. Stand down, and we will spare you."
Dust moves to engage the first two soldiers.
[OOC] Dust: Roll now? Or are they surrendering like good soldiers?
LW GM: The're not quite surrendering, but they are bolting.
[OOC] Avan: As in, running away?
[OOC] Rhavi: back to ranged?
[OOC] Dust: They are running?
[OOC] Levin: Yes.
[OOC] LW GM: They are running.
[OOC] Levin: That's generally what 'bolting' means.
[OOC] Avan: Just making sure…
Avan: "…does that count?"
Rhavi: "I'll take what I can get."
Rhavi readies a knife to try to cripple one
[OOC] Rhavi: Sorry
Avan raises an arm. "Let them go."
Rhavi: "Why?"
Avan: "We've no quarrel with them, if they only attacked because of her illusions."
Dust: "Because they are a distraction. We have a greater purpose, one that is time sensitive."
Avan: "That too."
Avan moves up to the woman to retrieve his handbolt.
Dust does pause long enough to examine the woman's sphere, though he does not touch it.
Rhavi he looks after the fleeing men…then sheaths his knife in disgust
[OOC] GrimBeard: It's a trick. Get an axe.
[OOC] Dust: Why? We have you.
GrimBeard starts to take aim at one of them, but follows Rhavi's lead.
LW GM: Dust recognizes the sphere as a Kazim Stone.
Rhavi: "What is that thing?" He points his weapon toward the magic orb glowing on he ground. "And we still haven't found the villagers."
Dust exhales a short breath through his teeth. "Kazim stone. One of seven. This woman…" He shakes his head. "It is good that she is dead."
Avan makes sure she is dead, then.
Avan: "So what's a Kazim stone?"
LW GM: Dust is not so certain that the Kazim stone /is/ one of the seven. This looks newer than they should be.
Levin: "And what would such a thing be doing here?"
Dust slashes off a length of fabric from the dead guard in which he wraps the stone, storing it in his backpack. "Crafted from the heart of an earth elemental, they enhance the psychic powers of a Shadakine Wytch, as well as give them some sway over demons. She is quite far north from her native land, I suspect."
Dust: "This one seems… unusual. Too new to be one of the seven." He sighs. "It doesn't matter. Another threat averted, barely, but I dislike a demon invoker this close to the monastery, while we are already seeking to slay one demon."
GrimBeard: "So….naut a good sign then?"
Avan: "Can we offload that with the Brotherhood, when we reach them?"
Rhavi: "Or can we sell it?"
Levin: "If it has the properties he says it does, we cannot."
Levin: "Sell it, that is."
Rhavi shrugs
Rhavi: "Time to get on the road then."
Dust nods towards Avan. "I was thinking about placing it in the monastery, but that is a detour we can ill-afford. The Brothers are a good choice."
GrimBeard: "Souns like it should be locked up ta me!"
[OOC] LW GM: Not going to search the campsite?
Dust heads back to the horses.
Levin moves to search the camp for anything else worth noting.
Rhavi pokes around the solder's camp
LW GM: Levin finds several sections of recently disturbed earth. He has a feeling that if he investigates further, he will find the missing villagers.
Rhavi: "Deserters deserve to loose their share of the spoils."
Avan sees Levin searching, and checks as well.
Levin continues investigating, then, with a rather grim look on his face. "I believe I may have found the missing villagers."
Avan investigates further on Levin's behalf, even.
Rhavi looks at Levin from where he is turning a bed roll
LW GM: Levin scrapes away a small patch of soil, and reveals a hand.
Levin: "Yep. Question now is, do we divert to give them proper burials?"
GrimBeard: "Ah'll keep watch, give ya tha time ya need ta do it proper."
[OOC] LW GM: Dwarves hate digging.
Rhavi: "Can we afford the time?"
Levin nods to Rhavi. "Hence my question."
Dust: "Leave them, for now. If we live to recover the weapons and slay the demon… then we will return to set them to rest."
Rhavi: "I don't mean to sound insensitive, but they are already mostly buried, and nature will take its course no matter what we do unless we burn them."
Levin nods, but takes the time to at least erect a cairn over the hand he uncovered.
LW GM: The good news, such as it is, is that you're not more than a mile or two out of your way.
Levin mounts up afterward.
Dust mounts up, and sets out to make up for lost time.
Avan does likewise.
GrimBeard follows suit.
Rhavi follows
LW GM: It may just be residue from your psychic encounter, but you are hungry and must now eat a meal.
[OOC] LW GM: Even Dust.
Rhavi chows down while in the saddle
[OOC] Dust: I can't hunt?
[OOC] LW GM: You can, but you're hungry.
[OOC] Dust: Oh hey look, a passel of meals in the ol backpack, just in case. How foresighted am I.
Avan noms!
Levin assembles a meal from greenery he passes by without dismounting. His rations are reserved, henceforth, for regions where he can't do this.
Avan carefully watches Levin. There are tricks to this…
Rhavi studies Levin's choice of foods
Levin takes his time, noting the scrutiny, but it's unlikely that Avan and Rhavi can pick any tips up from his pickings.
LW GM: Nourished and revived you make good time. However, the sun is starting to set. A campsite might be handy.
[OOC] Dust: Roll to find campsite?
[OOC] LW GM: yep. half your rank if you can hunt
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 4 (4)
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 7 (7)
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 5 (5)
Levin rolled up 1d10+2: 11 (11)
[OOC] Rhavi: Imagine that…the druid found us a camp site
[OOC] LW GM: Chessa is so wacky.
LW GM: Levin finds a small glade near a stream. Very picturesque.
Levin: "Here we go." He dismounts and gets started on making camp.
[OOC] Levin: :presses A.
Avan plays follow the leader.
Rhavi starts collecting firewood
Dust sweeps the site for danger, then refills the water supplies.
LW GM: The site seems to be danger free.
[OOC] Dust: Of course it is, Levin rolled high… but egads, we've got demons and wytches and Naar, oh my, coming from every corner. Never hurts to be careful.
Rhavi: "Who wants what watch?"
Avan: "I'll watch with Levin this time."
GrimBeard: "Ah'll take wutever."
Rhavi: "I'll take second then"
Levin: "Last watch, as usual."
Avan: "Okay then."
Dust: "I'll have first watch, and Grim with Rhavi, then."
Rhavi: "That's right. You lot get to sleep snore free. Enjoy it lads!"
LW GM: And now that everybody's /almost/ ready for bed, everyone make a roll (no bonuses).
Dust rolled up 1d10-1: 9 (9)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 4 (4)
Levin rolled up 1d10-1: 4 (4)
[OOC] LW GM: All right Dust, what favors are you doing for Chessa?
[OOC] Levin: Hopefully they're nonsexual. :p
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 6 (6)
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 2 (2)
[OOC] Dust: Kinsoku jikĊ.
LW GM: Dust sees something skitter up a tree. Not very large, not much larger than the first joint of one of his fingers, but definitely a spider. But he's sure that's not important at all.
Dust narrows his eyes, and stay extra vigilant for the first leg of the watch.
LW GM: Dust jolts awake.
Rhavi stirs restlessly
Rhavi: "What is it, Dust?"
Dust closes his eyes, letting his senses spread out over the campsite. "Probably just the wind."
Rhavi rolls back over
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License