2 Jan 13

[OOC] LW GM: When we last left our hero… when we last left the group, GrimBeard had managed to get himself dumped in the fire and is currently surrounded by Hammerdal's finest, beard still smoldering. Avan and Rhavi have made a clean get away… for now. Levin is very certain that he doesn't know those people and Dust is wandering around Hammerdal chanting 'I see notsink. I hear notsink.'
LW GM: The fire is still burning in the marketplace, but it seems to be under control for now. GrimBeard rolls to his feet to find him surrounded by the Hammerdal guards, ready to make him an exdwarf should he make even the smallest move to draw his musket. The Nora is unhurt. Avan and Rhavi are not being pursued, as near as they can tell. Levin is clearly an innocent bystander, but is being detained as a potential witness. And Dust… who knows where Dust is?
Avan circles around, staying outside of spot-and-chase range but looking on for opportunities to grab the rest of the party.
Levin goes along quietly, for now.
LW GM: Both GrimBeard and Levin are escorted to the local watch-house in the center of the Market district. Most of the officers are busy dealing with that mysterious fire and there's only a couple of guards watching the two of you.
[OOC] LW GM: Avan and Rhavi, make rolls to see if you notice your lack of a third horsman… horsedwarf
[OOC] Rhavi: straight up?
[OOC] Avan: Straight rolls, +1/2 rank, or +rank?
Levin attempts to sweet-talk himself and the dwarf out of custody…
[OOC] LW GM: Straight.
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 4 (4)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 8 (8)
LW GM: Rhavi notices that GrimBeard is not with the two of you ((and should probably communicate this fact to Avan)).
Rhavi looks back and then around for Grim. He curses fluently.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin, go ahead and make a half rank roll because of the herbwarden good name.
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 9 (9)
Avan: "Do you see our Kai Lord friend about?"
Rhavi: "Okay, Avan, we need to get these horses to Kanden and then go back to find our missing dwarf. Presuming that he doesn't kill and maim his way out by the time that we get there."
Avan: "…wasn't Kanden staying behind?"
Rhavi: "Not since we left him earlier."
Rhavi starts to make his round about way to Kanden, using the pre-scouted escape route
Avan follows.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin, what exactly are you trying to do (now that we know you probably pulled it off)?
LW GM: Rhavi and Avan arrive at the Brotherhood building. Kanden is not there.
Rhavi looks out back for Kanden's horse
Rhavi: "Avan, check to see if Dust is around please."
LW GM: Rhavi finds Kanden's horse out back. It is sleeping next to a half eaten bale of hay. ((Make a half-rank check.))
[OOC] Levin: Provide an alternate culprit and a sufficient statement so as to give the watchmen no reason to continue holding us.
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+4: 11 (11)
Avan scouts around for the agent of Kai.
LW GM: Rhavi notices an unusual scent from the half-eaten hay bale. It seems to have been doctored with some sort of elixir.
Rhavi: "Oh to be an herbalish…Avan!"
Avan: "Hmm?"
Rhavi looks around, keeping the horses well away from the tainted hay
Avan knows that behavior. "You suspect poison?"
Avan dismounts and steps up to the hay.
Rhavi: "It smells funny, something sharp and pungent."
LW GM: Levin manages to convince the guards that GrimBeard was innocent and with him the entire time, for the time being. Best not to stick around when the guards manage to work through Levin' sweettalk.
Avan analyzes the poison, seeing if he knows it or at least its function & possible sources.
LW GM: Now that Rhavi has pointed it out, there is definitely something not-hay in the bale. It is not a poison, just an elixir to 'aid' sleep.
Levin bails at a purposeful, "we know what we're doing" pace on toward a possible rendezvous with the horsed group.
Avan looks for signs of who might have done it.
LW GM: Without horses, it's a fair hike back to The Brotherhood's Hammerdal branch. Levin ((and I'm going to fiat GB being there as well since he's dealing with a kid who fell)) sees Rhavi and Avan very interested in Kanden's horsechow.
Rhavi nods approval at Levin and GrimBeard getting away
Rhavi: "Did you have to kill anyone, Master Grim?"
Rhavi: "And Levin, you should look at this hay."
LW GM: Avan can find no sign of the culprit and the door to The Brotherhood building is locked. There is however a window that is ajar.
Avan opens the window and hops in.
[OOC] LW GM: Avan, make a half-rank roll
Avan rolled up 1d10+3: 6 (6)
Levin inspects the hay. "No, but I don't want to be in Hammerdal when the watchmushrooms finish the bullshit I fed 'em to get him—and me—out."
Levin rolled up 1d10+7: 17 (17) (Full-rank, I guess? If not, subtract 4.)
Rhavi: "Well done regardless. This tainted bale has me nervous though."
[OOC] Avan: Umm, yeah.
LW GM: Avan slides the pane up, and just barely manages to stop it in time before the panel trips a catch that would have no doubt done something nasty. It is still wide enough for the party to get through.
Avan hops in and looks around, for further traps and evidence of mischief. If the window had intentionally been left like that…
LW GM: Levin easily identifies the potion as a sleepgrass extract, which has all the properties Avan attributed to it. It's not a cheap mixture to make though. And almost none of the ingredients are local.
Levin: "Sleepgrass extract. Not cheap, and not local."
GrimBeard: "Nah boss. Levin helped me ou'"
Rhavi: "How long will it last, Levin? Avan, what is up in there?"
Avan: "A trapped window."
LW GM: Perhaps most telling is that it is a *mechanical* trap, not a magical one.
Dust steps from the shadow of an alleyway, moving towards the drugged hay. "Perhaps too late then. Kanden is missing?" ((To Levin))
Rhavi: "Any sign of Kanden, or did our mysterious archer get here first?"
Rhavi nods to Dust "Looks that way unless he is hiding inside."
Levin: "We didn't encounter him on our way here…"
Dust glances at the morass of tracks near the stack. ((Anything Dust can make out from the archer or Kanden?))
LW GM: A window on the second floor explodes in a gout of flame.
Levin: "…Wonderful."
Dust glances upwards. "Ah."
Rhavi shies back
Avan: "I heard an explosion."
[OOC] LW GM: Dust has reason to believe the archer is here.
Avan: "Do you see something?"
Avan looks for stairs, since that came from above.
Rhavi: "Avan! You okay?"
Levin gets his first aid kit ready and heads up.
LW GM: Avan finds the stars easily enough and, if you ignore the thrown rug, they are untraped as far as he can tell.
Avan: "I'm fine. This way!" Avan heads up.
Dust moves towards the building, glancing over his shoulder. "The good news is that our archer-friend is working alone. The bad news is that he got here before I did."
Rhavi: "Do you know who it is?"
[OOC] LW GM: Does the rest of the party make their way through the window?
[OOC] Dust: After examining it for more death, yes.
Rhavi: "GrimBeard, cover the exits in back. Levin, watch the front. Sing out if our archer shows."
[OOC] LW GM: No one finds any additional death on the windowsill.
Dust: ->Rhavi: "We were not formally introduced."
Rhavi slithers through the window
GrimBeard nods
Dust slides through the window.
Levin: "…My job is treating wounds, sir."
Rhavi: "Which is why you are out there!"
Rhavi heads up the stairs
Levin: "And if the wounded's inside…?"
Rhavi: "Then come in!"
Levin: "More importantly, please remember I perjured myself to the watchshrooms. So if they see me, my goose is likely cooked."
LW GM: The group makes it's way upstairs where it is very quiet. There is no sign of the intruder, but Kanden is dead, stabbed through the chest.
Levin puts his kit back in his bag. "No reason to tarry here, then. Let's move. Now."
Rhavi looks around the room
LW GM: There are footprints in the soot on the second-floor window that exploded earlier.
Avan: "And convey word of his demise to his brothers. Do we carry the body back for burial or nay?"
Rhavi: "That depends…why did the archer come for him and not tail us?"
Dust nods. "This fits the pattern. We have to move quickly. Captain, do you know where your ship is?"
Rhavi: "Two days ride from Hammerdal if everything has gone according to plan."
Dust: "I anticipate the Albatross is the next target."
Levin: "'According to plan' is not something I wish to rely on."
Rhavi: "Why not us directly?"
Levin: "We're too dangerous a target."
Rhavi headed back down the stairs at a dead run
[OOC] LW GM: If you recall, he did target you directly once, assuming it's the same person/group.
Dust nods at Levin. "Exactly. Indeed, the assassin tried attacking us already. Now, he is severing us from our support network."
Rhavi pauses just long enough to raid Kanden's cupboards. Levin can check the food later.
Avan checks the footprints. Do they lead somewhere?
[OOC] LW GM: Herpaderpa, I need to generate a loot list. Just a 'mo.
LW GM: The footprints on the sill are what a person would leave if they jumped from the sill (while the sill was covered in soot)).
Avan looks outside. A jump here would have had to land there…can he see where the assassin might now be?
LW GM: Kanden obviously was not living large on his Brotherhood stipend. The items of value are a knife, 10 crowns, and enough dried meat and other foods for six meals. For a brotherhood mage, there is surprisingly little in the way of magical paraphernalia.
Avan: "…why an explosion, if the death was by stabbing?"
Rhavi grabs everything, shoving it into a sack for later sorting
LW GM: The assassin is long gone. He must have leaped while the group was climbing through the window.
[OOC] Rhavi: That's right…I am the food baron
Levin: "Distraction?"
Dust: "To cause us to look one way… as they slipped another."
Rhavi: "The flaming explosion was probably it. Not magical though, so the assassin probably has boom powder"
Dust: "Or perhaps a spell from Kanden. We have not the time to wonder over details. The assassin is on the move, and it is unlikely this is where it will choose to stop its game."
[OOC] LW GM: magical paraphernalia means an alchemy workbench and the like.
Rhavi sweeps everything from the work bench into a separate sack and then climbs back out the window
[OOC] LW GM: there is no workbench
[OOC] LW GM: well… there is no workbench now as it is strapped to Rhavi's back…
[OOC] Rhavi: retcon last line except for the window part
[OOC] Levin: :V
Avan hops out along what he assumes is the path the assassin took. Assuming the assassin is not soon in sight, he circles back to the horses.
LW GM: Avan can not find the assassin and soon makes his way back to the (former) Brotherhood building.
Levin returns to the horses himself, and inspects the horses.
Rhavi: "Let us ride, gentlemen."
Avan mounts up and does just that.
Levin mounts up himself, once he's assured of the horses' continued health.
LW GM: Levin's fast talking even allowed GrimBeard to keep his Nora. You mount up and head out.
Rhavi leaps up and heads out
GrimBeard follows Rhavi's lead.
[OOC] LW GM: Dust mounts up as well, he came in to talk to me IRL
LW GM: You are soon heading out of Hammerdal, riding hard towards The Albatross. However, the ship is still quite far away and you do not make it there before night fall. You can ride on through the night or stop for camp (and be a bit closer to your destination as your destination comes to you).
Rhavi orients briefly on the distant hills and then head sou tin a course that directly intersects with the Albatross (Navigation)
LW GM: Rhavi plots a course through the Hammerdal mountains and to the Albatross (no roll needed).
Avan: "We sleep on the ship?"
Rhavi: "We get there first. I will leave it to those better suited to find us a place to camp or rest, but my ship lies this way."
Rhavi: "Two days and we can be there. Levin, how much can these animals safely take?"
Avan examines the rest of the party. Do they look like they're up for riding through the night?
Dust watches for signs of the assassin's passage or for traps placed to stall our way.
[OOC] LW GM: GrimBeard is still a little… well-done from his prior attempt to ride, but other than that everyone seems able to make the ride, but might well be tired if they encounter… surprises… on the way.
Levin rolled up 1d10+7: 12 (12) (animal health; -4 if half-rank required.)
[OOC] LW GM: The animals were 'purchased' with health and speed in mind. They are fully capable of riding into the night. It will also give you a chance to test their night-vision.
Levin: "They're fully capable of riding through the night, but I'd warn against that in case we get ambushed."
[OOC] Dust: Make sure you write the seller a good review.
[OOC] Avan: Four stars, would fireroll again?
Rhavi: "You and Dust are the experts."
Dust rolled up 1d10+3: 9 (9) ((Making a roll, looking for signs, maybe Chessa doesn't hate me…))
[OOC] LW GM: Looks like not-hate to me.
LW GM: Dust notices some signs that someone headed down this same path recently, which is not a trail and leads through some (light) underbrush. Clearly whoever it was, is just as concerned with speed as you are.
Dust indicates the signs to the others. "I doubt this one will make camp, and if they do that simply gives us a means to surprise them. I say we ride through the night."
Rhavi: "How long ago, Dust?"
Dust: "Hour or less."
Rhavi: "Levin, can you transform yourself as you did with the Cener? If you can take GrimBeard ahead we may be able to stop the assassin early. At the very least we can get eyes on him."
[OOC] LW GM: That transformation is hereby declared non-canon
Levin: "Alas, no. It was a one-time deal."
[OOC] LW GM: I declare that close enough.
Rhavi: "Can you speak with the beasts of these woods to find out where he is?"
Levin: "…That I could do, yes." He makes some bestial calls…
LW GM: Levin fails to get a response. Hey… it is awfully quiet all of a sudden…
Levin: "…That worries me."
Rhavi: "What?"
Levin: "Notice how it just went completely silent?"
Rhavi: "Not until you mentioned it, no. What should we expect?"
Levin: "Visitors of an unsavoury kind, I suspect."
Dust dismounts and unsheathes his blade, resting it against his knees.
LW GM: As you get closer to the river, the ground becomes more swampy.
Rhavi halts when Dust does
Rhavi: "That is an excellent idea…"
Rhavi dismounts and loosens his weapons in their scabbards.
Levin retrieves and strings up his bow, drawing an arrow. He does not, however, dismount—the height advantage might be crucial.
LW GM: The group hears a soft whinny up ahead.
GrimBeard prepares his gun.
[OOC] LW GM: Hungry?
Levin motions a slow approach to the others. Preferably Avan or Dust, since they're the likeliest to make little to no noise.
Dust: "Above."
Rhavi stays back, having no illusions about his own stealthiness when on land.
Levin looks up.
Dust steps to the left, his gaze scanning the trees, shield slipping down from his shoulder in preparation.
GrimBeard stays back with Rhavi.
LW GM: Large figures the same brownish green as the trees leap down and surround you. They are huge reptiles standing half again as tall as you are (ignoring GrimBeard). You are surrounded on all sides without the possibility of a non-discipline-enhanced evade.
Avan has dismounted - in sprint situations, he's faster than a horse. He goes right, mirroring Dust's left.
[OOC] Avan: One discipline-enhanced evade here! ;)
Rhavi: "I don't suppose that we can just walk away from this?"
Avan: "Or talk our way out?"
LW GM: The toad-like faces of the reptiles betray no understanding of your speech.
Levin offers a greeting in his own Druidic way.
Dust: "They do not seem to speak any tongue I know. Herbwarden?"
Rhavi: "Master Grim. If they move, shoot them."
LW GM: The largest reptile throws back his head and screams. Levin understands that this is a call to attack.
Dust: "Contrary, if they do not move then we are still surrounded."
Rhavi: "Ah yes. Shoot them."
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License