20 Jan 13

LW GM: ***LOG START***
[OOC] LW GM: The assassin is hidden and sniping you from ambush, moving between different attack locations. Each round you must make a half-rank roll to be able to attack him in this combat. If you fail to get at least an eleven on this roll, you can do no damage that round, though you still take any damage indicated. The assassin has a 19 CS in total and this is a ranged combat. He is using the
LW GM: same venom he was during your first encounter (-2 EP per round until treated, starting the round after the blow).))
[OOC] LW GM: However, you do have more options in this encounter than 'killkillkill'. You can forfeit your attack to attempt to identify one of the assassin's sniping points and destroy it (a straight roll with a target number of 8 and only one such point may be destroyed per round). Each position you manage to take out will reduce the target number needed to attack the assassin by one. Two of the
LW GM: vantage points have already been destroyed, however Levin overcast the moon, negating the advantage that would otherwise give you.))
[OOC] LW GM: Once you have reduced the target number to 9, you will have removed all of his other vantage points and he will do his best to flee.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -3 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: -9
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 5 RNT: 6 Player: 0 Enemy: -12
[OOC] LW GM: You didn't do that 'where the hell is he?' roll
[OOC] GrimBeard: Crap, i thought that was for that. What do I roll for that precisely?
[OOC] Levin: … read the session introposts.
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10+3: 11 (11)
LW GM: A flash of movement catches GrimBeard's eye and he moves without thought. Lineing up his shot, pulling the trigger, and suddenly Dust can't sense any more danger.
Avan tries for a third sniper nest just in case.
[OOC] Dust: Obviously, GrimBeard was behind everything.
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 4 (4)
Avan does not pull off the hat trick, though.
[OOC] GrimBeard: Dance puppets DANCE
Levin dispels the clouds even before Dust signals safety, having noticed its impairments on his allies.
[OOC] LW GM: The sniper nest is named fate. It taunts you.
[OOC] Avan: Can I try to substitute the Happy Fun Ball as the target of the taunting? :P
Avan remains on alert until his allies are not.
Rhavi heads toward where GrimBeard had made his shot.
GrimBeard squints, trying to get a better look where he shot now that the clouds are gone, to see if he sees any movement.
Dust creeps over towards where GrimBeard last aimed. GrimBeard has never missed a shot; therefore, there must be something to find.
LW GM: The sight of one of GrimBeard's victims is never a pretty sight. And this is indeed one of GrimBeard's victims.
Rhavi rolls the body over with a toe
Levin takes over the now-part-assassin's camp, watering the horses and so on.
LW GM: The body is rolled over. It still has no signs of life.
Avan helps Levin, looking for tools the assassin may have left behind that he can put to better use.
Dust nods towards the camp. "The situation seems resolved, for now. Take it to the camp."
Rhavi shrugs and grabs the feet, hauling the body toward the camp fire
GrimBeard keeps a watchful eye as we proceed.
Dust as the body is moved, Dust listens, waiting. "I think he was alone." Dust moves into the campsite, settling near the fire. "And thus there is… less reason for haste."
Rhavi: "Maybe. I wills till feel better when I see the Albatross's sails."
Rhavi examines the body more closely in the light
LW GM: Avan and Levin find: A full coin purse with Fifty crowns, presumably his fee for dealing with you, a bow with two quivers of arrows (one of which is empty), two vials of a thick pasty white substance (one of which is nearly empty), and a dagger.
Dust: "Agreed. This should only be a short stop before resuming our course for your ship."
GrimBeard: "Agreed"
Rhavi pulls his throwing knife from the assassin's arm, wiping the blade clean on the corpse's tunic.
Avan surveys the goods. "You know, it has long struck me as odd that, no matter where I go, in any language I have yet heard, the word for this is the same."
Levin takes the arrows and ten crowns, and inspects the near-empty vial of substance.
Avan: "'Loot'."
Rhavi: "I like that word."
Avan hands the coins around: ten crowns for everyone.
[OOC] LW GM: And you can use it to make sweet music.
Avan picks up the bow, quivers, and dagger.
Avan: "Levin, what do you make of the white?"
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 8 (8)
Avan inspects as well. Is it a poison he is familiar with?
[OOC] Levin: herbal lore, etc.
Rhavi pockets the coins
Avan rolled up 1d10+3: 8 (8)
[OOC] Avan: Venom of Serpents - some knowledge of what he resists.
LW GM: The paste is clearly the poison he uses. It is derived from spoiled Laumspur and some other substances that neither Avan nor Levin can identify.
Avan inspects the weapons and quiver, then. Any signs or sigils, or other things that suggest they are anything more than mundane things?
Levin pockets the unopened vial, then, for study by his compatriots.
Rhavi looks for any sign of recognition from the Dauntless
Avan: "You are not going to take the other vial too? Is it not reusable?"
Avan gets to inspecting the corpse for anything usable.
Rhavi: "Does anyone think it was this one that drew the sigil on the Dauntless?
Rhavi: "
Avan: "Most likely. Not guaranteed. Do check your ship for odd markings when we return to it."
[OOC] LW GM: Everyone inspecting the body (beyond riffling through it's pockets) make a half rank roll
Rhavi: "I had planned to."
Avan rolled up 1d10+3: 13 (13)
GrimBeard: "Do assassins do tha'? I though they were jus ired guns, if'n you will."
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+3: 8 (8)
Levin: "I figured you might prefer to bring a sample back with you."
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 5 (5)
Avan: "Had that sigil gone off while we were high in the air, we would likely have been assassinated."
Avan: "A poison like that is…lesser. The vial itself is worth more than the assassin's brew."
Dust: "That is my suspicion. Though it would be unusual for one to be skilled in both magic and violence, save for the Vakeros. It is possible that the symbols were simply given to him by the Cener."
LW GM: The upper right arm is bandaged, but it feels like something may be hidden there beneath the bandage.
Avan removes the bandage.
Avan backs away, in case the something is explosive.
LW GM: There is a red flash and the body catches on fire. ((Everyone near by make a half rank roll except for Avan. Avan make a normal roll.))
Avan rolled up 1d10+7: 14 (14)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10 +3: 1 (1), 3 (3)
[OOC] Rhavi: well then…
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 4 (4)
[OOC] LW GM: Oh? Chessa's awake.
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10+3: 13 (13)
[OOC] LW GM: Avan grabs Levin and Rhavi to shield himself from the blast.
[OOC] Rhavi: Oh it is on…
[OOC] Avan: Nah. I grab Rhavi. GB grabs Levin.
[OOC] Avan: If "normal" meant "no rank", then that's 6 for my roll.
LW GM: Avan, Levin and Rhavi do not manage to evade the flames, and all were in contact with the body when it went up. The three of them take -4 EP.
Dust observes from a safe distance with an arched brow. "I am not certain a second fire was necessary."
Levin: "Trap."
LW GM: However, Avan did see what was under the bandage before the body went up in smoke. The same symbol that was on the hull of The Dauntless.
Avan: "The assassin apparently disagreed."
[OOC] LW GM: Less trap, more cyanide pill
Avan: "And the Dauntless's fiery sigil was on the assassin's body."
Avan: "So it was the same person."
Levin: "Or a cabal."
[OOC] LW GM: Or a brotherhood.
Levin: "Never assume there is a single enemy unless you have proof."
Avan: "Or that. In which case we may expect another assassin, yes?"
Dust: "This far out, likely the same person. People with the degree of skill such that we have, or that our assassin had, are rare enough that it is difficult to find a partner."
Rhavi nods and pats at his burned clothing
Avan: "And yet here we are five."
Dust stretches. "And unusual in more ways than one."
Avan inspects his body and his gear, since the party is taking a moment, and pockets that empty vial too.
GrimBeard: "Aye"
[OOC] Dust: About how late is it?
[OOC] LW GM: It is after midnight.
Rhavi: "Well. safe to say that they know their pet assassin is dead. We will be on the Albatross shortly and headed back to Holmgard, but what then?"
Levin: "Pray we get there and then on to our foe safe enough to defeat him."
[OOC] LW GM: Everyone make a HALF RANK roll. Emphasised for emphasis.
Dust: "Then, with all due haste, we meet with the king, inform him of our success, and inquire where the Sommlending, Kai monks and Crystal Star hold the line. Then, defeat the demon, scatter the Cener, and take advantage of a well deserved break."
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+3: 9 (9)
Dust rolled up 1d10+3: 4 (4) ((Because he made me.))
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 9 (9)
Rhavi: "Ah, so easy, I forgot."
Avan rolled up 1d10+3: 9 (9)
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10+3: 10 (10)
[OOC] LW GM: Freaky. 999. The number across town from the beast.
Avan: "Heh. Break for you, perhaps. I have yet a long road ahead, once this task is done."
LW GM: GrimBeard is the first to notice a light coming up the river. A moment later he is certain that it is The Albatross.
Avan: "Not that I wouldn't mind company, if any of you wish an excuse to travel far."
Dust: "I go where I am bid. Should Kai and Ishir seek to send me to Telchoi, Shadakine, or Bor, then that is where my duty lies."
Rhavi: "You are welcome to sail with me."
[OOC] LW GM: But Sai's not playing this game
GrimBeard points.
Avan nods. "The coastal route might be a nice change from the overland. Or possibly up the river."
GrimBeard: "Would ya look a' tha'?"
Levin: "And now, let us depart this dreary locale…"
Avan looks.
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License