23 Jan 13

LW GM: ***LOG START***
LW GM: Rounding the bend of the river is indeed, The Albatross. It is a welcome sight, but the wake it is leaving seems unusually large…
GrimBeard squints to see if he can make it out.
Rhavi studies the ship's wake
[OOC] LW GM: Rolls please, gentlemen. If you have any special sea or river knowledge (*cough*Rhavi*cough) add your half-rank. Otherwise a straight roll.
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+3: 9 (9)
Levin rolled up 1d10-1: 5 (5)
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 5 (5)
[OOC] LW GM: Anyone else studying the river wake? Alan Wake's little sister?
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 7 (7)
[OOC] Dust: is not.
LW GM: At first it looks like The Albatross is dragging something large, about the size of a cart, but Rhavi realizes that there are in fact three such things following the Albatross, though they are individually much smaller than a cart.
Rhavi starts to swear vehemently as the ship draws near.
Rhavi: "What are those things?"
Levin: "…Why's it look like it's dragging something behind it?"
Dust: "Considering what our current mission is, can anyone think of anything good that it might be? No?"
Rhavi: "Something is following it."
LW GM: The Albatross has sighted you and is slowing down. The first mate is on the deck and waving at Rhavi. He does not act like a man who is being covertly followed by three submerged objects…
Avan: "They don't know?"
Rhavi points to the wake
Rhavi: "Brace and all hands to deck!"
GrimBeard readies his gun.
GrimBeard quickly realizes he needs to name his gun. Bessie, maybe?
Rhavi: "Master Grim, shoot it."
GrimBeard takes aim with Bessie.
LW GM: Rhavi is just seconds too late. The anchor has been thrown down and the ship floats to a stop. The trailing wake disperses and it is now easy to see it as three separate wakes now. One of them heads for the anchor. A green scale hand reaches out of the river and grabs the anchor line.
GrimBeard corrects Bessie and aims at the arm as it emerges.
Levin draws his bow and an arrow in a hurry. "To arms!"
Rhavi: "Attackers from below! Harpoons and arrows lads! Ware the creatures from the river!"
LW GM: As the being slowly hauls himself up the line, every one feels the distinctive 'weight' on their minds of a psychic attack. ((No damage, but unless you have Mind Shield, I add +2 to their CS when they go after you.))
Levin rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 2 Player: -5 Enemy: -2 (Ranged, no damage from attack.)
Levin looses his first arrow, though it strikes a glancing blow rather than something genuinely effective.
Dust looses his blade in its scabbard, his shield dropping into position.
[OOC] LW GM: GrimBeard may attack as well
GrimBeard flinches from the attack, but readies Bessie.
LW GM: Levin's arrow hits home, causing the hands to fall from the anchor line. Though the wake now seems to be headed for your shore.
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: -1 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: -10
Avan tries to snipe Levin's target as it falls.
Rhavi scows at the pressure in his head but loosens his weapons all the same
Avan rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -10 (w/Bite of Fire for 2x damage)
Avan rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -9 (revised roll, w/Bite of Fire for 2x damage)
LW GM: Avan can not recall the last time he used Bite of Fire on something underwater. It would be cheating to use it to fish, after all, so he's not sure how well it works…
LW GM: And now he realizes why as his handbolt sinks beneath the surface of the river.
Avan has not dined on many fish, come to think of it. Nor has he fought that much under water.
Avan …growls.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -9 RNT: 0 Player: K Enemy: 0
[OOC] Levin: … Ow.
[OOC] Avan: Thank goodness for ranged attacks!
[OOC] Rhavi: hurrah for ranged…I see that Chessa is out to get me.
[OOC] Levin: Strongly recommend Rhavi not engage in melee with these guys. I sure ain't.
[OOC] Avan: Concurred.
[OOC] Rhavi: I will for one round. Then run like a scared wood elf
LW GM: The creature pulls itself from the river. It stands nine feet tall, humanoid but with the head of a crocodile. It is bleeding heavily, but seems healthy enough. All such analytic thoughts flee from your mind as you smell the presence of the creature. It is… not pleasant. ((Everyone make a STRAIGHT roll with a target number of five))
Levin rolled up 1d10-1: 8 (8)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 9 (9)
Dust rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 7 (7)
LW GM: Both Rhavi and Dust retch. ((-2 CS for the duration of this fight. Because Chessa might not have been able to get another K on Rhavi otherwise)).
[OOC] LW GM: Now new round, starting with the dwarf.
GrimBeard takes aim with Bessie, trying to strike down the smelly creature.
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: -1 RNT: 5 Player: -2 Enemy: -7
LW GM: A loud crack occurs when Bessie's but hits the thing's knee. But not even a dwarf's nose can laugh off that smell.
[OOC] LW GM: Next.
Avan charges and flays the thing, aiming to get his handbolt back!
Avan rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 6 Player: -2 Enemy: -7 (with some more biting fire now that it's out of the water)
LW GM: The thing tries to grab Avan's shoulder with it's claws and Avan only narrowly manages to get free before it can tighten down enough for a good grip. Still, not one to turn down a totally open limb, Avan manages to rake it along it's grabbing arm. The thing roars in pain.
[OOC] LW GM: Who else wants a crack?
[OOC] Rhavi: waiting to see who else goes since I go last
Levin rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 1 Player: -5 Enemy: -2 (whee!)
Levin takes a swing at the reptilian, gets a shoulderful of claws for his troubles while striking, again, only a glancing blow.
LW GM: However, Levin's glancing blow, was on an artery on the creature's leg. The creature stumbles and bleeds out before it can stand.
Rhavi looks to the crew
Dust scans the area for more of those creatures.
LW GM: The crew seem to have downed one creature, but not without cost. Many are dead or wounded, and you do not fancy their chances against the remaining one.
LW GM: Dust can not find any more creatures, but if they're moving slow enough not to create a wake…
Avan retrieves his handbolt from the thing.
[OOC] Dust: What about the other one attacking the crew?
Levin pulls out and looses another arrow, this time at the sole remaining foe.
[OOC] Rhavi: can I hit the remaining one on a throw?
Levin rolled up Ratio: -8 RNT: 4 Player: -5 Enemy: -3 (ranged, no damage to self.)
[OOC] LW GM: You certainly can, but you do not believe the crew will survive long enough for you to take it down at range.
[OOC] Rhavi: can I get to the ship easily enough for a charge?
[OOC] LW GM: you can move into range and attack this round.
Avan looses that handbolt against the remaining one, following it up with his own charge!
Avan rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -9 (w/Bite of Fire for 2x damage)
Rhavi charges the remaining lizard creature
[OOC] LW GM: Dust, what are you doing this round?
[OOC] Dust: Moving to engage the last creature if no other threats are making themselves known.
[OOC] LW GM: go ahead and roll. And since Rhavi has yet to be in melee this combat, this will count as his 'first round'.
Dust rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 5 Player: -4 Enemy: -5 ((Dust moves to engage the final creature))
[OOC] LW GM: Just in case of Frontier being Frontier?
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -9 RNT: 0 Player: K Enemy: 0 (+2 combat bonus)
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -9 RNT: 8 Player: -3 Enemy: -6
[OOC] Rhavi: bloody d key
Rhavi dances around the slashing claws, silently breathing thanks to Ishir as he loses a few locks of hair instead of his head
LW GM: The creature is bleeding from several places now, thanks to the efforts of Dust, Rhavi and Avan.
[OOC] LW GM: New round
Levin hangs back to try and espy for laumspur or so.
GrimBeard takes aim at the final creature. hoping to use Bessie to put many holes into it.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin, go ahead and make a half-rank roll, but that will be your action.
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 9 (9)
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: -1 RNT: 4 Player: -3 Enemy: -6
LW GM: Most of the creature's shoulder is blown away by that attack.
[OOC] LW GM: next
LW GM: Levin finds some wild Laumspur. He takes the time during the combat to properly harvest it. ((It will be available for use next turn.))
Avan charges again, wrapping his shiel-fa's strands around the stump of the shoulder and pulling off as much as he can!
Avan rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 1 Player: -5 Enemy: -2 (and biting with fire to cauterize the rest)
LW GM: With a strangled roar, the creature falls over the side of The Albatross and sinks into the river.
Rhavi: "Shoot it!"
Rhavi rushes around to see to the crew
Dust keeps a wary eye out for any more creatures from the water.
Rhavi: "Levin! We need a healer up here!"
LW GM: The crew is in a bad way. A full third are beyond help and no one got through this fight unscathed.
Levin hops up onto the ship and distributes the Laumspur he'd gathered. Any remaining doses he tosses to his compatriots.
GrimBeard rushes to the edge to see if he can get a bead on the creature in the water.
LW GM: GrimBeard can see no sign of the creature, not even a trail of bubbles.
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License