23 May 12

LW GM: *** LOG START ***
LW GM: After the events of last night, you needed a decent nights sleep. Fortunally, your sleep was uninterupted this night.
Rhavi stretches and yawns.
[OOC] Levin: Dawn, yes?
LW GM: The morning sun breaks through the clouds. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful-non-gigantic-spider-filled day.
Grimbeard awakens at the crack of dawn, not wanting to drown.
Dust rises. "A good sign. Perhaps we've left the druids behind, for now."
Levin 's already up and about by the time the sun shines through the clouds, checking on his charges.
Rhavi: "Make you rmorning ablutions everyone. We'll be on the river all day."
LW GM: The banks of the river seem to be fairly deserted, and not covered in cable-thick webbing. Most of you know that there is a small fishing town only a few miles down the river, who should be made aware of their druidic and spidery neighbors.
[OOC] LW GM: Avan being the only one unaware of the fishing town, or fishing in general.
Avan knows of the concept of getting meat from local animals, but…suspended in water? Well, if there's water about, perhaps.
Dust notes the town on the map. "Captain. We should pause in the town, long enough to report their… unseemly neighbors."
Avan rises from meditation - and watch. There is a reason he took the third of three watches.
Levin ascends to the deck for a short break. "We're near a town? We can rest a bit, hire on new crew, and so on while we're there."
Avan: "And get new supplies."
Grimbeard: "Agreed, and I can see if I can replenish ma boom powda!"
Rhavi: "We will stop and send a boat ashore, but our stay needs to be brief if we are going to keep to our timetable."
[OOC] Rhavi: - the hiring a new crew bit,)
[OOC] Rhavi: forgot we were down by 5
[OOC] Avan: What, we're not pressing on without the 5?
[OOC] Levin: Well, yeah. We need a steady supply of redshirts. :p
Dust settles by the railing, waiting.
Rhavi: ^
[OOC] Dust: Crew are like HP; the only ones that really matter are the last few, but no one wants to be without their ablative shield.
Rhavi steers through the waters, the lookouts calling directions back occasionally
Avan relaxes next to Dust. "…what was that parchment you were looking at earlier?"
LW GM: The trip down the river is calm, almost placid. It even provides the opporunity to show that in Summerlund that you only need to dangle a piece of string in the water to get food.
Grimbeard patiently waits, away from the sides of the boat, more in the middle of the deck.
Levin tries his hand at fishing for a bit…
Avan watches with interest, taking mental notes even.
Dust: ->Avan: "A map of the Lastlands, Sommerlund, the Wildlands and Durenor." He steps back from the railing, pulling out the parchment for Avan.
LW GM: The fishing village commes into view as you turn the latest bend in the river. It doesn't have any docks. Instead the locals use small rowboats to fish, and then run them aground at night. The soil is soft enough that it doesn't damage the boats. It does mean that a larger ship, such as your own, has no place to dock and has to send landing boats to enter the town.
Rhavi still glances about suspiciously at the trees. Life without seeing only water and sky is not to be trusted.
Avan READS WITH MUCH INTEREST.
Rhavi: "Okay. We" he gestures to Grimbeard, Levin, Dust and Avan, "are going ashore. Everyone else stays on the boat. Someone man the warning bell at all times. Understood?"
Avan looks around, reads map, looks around, points. "…here. Is this where we are?"
LW GM: (First, formerly second, Mate) "Aye sir."
Dust adjusts his cloak, nodding. "Yes."
Levin: "I would prefer it if at least one of us remained behind, just in case."
[OOC] Dust: You mean, someone with a name and a non-red shirt?
[OOC] Levin: Yes.
[OOC] Dust: /me points to the second mate. "Steve, change your shirt. You're staying here.
[OOC] Levin: Otherwise we'll come back to a ghost ship or something. Wouldn't want /that/.
[OOC] Dust: Logically, the captain should stay with the ship. However, no one ever accused captains of being logical.
Rhavi: "Then I will stay behind with the crew. You will need supplies for the passengers."
[OOC] Rhavi: was already typing it
Levin: "This seems fair."
[OOC] LW GM: Steve swaps out his azure shirt for a lovely mauve colored one.
Dust nods to Rhavi. "Be wary." Settles into the landing boat.
Rhavi grunts an affirmative
Rhavi: "Be back in two hours time."
Rhavi: "Less if you can manag eit."
Grimbeard: "You got it, laddie."
Avan vaults into the boat - and over it, swinging back aboard barely getting his feet wet.
Levin takes a seat in the boat, carefully balancing himself so as to not tip the boat over.
Avan: "…okay, the water is more pliable."
Rhavi laughs
Rhavi: "Just don't go giving this river life any time soon, Avan."
[OOC] LW GM: So what is everyone off to once they get ashore?
Avan: "Alright, two teams of two."
Avan: "What all do we need to get here?"
Avan: "Warning, supplies…?"
Dust nods towards the ship. "Replacement crew. Any local news or information."
Levin: "Crew."
Grimbeard: "I wanna look for more boom powda. Kinda need tha if we run inta those druids agin."
Dust: "And, in the event of druids, another bow. Or two."
[OOC] Rhavi: My suggestion would be to have the captain interview the crew first….
[OOC] Levin: We're not /complete/y incompetent on that front. :P
[OOC] Rhavi: In that case, does anyone mind if I send "Steve" to shore with you?
[OOC] Dust: What? That's crazy. You think a captain should have a say in who's in their crew? Blasphemy.
[OOC] Rhavi: pretend that is typed right. Long day.
[OOC] LW GM: What is your name? Keith. Get out a here! Who e'er heard of a pirate named Keath?! All right, ye can stay 's long as ye change yer name. And here, have a red shirt.
[OOC] Grimbeard: OOOOOOH! Watch out for KEITH!!!!!!!
[OOC] Dust: How likely is this small fishing town to have cannons and therefore a supply of boom powder?
[OOC] Levin: I would presume not very, but…
[OOC] LW GM: Percentile chance? 0%. You might find the ingredients to make your own though. It will cost though.
[OOC] LW GM: They keep their cannons, and their giant robots, hidden under the mountains.
Levin goes looking in the town's pawn shops for a decent bow.
Avan: "…right. Grimbeard and Levin are on supplies. Dust, let's take care of that warning first. You're known around here, right?"
LW GM: The proprietor of the small shop aproaches Levin. "Can I help you sir?"
Dust nods. "If not personally, than as a Kai Lord."
Levin: "Yes, I'm looking for a bow. I don't have any preference as to the kind, so long as it does its job well."
LW GM: You all notice that the largest home is in the aproximate center of the village. That is most likely where the headman lives.
Grimbeard nods to Avan.
Avan nods to Dust. "That's what I meant. Lead the way, I'll watch your back."
LW GM: (shopkeep) "Well then, I do have a bow I can let go for a price." The shopkeeper gives Avan an appraising look and Avan senses that the shopkeeper can probably tell exactly what is in his pockets, down to how much the lint weighs. "I think I can let it go for… fifteen crowns."
Avan looks to Grimbeard. "And you two watch each other. Just in case."
Dust glances around the village, letting his senses skim over the terrain, before heading towards the largest building.
LW GM: The bow is nicely made, but not from the summerlund wood you've come to expect. Instead it is made from the rib bone of some enormous beast.
Rhavi walks the decks of his ship looking for any damage done by the giant spiders
[OOC] Dust: Are we up before the village or are there people out and about?
Levin: "Ah…I would prefer a /wooden/ bow, actually…"
[OOC] LW GM: People are around
Grimbeard nods again and looks around, looking for boom powder, but not really expecting to find any. All the while staying close to Levin.
Dust knocks on (probably) the head master's door.
Avan follows Dust, not really expecting trouble but still looking about - for his own education, too.
LW GM: Rhavi doesn't spy any damage. However he does find a large… clot of webbing in the corner of one of the decks.
LW GM: (shopkeeper) "I'm afraid this is the only bow I have. I assure you that it fires well and the arrows fly true. You would be hard pressed to find a better bow for… thirteen gold crowns?"
Rhavi sets about to collecting the webbing
LW GM: The web seems to be covering something, or somethings rather. Small pearl shaped and sized spheres.
Levin: "Ah…let me talk with my colleagues. Five crowns?"
Rhavi: "Shit. Get me a lit torch!"
Levin: "Several are excellent bowmen, see…"
LW GM: A crewman rushes over and starts striking the flint, trying to light the oil-soaked rag atop the wooden stick.
LW GM: (shopkeeper) "Five crowns sir?! Fortunately you are clearly a novice to archery, otherwise I would have no choice but to be offended. Twelve gold crowns, but by all means have your more experience friends come to give their appraisement."
[OOC] LW GM: *you
LW GM: The door to the presumed headmaster's home creeks open and a wild-haired old man looks out at you with keen and alert eyes. "Can I help you youngin?"
Levin: "You can be sure I will do that. I'll be back." He leaves and heads towards the village chief's house, in hopes of catching up with Avan and Dust.
Rhavi takes the lit torch in one hand and uses his scimitar to clear the webbing away from what it is covering, pushing it to the side for late ruse.
Grimbeard follows Levin, nodding to the shopkeeper as he leaves.
LW GM: Grimbeard fails to find any ready-made boompowder, as he expected. He does luck into finding the necessary ingredients in the small market square. After going to the venders and compairing prices, he realizes he can get the lot of the ingredients he needs for a scant six crowns.
Dust: "I am Dust Fox, student of the Kai Monastery. I need to speak with the leader or head master of this village."
LW GM: The old man straights, rising to almost a full head above your height and looks down at you. "You have found him. What brings the Kai to my humble fishing village?"
Grimbeard spends the 6 crowns.
[OOC] Dust: About how far away from us is where we met the druids?
[OOC] Dust: Actaully, nm
[OOC] Grimbeard: Updated character sheet to reflect this
Dust brings the head man up to speed on the current situation.
[OOC] LW GM: It will take him around a day, but after that he will be back up to twelve shots of boompowder
LW GM: The man waves his hand dismissively. "Truly the spiders aren't a big concern. Wave a torch at them and they skitter back into the forest. We've got along together quite well for some time now. There's nothing quite like watching a water-strider bigger than your boat fishing, though not something you want to do right after lunch, mind." He frowns as you describe your encounter with the
LW GM: druids though. "The druids are new, and they seem to have a measure of control over the spiders, and that's bad. Thank you for the warning and we would apreciate it if you would go to the capital and tell the king. An organized army of spiders lead by the druids will need another organized army to stand against it."
Dust nods. "That is all." ((If the headman doesn't have anything more, Dust turns to head back to the ship))
[OOC] Avan: *organized
[OOC] Avan: If that's all, Avan has something for Dust on the way back - but not until the headman's dealt with.
[OOC] Dust: Avan's with him, so feel free.
[OOC] Avan: Waiting on GM to note if that's all from the headman.
[OOC] LW GM: It be.
Avan: "Since we are done early, do we hire the replacement crew?"
Dust pauses, considering. "That was on the list. We should round up any villagers looking for a short trip on the river."
LW GM: The newly promoted first mate brings a small group of men to be interviewed by Rhavi. They all clame to be experienced river sailors, which is almost certainly true. However, there is a world of difference in handling a rowboat and crewing a ship such as yours.
Avan: "…or that will have been accomplished already." Avan points to said group.
Rhavi sets the bosun to guarding the eggs with order to torch them all if they begin to hatch and looks over the side.
Rhavi: "This is all that you've got?"
Rhavi: He sighs "Permission granted. Get your arses up here."
LW GM: The probational first mate shrugs his shoulders as if to say, "It's a small village and most of the men have families. What more did you expect?"
Dust heads back to the boat.
[OOC] LW GM: Steve has very erudite shoulders.
LW GM: The fisherpeople clammer onboard.
Grimbeard heads back to the ship with the group and his ingredients, happy to be making boom powder soon.
Levin catches Dust's attention before he gets to the docks. "Hey, Dust. Need your advice on a bow I found in a shop here…"
Dust nods. "Show me."
Levin leads the way back to the shop.
Rhavi: To the rest of the crew: "Good news boys, you all just got promoted!" To the fisher folk: "Bad news boys, you're hired!"
Avan switches up partners, going with Grimbeard.
LW GM: The shopkeeper looks up as Levin enters with Dust in tow "Ah, you have returned with your learned friend. Please come and examine the bow."
[OOC] LW GM: -that +the
Dust nods, picking up the bow and giving it a thorough examination.
Rhavi has Steve set about showing the newest crew members around the ship, avoiding the cargo below and the small bolt holes that only the veteran crewmen know about
Levin whispers to Dust, "He started with 15 crowns. Unfortunately…" He holds up five fingers, then puts 'em back.
LW GM: The bow is obviously of ice barbarian make. Made from the rib of one of the fierce monsters that inhabites the frozen wastes of Kalte. The bow is of sound, even proficient manufacture.
Dust nods to himself. "Interesting. Where did you come by this?"
LW GM: (shopkeep) "Sir, I am a lender of gold in exchange for items. When someone takes out a loan and can not pay it back, it is my right to keep any item they offer up as security. The large gentleman who gave this bow never returned to the village. I have know idea what happened to him."
[OOC] Levin: no*
LW GM: "I can go as low as ten crowns. No lower."
Dust places 10 crowns on the counter. "That will suffice."
LW GM: Almost faster than you can see the shopkeeper takes the gold from the counter. "Then the bow is yours. May it always fire true for you and your string never break."
[OOC] LW GM: This is obviously a level twenty shopkeeper.
[OOC] Dust: We also know where he lives.
Dust hands the bow to Levin. "I will return to the ship now."
Grimbeard begins making his boom powder once he gets back to the ship.
Levin takes the bow. "Thanks for the assist, Dust. Thank you for the bow, good sir. May your shop have plenty of trade."
Avan watches. This has certainly been an educational experience!
[OOC] Rhavi: I could have gotten you 7
Levin does purchase some arrows for it with the crowns he has.
Rhavi returns to examining the "eggs"
[OOC] Dust: It was already 60% off.
[OOC] LW GM: twenty five crowns for a bow? Bullshit. I know in the books that you can buy one for twelve
[OOC] Dust: Bow: 25gc; Longbow: 30gc
[OOC] Levin: This /is/ a Mongoose production. :p
LW GM: The eggs lie in the container you put them in. There are twelve in total and the sit there, still and pearlescent.
Rhavi: "Levin! What do you make of these?"
[OOC] LW GM: Ah. Thirty rises to the bullfuckingshit level.
[OOC] Dust: Also keep in mind that the bow, crossbow, and long bow are mechanically identical.
[OOC] LW GM: Oh, believe me I know.
Levin examines the eggs once he's aboard ship again.
LW GM: Levin glances over at the pale grey spheres and a feeling of horror washes over him. They are unquestionably spider eggs, each one as large as your fist, and the sheen indicates that they could hatch literally at any moment, unleashing ravenous, swift, and venemous baby spiders.
Rhavi: "That look cannot be good. Time to burn them?"
Levin: "You should've burned them without waiting for me."
LW GM: Rhavi gathers up the eleven spheres and gets ready to put them to the torch. Eleven? Weren't their twelve when he removed the webbing?
Levin: "They could hatch at any—SHIT."
Rhavi: "We are missing one."
Avan: "…Ishir does not take live sacrifices." He looks to Dust. "Does Kai?"
[OOC] LW GM: No.
Rhavi: "Can't you summon it up?" Starts to torch the remaining eggs before throwing them over board
Levin: "Burn what we have, and let me think about what to do for the missing one."
Dust: "No."
Avan: "Didn't think so."
LW GM: Was there a flash of movement underneath the table?
Avan looks under the table.
Rhavi: "Dust, Avan! Go below decks please…we have a spider on the loose on the ship."
[OOC] Dust: A spider? Those egg sacs should… yeah, probably a good time to shut up.
Rhavi: "All hands! We have a situation developing! Find the spider. It would be about the size of your hands together."
Dust sets out on the Great Spider Hunt.
[OOC] Rhavi: Yes dust it is.)
Avan does too, heading below decks.
Levin sets out to hunt it down as well, shortsword drawn.
LW GM: The underneath-the-table area looks clear, and you remember to check the underside of the table as well. *tik* *tik* *tik* Though that might just be nerves. Clearly a newly hatched spider couldn't make enough noise to be heard by humans. *tik* *tik* *tik*
Rhavi sets to looking with the torch in one hand and the scimitar in the other
Avan rounds upon the noise.
LW GM: Avan can't see anything that could be making the noise. But he can still hear it. *tik* *tik* *tik*
[OOC] LW GM: Avan, make a roll. No reason.
Grimbeard stops making his boom powder, loads up one of his two good shots, and starts searching the shop as well.
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 7 (7)
Rhavi: "Don't go blowing holes in my ship, Master Dwarf. Unless absolutely necessary."
LW GM: Levin. There is a sudden weight on your shoulder.
Grimbeard: "Wouldna think of it! I use the other end when that would be a problem!"
Levin swats it off, spins, and slashes at whatever it was he swatted off.
[OOC] Rhavi: We'll get Steve a hook…
LW GM: Levin, you are in combat with the spider. It has a 15 CS, but it's size subtracts four from any damage you take. It will take two rounds before the others get to you, assuming you let everyone know that you found it.
Levin lets out a shout as he attacks.
Levin rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -10
[OOC] Dust: 15 CS… but how much Endurance?
[OOC] LW GM: Nice hit. It's still very much alive, and it chitters at you angry, but yeah it's injured. 5 End left.
Rhavi heads toward Levin
Levin slashes at the spider again…
Levin rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -10
[OOC] Levin: uhh. un momento while I make sure it's not broken.
[OOC] LW GM: Well, so much for Chessa's sense of drama.
LW GM: The spider is very dead, and in multiple pieces. So… how are those other eggs? Anybody keeping an eye on them?
[OOC] Rhavi: I burned them and thre them overboard
[OOC] LW GM: k
Avan: "…found it?"
Levin finds a loose scrap of cloth and wipes his sword clean. When the other guys show up… "Told you I was hardcore."
Grimbeard: "ACK! I missed alla thu fun?!?!"
Rhavi: "Is that why your shriek was several decibels higher than a eunech? "
[OOC] LW GM: Ack, you got ta save yer powder. Ya ain't got that much donchaknow?
Avan gets to gathering up the remains.
Levin: "Shall I hatch one of the other eggs so you can savour the sensation of a giant crawly on your shoulder?"
[OOC] Grimbeard: Point taken Master GM
Avan: "No. It's just wasteful to let remains go to waste."
Rhavi: "Oh, sorry, too late. " he grins.
Rhavi: "Haul anchor!"
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License