24 Oct 12

LW GM: ***LOG START***
LW GM: Dust, Levin, and Avan cast about for the trail. The ground is torn up and disturbed by the recent activity both above and below the ground. Finding the trail again will take effort ((Trackers may make a half-rank roll. Non-Trackers make a straight roll.))
LW GM: Meanwhile Sornath and the crew review the recent damage. Little if any damage was caused by the recent attack, though there is wounded. Sornath calls Rhavi and GrimBeard into his cabin for a private chat. "With the crew wounded and already spooked by that attack, I can not send out an expedition to investigate that attack, as every hand is needed here on the ship to finish repairs so
LW GM: that we may ascend in the morning ", he informs the pair. " However ", he continues, " as neither of you are actually members of the crew, your contributions were not factored into that calculation. So you may go and investigate should you wish without worrying that you are leaving The Dauntless undefended. What say you? "
Levin rolled up 1d10+2: 12 (12)
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 9 (9) (tracking)
[OOC] Levin: Why no, I didn't slip Chessa a nice, juicy steak before gamestart. Whatever gave you *that* idea?
Rhavi: "Get your boomstick ready, master Grim."
Avan rolled up 1d10+2: 11 (11)
GrimBeard: "You got it, Boss."
GrimBeard smiles
Rhavi nods to Sornath and heads out toward where the man with the stone crown disappeared.
LW GM: The trail is not quite obliterated by the recent combat and burrowing, and heads deeper into the forest. It continues faintly about half a mile before you come to a stone circle, not dissimilar to the one you encountered the Cener at.
[OOC] LW GM: That was to the Dust/Avan/Levin group.
Avan: "Does this mean what it looks like it means?"
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 7 (7) (sixth sense)
Levin rolled up 1d10+5: 12 (12) (Green Purge)
LW GM: GrimBeard and Rhavi proceed into the forest. Fortunately their trail was not semi-trampled, and is quite easy to follow even for tracking novices.
LW GM: In fact, both trails seem to converge at a small stone circle.
[OOC] LW GM: Unity!!!
Rhavi: "Where did the leader go? He seemed to disappear." He follows the trail further into the forest.
Rhavi looks up at the others
Avan looks down at the others.
Levin: "I didn't expect you'd be out this way. Then again, I didn't expect *that*, either." He points at the stone circle.
Rhavi: "We didn't expect the attack by a crew of seeming zombies and a man wearing a stone crown either."
Avan , in fact, gets to checking the local trees, seeing if anything - like an ambush - is up in them, while the party meets and chats.
Avan: "Or a circle of worms."
[OOC] LW GM: Okay, Levin that's a very nice roll for Green Purge, but exactly why did you roll it?
Rhavi catches the others up on what happened at the ship.
[OOC] LW GM: But you know what, we rarely get to see this amount of Chessa love, so everyone make a straight roll.
Dust rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: 1 RNT: 5 Player: -2 Enemy: -9
[OOC] Rhavi: drat
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 2 (2)
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 5 (5)
Rhavi: "What are the Cener doing here?"
Levin rolled up 1d10-1: 7 (7)
[OOC] Levin: Cos I figured it'd give me insight on the stone circle?
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 0 (0)
[OOC] Levin: …
[OOC] Rhavi: What was that about Chessa love?
GrimBeard: "Ah can topple tha pillar Boss. Won' leave much in tha way o' powder for the remainda of tha trip tho'."
[OOC] Levin: Clearly I was the only one who bribed Chessa today.
[OOC] Avan: Avan isn't looking at the circle.
[OOC] LW GM: Lo and Chessa giveth and she taketh away. Ith.
[OOC] Avan: …unless Avan is looking for an ambush, and finds one?
Rhavi: "Then we should save it and rely on brute strength. I am quite certain that the five of us can topple the pillar."
Dust casts a wary glance around the circle.
Rhavi: "The trail led this way though as they retreated. Where are they?"
[OOC] Dust: Where do the tracks lead? Just to the circle, or inside the circle, do they just stop?
[OOC] LW GM: The trail you followed was very faint owing to having been mostly obliterated, and you lost it shortly before the circle. The other trail, the one Rhavi and GB followed was far more distinct and seems to stop at the circle, but not actually enter it.
[OOC] LW GM: And I mean right up to the circle.
Avan looks for a third trail!
Avan: "Do you suppose this circle moves people elsewhere? Or there is a trap door underneath?"
Levin: "…One of those stones is bleeding. Standing stones aren't supposed to bleed." He points.
Avan: "…"
Avan hops down and tries to push it over.
[OOC] Avan: The one Levin indicated, that is.
Rhavi makes the warding sign of Ishir with a muttered oath
[OOC] LW GM: Avan, you neglected to take the 'pushing rocks over' discipline, so make a straight roll.
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 0 (0)
[OOC] Rhavi: Damn.
Avan: "A little help here? There could be someone buried under it."
[OOC] Levin: This is a cue for the standing stone to actually be a giant.
Rhavi puts his shoulder into it with Avan
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 5 (5)
GrimBeard goes to assist his boss.
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 2 (2)
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 11 (11)
Dust: "Tampering with these stones is not wise."
LW GM: The stone begins to tilt downward due to GrimBeard's more than heroic efforts. The stone creaks loudly as it is shifted.
Rhavi stops immediately at Dust's words
Rhavi he motions GrimBeard and Avan back as well
Rhavi: "What is so special about them, Dust?"
Levin swoops in to pull any bodies out before the group lets the stone fall gain.
Avan releases and hops back.
GrimBeard stops immediately when Dust says as well.
Dust: "I do not know. The danger is palpable, and the sensation grows when the stones are disturbed. But I have no training in what magic this may be.:
GrimBeard: "So…."
GrimBeard pauses, thinking.
Rhavi: "Hmph. Then we had best be extra wary until the Dauntless can lift off in the morning."
GrimBeard: …should I make it go boom? "
Levin: "I wouldn't."
LW GM: Avan notices that the stone's bleeding seems to have increased when it was shifted.
Rhavi: 'Keep the powder for more important uses, Master Grim. I doubt that it will be easily replaced. "
Avan: "More blood came out when we moved it. Might the blood itself be malevolent?"
Dust: "For quite a while, at least. There is no guarantee we will have an alchemist in Hammerdal."
Avan: "Can you tell the specific source of danger that you sense?"
Dust: "No. The danger is pervasive throughout this area. Either the forest itself, or several smaller creatures, or one very large one. Those are not necessarily the only options."
Rhavi: "Does it matter? There is clearly evil here. I suspect that the mindless slaves will be back to attack with reinforcements sooner rather than later though."
Levin hmmms, then very cautiously, hand on the hilt of his sword, walks to the center of the circle.
Avan: "So we defend the ship?"
Avan: "Set watch, like we did on the river?"
Rhavi: "I think that would be best. We can be on our way at first light. Not that it does us any good since we are marked."
LW GM: The bleeding stone creaks again as it shifts downward.
Avan: "I think perhaps we should be on our way back to the ship?"
Avan backs off, out of the circle.
Levin steps back out of the circle. "Another thing to bring to the attention of my order, then. Hopefully they will arrive in time…"
Rhavi: "Oh damn. the stone is going to fall."
GrimBeard steps out of the circle as well.
LW GM: With a final sustained creak, the stone tumbles to the ground. It lays there for a moment as the creak echos, then the stone crumbles into dust, leaving behind the body of one of the men Rhavi wounded.
Avan: "…"
Avan: "…evil or not, if that's the thing, we may do well to knock them all down."
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi did it. Never trust a pirate who never shivers his tempfiles.
Rhavi grabs the hilt of his weapon in a white knuckled grip.
Rhavi: "Well. Now we know where they went."
Avan looks to Rhavi. "You recognize him?"
Rhavi: "Yes. The cut across his face is from my blade. He and about twenty others attacked the ship."
Levin: "Was there anything odd about him specifically?"
[OOC] Rhavi: Is it the guy with the circlet?
[OOC] LW GM: No.
Rhavi: "Not this one, no. There was one though. A leader who was one of the crewmen that you came looking for. he had a stone crown of some kind on his head."
[OOC] LW GM: Everyone make a straight roll. Because I love watching Chessa make you suffer.
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 6 (6)
Levin rolled up 1d10-1: 6 (6)
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 5 (5)
Dust rolled up 1d10-1: 0 (0)
LW GM: Now that the rock isn't casting a shadow over it, Levin can see an engraving on the altar stone. It looks vaguely like a crown…
Levin: "…I bet the crown came from there." He points to the altar stone.
Rhavi: "Still think that we should leave this place alone, Dust?"
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 3 (3)
Dust: "The sensations have not altered."
Rhavi nods
Avan: "…knock over each stone in turn, and kill the man inside if he is not yet dead?"
Avan: "Though I know such practices are sometimes looked askance upon up here."
Rhavi: "Or just leave it alone."
Avan: "The question is, will it - and the ones within - leave us alone?"
Rhavi: "Good question indeed."
Rhavi: "Levin? Any ideas on this?"
Levin: "I wonder if destroying the altar would do any good."
Dust: "Levin, this seems superficially similar to the circles used by the Cener. Is it their work?"
Levin: "As far as I can tell, it's only superficially similar."
Rhavi: "What is it then?"
Avan: "An ally of Cener? Or a forgery?"
Levin examines the circle more thoroughly. "I'd guess a forgery, but…" He trails off as he concentrates on his examinations.
Dust: "Or simply using a similar methodology. There is too little information here and not enough time to acquire it."
[OOC] Levin: half-rank roll?
[OOC] LW GM: Go for it. Test Chessa's generosity. I dare you.
Levin rolled up 1d10+2: 3 (3)
Rhavi: "Then maybe we should wait here, and if they wake up deal with them accordingly."
[OOC] Levin: This is what happens when the GM dares me.
[OOC] LW GM: You can't see it, but have faith that I cracked my knuckles before I typed your thoughts…
Avan: "No."
LW GM: While the Cener are fond of making circles out of blood stone, this is ordinary, if bloody, granite. That implies that this is less of a forgery than a parody.
Avan: "If we are to deal with them here, we deal with them while they are helpless, one at a time."
Avan: "If not, then we leave them here."
Rhavi shrugs
Avan: "To wait here is to waste time - and to not be at the ship if another group, like the worms, attack."
Levin: "…the fact that it's bloody granite and not blood stone suggests that it's actually a parody."
Avan: "…a parody?"
Avan: "Carved from people?"
Avan: "Isn't that a bit…wasteful?"
Levin: "So is murder."
Rhavi: "Let's continue this back at the ship then."
Avan: "Right." The Telchoi is all too easy to talk into leaving, and starts to do so - only stopping if the rest of the party does not leave.
[OOC] LW GM: Just a reminder, Rhavi and GB have done, possibly, what they came here to do, but the rest are still looking for something.
Levin: "Mmm. We three have not yet completed our task, Avan."
[OOC] Dust: If his tracks stopped here and we have to play whack a stone until we get either 'random dude we're looking for' or 'monster that wants to eat our faces', random dude just got voted off the island and this is why you don't wander away.
Rhavi: "We'll join you then."
Avan: "Do you wish to hunt for our men in this circle?"
LW GM: An idle thought occurs to some of you, those of you who encountered them at least. Were those strange giant worms carrion eaters? And as a familiar rumbling begins to fill the glade, you begin to suspect they might have been.
Levin: "I am beginning to suspect…" and then the rumbling starts. "…that the worms ate our non-returnees."
[OOC] Dust: Apparently, we took door number 2. Is that? Yes, a monster that wants to eat our faces!
Avan hops into the trees. "Get back! Maybe they'll only eat the body and then leave."
Rhavi: "The what?"
Levin fades into the forest. "Worms. Large ones."
Rhavi scrambles for a tree, trying to help Grim up
[OOC] LW GM: Note that they are not there yet, you can still try legging it.
[OOC] Dust: Are they between us and camp?
[OOC] LW GM: You can't see them yet, and by camp I assume you mean ship.
Levin 's making his way back to the ship by this point.
Rhavi changes the course of his action and heads after Levin
Dust heads out, quick as he can (no point in being stealthy, cause worms).
Avan sees 3 fleeing, and follows suit.
GrimBeard follows Rhavi
Dust does keep an eye on anyone falling behind.
LW GM: The run back to the ship is frantic. On either side of the party the earth is occasionally pushed up by something big burrowing beneath it. ((Half-rank rolls if you have hunting, straight rolls if not.))
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
[OOC] Rhavi: Thanks Chessa.
[OOC] Dust: Hunting? Or a 'move fast' discipline?
[OOC] Levin: Does Hunter qualify?
[OOC] Rhavi: Like Evasion?
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 1 (1)
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 11 (11) (Hunting)
[OOC] Avan: If "move fast" counts, though…
[OOC] LW GM: Move fast works.
Avan rolled up 1d10+2: 4 (4)
Levin rolled up 1d10+2: 12 (12)
[OOC] Levin: Ah, there's the bribery kicking in again. :D
Rhavi leaps up, kicking off of a tree and swinging over a set of mandibles
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 6 (6)
LW GM: Avan speed turns out to be his undoing as an unseen root in the shadow traps his foot long enough for him to tumble head first into the earth, slowing him up enough for the ground behind him to erupt…
Avan tumbles, gets up, and keeps running.
[OOC] LW GM: Avan needs to make another evasion roll then…
Avan rolled up 1d10+2: 11 (11)
[OOC] Avan: Good enough?
LW GM: Avan narrowly dodges to the side of an attempt to remove his ankle (the one that got him in this mess coincidentally enough).
Avan keeps his ankle, forgets to thank the worm kindly.
LW GM: The group makes it out of the forest and spies the ship. Sornath has apparently seen the worm-things from the deck and has ordered that the ship be ready to lift off the second you are all on board. Now you just have to get on board. ((half rank rolls all)).
Levin rolled up Error: Found nothing parseable on line 11d10+@ ^
Levin rolled up 1d10+2: 7 (7)
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 5 (5)
[OOC] Rhavi: Evasion
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10+2: 10 (10)
[OOC] GrimBeard: Woo hoo!
[OOC] Levin: So it turns out dwarfs *can* jump. :V
Avan rolled up 1d10+2: 7 (7)
[OOC] LW GM: I'm going to make Levin stick with his first roll. :P
[OOC] Dust: Grenade jump?
LW GM: The Dauntless lifts off, leaving the worm things biting at air.
Levin: "Bad news, captain. The worms ate the crewmen who didn't return."
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License