3 Feb 13

LW GM: The Albatross remains stopped in the water and Levin has just finished tending to the crew. The news is not good. A full half of Rhavi's crew will never sail the mortal seas again, and half again as many are confined to the makeshift medical deck. Once the wounded sailors have been ministered to, Levin turns his attention to the party. ((Back up to Full EP.)) The crew that Levin has
LW GM: judged fit to be on their feet, look to Rhavi for direction. There is enough crew to sail the ship, barely, but it will be slow going. ((Any rolls Rhavi would make for sailing will be straight rolls without the benefit of his rank.))
Rhavi studies the men
[OOC] LW GM: The crew still standing, the dead, or the bed-ridden?
Avan dives into the water, determined to get his handbolt back.
[OOC] Rhavi: All
LW GM: It is not easy, or pleasant, but Avan manages to find his handbolt.
Avan returns to the ship once it is in hand. Time to get sailing, if the ship's master deems that the course.
Rhavi: "All available hands, take the dead to shore and build a pyre. Five men on lookout at all times on the Albatross. The wounded rest for now and those who can help the herbwarden, do so."
Rhavi: "We will make for Port Bax as soon as our grim work is done. It should be light by then."
Avan makes with the pyre work, then.
LW GM: The first mate salutes smartly, "Aye sir."
Rhavi: "There we will stop and make final payments to those who are unfit to sail the high seas and take on new crew."
Levin gives the prospective assistants a simple test before permitting them to aid his efforts.
Rhavi: "Levin, choose who you want to work with you. Avan, help me build the pyre. Dust, give the last rites to those who are with Ishir. Grimbeard, keep lookout on the ship."
Rhavi swings down to the embankment and begins to collect firewood.
[OOC] LW GM: Anything anyone wants to do or should I jump to dawn?
[OOC] LW GM: And the inevitable ambush thereof
[OOC] Levin: The test? Simple bit of herblore: brew a soothing cup of tea.
[OOC] Avan: We'll be away before dawn, no?
[OOC] LW GM: Probably not.
[OOC] Rhavi: That is a lot of dead..and a really big bonfire to build
[OOC] LW GM: In a marsh no less
LW GM: Only a few of the crew manage to pass Levin's test, but it is still work Levin doesn't have to do.
GrimBeard nods to Rhavi. "Aye Cap'n."
GrimBeard prepares Bessie and keeps a lookout as instructed.
[OOC] Rhavi: To answer your question, GM, I have nothing more to do until dawn
[OOC] Avan: Ditto
[OOC] Levin: Same.
LW GM: You work through the night, sending the dead on their final journey. By first light, you are sore and bone weary. Still the deed is done, and you are ready to continue on.
Rhavi: "All hands to deck! Draw anchor and set a course downstream for Port Bax."
Rhavi: "Dust, may I speak to you for a moment?"
Dust nods.
Rhavi leads him into the cabin and shuts the door
Levin distributes Activi-Tea to the men who need the perk-up.
LW GM: The wind fills The Albatross's sails and you are soon heading at a good clip towards Port Bax.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin, make a half-rank roll
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 13 (13)
Avan helps haul the anchor aboard and sees what needs doing. Airships were one thing, seaships are another. This is very much a learning experience he intends to take advantage of.
Rhavi: "We will not make it through the Gulf of Durenor without taking on more men. Can you screen them to see who may be a spy for the enemy?"
Rhavi: "I do not know the extend the the Kai mind powers, but I know that they are legendary for a reason."
LW GM: Levin can taste rain in the air. And with the winds running as fast and as wet as they are, it's going to be a serious storm.
Levin sends a runner to the captain warning of the weather.
Dust: "The Mindforce is strong amongst the Kai, but I am no master. I will do what I can to ensure our safety."
LW GM: A runner from Levin approaches Rhavi and informs him of Levin's prediction.
Rhavi nods his thanks to Dust and turns to the bosun. He sighs.
Rhavi: "Ask Levin if it is natural or brewed special for us."
Rhavi heads to the bridge
LW GM: The runner salutes and returns to Levin with the captain's question.
Levin gauges the weather, both to respond and to determine whether mitigation would be useful or productive.
Rhavi: "I'll take the helm, lad. Go start tying her down."
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 9 (9) (weather-eye check?)
LW GM: Levin decides that his small arts in weather control are no match for what Nature has done.
[OOC] LW GM: So you can keep your WP
Levin: "Natural, and inform the cap'n I can't do anything to mitigate it."
LW GM: The runner nods and so informs the captain.
Rhavi: "Of course he can't," he mutters. "Spread word to the rest of the crew to get her tied down as quickly as possible. This is going to be a nasty one."
Avan looks in the direction of the storm, thinking.
LW GM: The crew rushes into action, tying down sails and anything loose on the ship. Already in the distance you can hear the thunder and the rush of the winds.
Avan: "Levin. These…storms. Are they like when the desert floods?"
Avan: "And the danger is mainly because we are not fixed to the ground, aye?"
Levin considers. "Think of it as being kiiiinda like a dust storm or sandstorm, except with water."
Avan nods. "Does dropping anchor help?"
Avan: "Or is getting away from or around a better answer?"
Levin: "And the danger is the damage it could do to the ship, particularly the masts and such. And avoiding such storms is generally advisable where feasible, yes."
Avan looks up. "There's no easy way to fold the masts down, then?"
Levin: "Nope."
Avan: "Or tent them, to parry the wind?"
Rhavi shouts out the order to furl the sails just as Avan asks that particular question
Avan: "Hmm." Avan looks out to sea. "This storm - will it travel the coast? Would heading out to sea dodge it?"
[OOC] Rhavi: Where are they having this conversation?
[OOC] LW GM: Good question.
[OOC] Levin: Makeshift ward, I'd guess.
[OOC] Rhavi: So no where Rhavi can hear it then. Okay
[OOC] Avan: On deck, probably. But yeah, probably not near Rhavi.
Levin: "Damnit, Avan, I'm a doctor, not a seaman."
Avan: "Yes, but you know the path of the storm."
Avan: "Still, I'll ask Rhavi."
Avan goes and asks Rhavi.
Rhavi: "Since we are on a river we could possibly weigh anchor and ride it out. But if the river floods then we are in trouble depending on how rapidly the water rises. WE cannot head out to sea because we will hit the storm before then and because we don't have enough crew to sail on the seas."
Rhavi: "Add to that the wounded, and we are really just not having a good day. The one advantage of higher waters will be less rocks to watch our for though since we will ride above them."
Avan nods. "And there is no means to move other than the sails?"
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi, make a half-rank check. Yes, I know I said sea stuff would be at no-rank but this is an exception.
Rhavi: "If we deploy the sweeps we run the risk of hitting the banks and breaking every one of them. We can row for now, but we don't have enough people to make a difference since everyone who is able will be keeping the ship together."
LW GM: The rain comes immediately. One second it is not raining, and in the second, you are practically swimming. The crew are breaking out lanterns so they can see, for all the good it is doing them. With the wind, the rain is coming in at a flat line.
Rhavi cannot hold back a laugh that bubbles out of him
Avan: "…right."
Rhavi: "It makes you feel alive; Avan! One day it will kill us all, this tempestuous world. Is today the day? I do not know, but I do not intend to lose a second of it!"
Avan is very much out of his element, but looks over the stuff that looked possibly vulnerable to a lot of water.
[OOC] Rhavi: second
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi, make that roll please. Important situational stuff involved.
Avan: "But of course. The trick, though, is to wring as many good seconds as you can. There is a way to master this storm, just like anything the world throws at you."
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+3: 6 (6)
[OOC] Rhavi: sorry did not see it
[OOC] Rhavi: Pirates luck
Rhavi rolled up 1d0+3: 4 (4)
[OOC] Rhavi: Damn
[OOC] Rhavi: Maybe today will be the day afterall
[OOC] Levin: 1d0 == 1.
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+3: 4 (4)
[OOC] Rhavi: yeah…
[OOC] LW GM: Chessa really wants that TPK.
LW GM: It is odd. Water is coming down… well across… from the sky, the wind is creating waves, but Rhavi would swear that the water level is /lowering/.
[OOC] Rhavi: Can I use it again one after another?
[OOC] LW GM: Sure.
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+3: 6 (6)
[OOC] Rhavi: well…no worse than before
Rhavi: "Oh that is not good."
[OOC] LW GM: My description still stands.
Rhavi: "Everyone below! Go now!"
Avan goes. "The water. It is…going somewhere that will come back to us soon?"
Avan: "All at once?"
Rhavi: "Yes!"
Rhavi lashes himself to the wheel quickly
Avan: "I once heard a tale of the sand doing that." He spares one last look before going below deck. "This is going to hit harder."
GrimBeard goes below as instructed.
Dust is below deck.
[OOC] LW GM: Other than Rhavi, is anyone staying on deck?
[OOC] Avan: Levin's the only one left up. Is he safe in his ward?
[OOC] Levin: Pray he's fine where he is, because the wounded are almost certainly to be in more trouble than he is.
[OOC] LW GM: Natural Ward doesn't work that way. It's just +5 EP. Still… +5 EP can be all you need to survive this storm.
[OOC] Levin: Except I was talking about the section the wounded're in.
[OOC] Levin: Not, y'know, a Natural Ward.
[OOC] LW GM: Ah. My mistake.
LW GM: The Albatross is winding it's way among the rocks. The waves make the deck roll. Then… from behind the ship, everyone hears a loud *CRACK* that can not be mistaken for lightning.
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi, straight roll
Rhavi rolled up 1d10: 8 (8)
LW GM: From behind the ship comes a huge wave, carrying twisted branches and trunks of trees, as well as rocks all coming towards you at frightening speed. Rhavi deftly weaves the ship between both the rocky river bottom, and the debris flying at The Albatross. Even with Rhavi's piloting though, you can still feel the impacts, and each one is another weight on Rhavi's heart.
Rhavi: "Come one now, old girl, hold it together awhile longer"
LW GM: The Albatross is lifted high by the crest of the wave and then the wave passes. The river is still very choppy, but you believe that the worst has past. Unless, of course, all that debris clogs up the river downstream…
Rhavi calls for the first mate
LW GM: The first mate arrives at the captain's summons. He seems shaken but able to do his duty.
Rhavi: "Does this river narrow closer to the port?
Rhavi: "
LW GM: "No sir. I believe it widens in fact."
Rhavi nods
Rhavi: "Okay then. Start checking below decks. See what shape we are in."
LW GM: "Aye sir."
LW GM: The first mate takes a handful of crew with him to check.
Avan spies said crew coming below decks. "Need any help?"
LW GM: After a short amount of time the first mate returns. "Sir, the hull is sound. One of the port holes was smashed in by a small tree, but that's the worst of it. We were Ishir-blessed lucky."
Rhavi: "Indeed we were. Board the porthole and then start looking over the ship for odd markings."
LW GM: Despite the difficulties you have made wonderful time. The lights of Port Bax are in sight.
Rhavi refuses to relax until the ship is safely docked.
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License