3 Oct 12

LW GM: ***LOG START***
LW GM: The mood on the skyship is terse as word of GrimBeard's sighting spreads. Slowly the dots draw larger as the distance between The Dauntless and them shrinks. About half way through GrimBeard's preparations they become identifiable as eagles.
LW GM: Very very big eagles. A formation of ten Itikar carrying riders, ones wearing the brown robes of the Cener.
LW GM: As GrimBeard finishes his bomb production, the Cener and Itikar come into range, firing sickly green beams at The Dauntless and her crew…
[OOC] LW GM: The well trained and co-ordinated responses of Captain Sornath and his crew give each of you +2 CS for the duration of the fight and manage to occupy the attentions of five of the Itikar, leaving five for you to deal with (feel free to include their contributions/rescues in your attack descriptions). Also the individual Cener/Itikar pairs are stated as one enemy with CSs of 24 each. Finally, this will be a ranged combat, at least until someone gets creative.
[OOC] LW GM: GrimBeard has provided each of you with a small round clay ball that he has given hurried instructions on how to make ready explode. When you wish to throw one, use .roll 1d10+2 (roll+half GrimBeard's rank). You will also roll a standard combat round as well where you do no damage (throwing the bomb is the action).
Rhavi: "Bloody big chickens!"
GrimBeard: "These things are gonna be more maneuverable than we are. User yer bombs carefully lads!"
Rhavi: "Noted, and thank you, Master Grim."
[OOC] Avan: Does this ship have guns?
[OOC] Rhavi: How close are they getting?
[OOC] LW GM: No guns.
[OOC] LW GM: They are in ranged… range. You can hit them with arrows/thrown knives/handbolts/guns/small lobed clay spheres, whatever
Levin retrieves his bow. "And if you've arrows, bows, and marksmanship, employ 'em."
[OOC] Dust: Except Grim's, right?
[OOC] Levin: Can I replace an arrowhead with one of them clay balls?
Rhavi: "Levin! Can you turn their beasts against them?"
[OOC] LW GM: Now?
[OOC] LW GM: Levin, I am never allowing you to watch Dukes of Hazard again.
[OOC] Levin: Not immediately, but for my next action. Maybe.
Levin reaches out to the eagles' minds with his own…
Avan considers. Ducks down to the engineering supplies really quick, comes back with a spare plank. Hops up to a taut rope, ready, aaaim…imbue with Ishir's wrath, and FIRE!
[OOC] LW GM: Technically yes. But each sphere is slightly larger than your fist. You most certainly can stick it on the end of an arrow, but it won't fly.
[OOC] GrimBeard: But the bridge is out on Old Creek Road!
Avan rolled up Ratio: -3 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -10 (Serpent's Speed + Impale + Bite of Fire for double damage)
GrimBeard waits patiently until he sees his shot and lobs his bomb at one of the eagles.
[OOC] LW GM: I will allow you to take this action back if you want. Bear in mind that if you use your handbolt, there's no telling when you'll get another one.
[OOC] Avan: Notice the fluff. Not using handbolt.
[OOC] LW GM: Ah.
[OOC] Avan: Yes, he's using the ship as a bow.
[OOC] Rhavi: he is rigging a trebuchet
[OOC] Avan: A small one, to be sure.
[OOC] LW GM: Because I shouldn't be allowing it in the first place, you'll do half damage, which nicely negates your Bite of Fire bonus.
[OOC] Dust: Where do the Cener seem to be focusing their attack? All over, or are they targeting certain parts of the ship/crew? What effect does the beam have on its target?
[OOC] Avan: Aww. :P
[OOC] LW GM: At the moment, they're concentrating on the rear of the ship… mostly because that's what's available to target.
Rhavi rummages into his pack, quickly bringing out his rope and making a lasso out of one end
LW GM: The board bursts into flames midway to the Itikar, causing it to pull up short, but not enough to entirely avoid it's impact.
[OOC] LW GM: GrimBeard.
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10+2: 12 (12)
[OOC] GrimBeard: Chessa, I love you tonight.
Avan: "…timing. Hmm."
[OOC] LW GM: GB, also make a combat roll (use Avan's as a guide if you don't remember how) to see how much damage you take as well.
[OOC] LW GM: Just noticed Dust's second question, it seems to create illness as green blotches appear on the people struck and they collapse in weakness.
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 0 RNT: 6 Player: -1 Enemy: -9
Levin uses the mental imprint of the first Itikar to, as he jumps off the airship, transform into an Itikar himself. He then dives upon the Itikar Avan flamed with his talons.
Rhavi watches, momentarily distracted by Levin's feat. "Well then…"
LW GM: GrimBeard's bomb flies in a high arc towards the approaching Itikar. GrimBeard counts down softly under his breath before the sphere explodes in a flash of yellow and white light and a sound not unlike a thunderclap. The bomb was only an inch away from the Itikar's head, which seems to have evaporated in the explosion.
[OOC] LW GM: GB's goose is cooked.
[OOC] LW GM: Dust!
[OOC] LW GM: Levin's actions do not come off until last (mages stay in the back also applies to combat order)
[OOC] Levin: Boo hiss.
Dust rolled up Ratio: -3 RNT: 6 Player: -2 Enemy: -7 (Dust pauses. Too far away to speak with. His eyes flick to GrimBeard's clay ball. Well, the dwarf hadn't failed yet. What's the worst that could happen?)
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 10 (10) (For explosive.)
Rhavi: "Captain! At my word, slow the Dauntless down!"
[OOC] LW GM: … Chessa loves the boom booms
[OOC] Dust: Chessa kinda owes me for Saturday.
LW GM: While not quite as perfect a throw as GrimBeard's, Dust's bomb explodes just under the right wing of an Itikar. The Itikar drooped out of sight too fast for Dust to see exactly what became of the wing, but you would assume the best case scenario for the Itikar is it's broken.
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi!
Rhavi palms the clay ball, looking at the next Cener in line
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 6 Player: -3 Enemy: -6
[OOC] LW GM: Technically it's more what remains of a 'V' formation than a line, but I'm quibbling to be a jerk.
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+2: 3 (3)
Rhavi lobs the clay ball at the Itikar, aiming more for the rider
[OOC] Rhavi: Chessa doe snot love this explosion
LW GM: Just as Rhavi is about to throw, one of the green beams strikes him in the right knee. The pain and momentary weakness does not impair his throw markedly the sphere strikes the Cener in the chest… and does not explode. The Cener catches the sphere and looks at it quizzically before a horrified expression crosses his face as he links the sphere and what happened to his two colleagues. He hurriedly drops the sphere after that.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin!
Rhavi: "Damnation!"
Levin dive-bombs Avan's target, talons extended so as to destroy, or at least severely injure, a wing.
Levin rolled up Ratio: -7 RNT: 1 Player: -7 Enemy: 0
[OOC] Levin: … Blow me.
[OOC] LW GM: The Cener has prayed to keep his Cener hand strong as he slaps Levin out of the air.
LW GM: While Levin can take the form of animals, it is a far cry from having the instincts and reflexes such an animal would naturally have. Levin dive-bombed too early, leaving him open to both a counter-rake from the Itikar and a point blank blast from the Cener.
[OOC] LW GM: And back to Avan.
Levin caws his pain and fury.
[OOC] Dust: Serpent's speed only triggers in the first round. Shouldn't it be Grim?
[OOC] LW GM: Yes! GrimBeard!
[OOC] Avan: Yeah, was wondering.
[OOC] GrimBeard: What is the current locations of the birds / riders?
LW GM: There are shouts of victory from the port-side of the airship. One of the Itikar went above and beyond, pouring on the speed in an attempt to flank The Dauntless, and the crew has given it a right and proper reward for such effort.
[OOC] LW GM: The crew is handling some of it, you still have three to deal with.
[OOC] LW GM: One of the three is somewhat wounded.
[OOC] LW GM: There are still two bombs floating around…
[OOC] GrimBeard: Grim didn't hand them all out?
[OOC] LW GM: He did, but two haven't been used yet.
[OOC] LW GM: i.e. if they're not going to use them (and Chessa loves you and Dust…)
[OOC] GrimBeard: Who still has theirs?
[OOC] Levin: Levin left his aboard.
[OOC] Dust: Avan and Levin. Though Levin is busy.
[OOC] LW GM: Levin's is on board if you want to swipe it.
[OOC] Dust: But apparently it is on-board. A big bird told me.
GrimBeard looks to the unused bomb he had handed Levin, grabs it, and looks for an opportunity to lob it.
[OOC] Rhavi: you use it, Chessa likes you
[OOC] Rhavi: Or that works too
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10+2: 6 (6)
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 0 RNT: 1 Player: -4 Enemy: -4
[OOC] LW GM: Where has the Chessa Love gone?!
Avan considers. Ties a length of rope (from his pack, no less) to the back of his handbolt, then throws it. Makeshift harpoon, go!
Avan rolled up Ratio: -3 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: -9 (Bite of Fire for double damage)
[OOC] Avan: Note that Bite of Fire specifically fires the leading point, and the potentially-flammable rope is on the rear of the handbolt.
LW GM: GrimBeard is struck full in the chest by one of the verdant Cener beams, but that does not impede his throw one whit! The bomb flies true, slightly grazing the beak of the Itikar when it explodes…. into a cloud of smoke. The Itikar breaks off, looking for a place to land and air to breath.
[OOC] Dust: How many are left of the five, and how many unwounded?
[OOC] LW GM: Dust: 2 and one wounded.
LW GM: The added weight of the rope slows the handbolt's flight more than Avan had anticipated. A good blow was struck, but not quite as much as Avan had anticipated.
Avan has left his bomb on the deck. Somewhere where it won't roll away, but not in Avan's hands right now.
LW GM: Scattered through out the deck are small lidded containers to keep items from blowing away in the strong wind. Avan can make use of that to keep the bomb from flying off the ship (until he's ready.)
LW GM: The containers are bolted to the deck.
[OOC] Levin: Right. Dust/Rhavi/Levin, right?
[OOC] Avan: Mostly: if anyone else wants to use Avan's bomb, go for it.
[OOC] Dust: I'll leave that for Grim to claim. *places the 'explosives here' sign nearby*
[OOC] LW GM: Levin, yes.
Dust takes a surveying glance of the battle, eyes falling on that last, as yet unwounded eagle. He then turns, scaling the rigging to the crow's nest. Taking one of the many long lengths of rope and securing it tightly to the railing, then tying it around and through his belt. He takes one more moment to eyeball the angle… certainly no different from a pendulum. So simple.
Dust rolled up 1d10+2: 7 (7) (Hunting is my go-to skill for stupid things.)
[OOC] Dust: …better than I hoped.
[OOC] LW GM: I think Chessa is trying to apologize for Saturday.
[OOC] Dust: Let me know if I landed on the unwounded eagle.
[OOC] LW GM: You're still under-fire, so also make a combat check.
Dust buries one hand in the eagle's feathers to hold a grip, then takes the keen edge of his blade to slash out the straps on the Cener's saddle.
Rhavi grins at Dust's actions
Dust rolled up Ratio: -3 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: -9
LW GM: Dust swings through the air, missing beams by less than a hair's width before landing on an Itikar behind it's Cener. Before the Cener can react (though to be fair this was not covered in evil druid school) Dust's blade finds the girth of the Itikar's saddle and slices it neatly in two. The bird is fine, but the Cener suddenly learns that gravity is a harsh mistress indeed. Dust swings back over The Dauntless before letting go of the rope and landing in a half crouch.
LW GM: The final Cener gives out a short series of whistles and the entire group breaks off. ((Levin and Rhavi can both still make their attacks if they like, at no risk of damage even.))
[OOC] Rhavi: where is the last Cener?
[OOC] LW GM: On the last Itikar, heading away from The Dauntless.
[OOC] Levin: That'll be the one I'll target.
Avan pulls back on his handbolt, trying to bring his impaled target in. "GET OVER HERE!"
[OOC] Avan: For effect only.
Rhavi scoops us the last bomb, and lobs it at the retreating Cener
[OOC] GrimBeard: ScorpiAvan?
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 6 Player: -3 Enemy: -6
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+2: 5 (5)
[OOC] Avan: No fire breathing, sadly. Not yet, anyway.
Levin dive bombs the last Cener, striking before the shock from the bomb can wear off.
Levin rolled up Ratio: -7 RNT: 2 Player: -6 Enemy: -1
[OOC] Levin: Here's to hoping I knock the dood off.
LW GM: Like GrimBeard's last throw, Rhavi's bomb explodes in a plume of smoke, speeding the Itikar retreat even more.
Avan unfortunately finds his handbolt simply yanks free of his target, and reels it back in.
LW GM: Levin definitely feels /something/ catch in his claws and tear, but in the smoke he could not see what he grabbed. The smoke /reeks/ like old eggs.
LW GM: Small wonder they're retreating.
LW GM: A cheer goes up from the crew.
Levin returns to the ship and finds a suitable landing zone before shifting back into humanity.
Avan flicks his handbolt clean, unties it, then re-secures it.
Dust wipes his forehead with the back of one hand. "Good job on those bombs, GrimBeard. Anything else on the horizon?"
Rhavi limps over to Levin
GrimBeard looks around, looking for signs of more attackers.
LW GM: Other than the swiftly retreating Itikar, GrimBeard sees nothing else on the horizon.
Levin: "What did you put in those bombs, GrimBeard? Rotten eggs?"
GrimBeard: "Thanks laddie. Nuthin' else on tha horizon tha' ah can see. I think we're in tha clear."
GrimBeard: "Jus some household chemicals in the proper proportions. Like mum used to make."
GrimBeard smiles
Rhavi: "That was some fancy flying there Levin. And I think that your mother was a very interesting individual, Master Grim."
[OOC] LW GM: To the untutored nose, brimstone can have an aroma not unlike that of old eggs.
GrimBeard: "Tha she was laddie."
Dust: "Then we should see to the wounded. How did the ship fare?"
Rhavi starts the rounds looking for injured crew and damage to the ship
Avan looks over the railing, being very careful not to overbalance, but someone needs to see if they shot the hull.
Levin heads to the sickbay with a nod to the others.
Sornath: "The ship is sound and unharmed, but several of the crew could use some of Master Levin's ministrations. Several have symptoms of some strange disease that I am hoping he will tell me is both non-lethal, and non-contagious."
Rhavi helps get the wounded to wherever Levin directs
GrimBeard stay on deck for awhile, helping the crew and keeping an eye out for any more attackers.
LW GM: Levin is cheered to find that the injuries and symptoms the crew have are temporary and should fade entirely within the hour.
Avan: "So, where did they come from, and will there be more?"
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License