5 Sept 12

LW GM: Dust, Levin, and Grimbeard stand before the Guild-master of the Crystal Star while Avan and Rhavi wait outside. "Please have your colleagues join us. I would have as many first hand accounts of this demon as I can. And there is the worrying nature of your journey here. I have a suspicion, and I would like to have your entire group before me to test it."
Dust turns and opens the door for his colleagues.
Avan enters.
[OOC] Dust: Okay, they guessed it, Dust's the traitor.
Rhavi looks down from studying the rafters and follows Avan's lead into the room
LW GM: "Is that everyone then? Splendid. Now I must ask you to not move for a moment while I test a small theory." He begins chanting in a language none of you, not even Levin, understands. When he ends his chanting a sickly green mist rises off of each of you for a moment. "I see. That explains much."
Levin: "Ah?"
Rhavi realizes his hand from where it had come to rest on his knife.
Rhavi: "Explains what?"
Avan waits for details.
LW GM: "It explains the… strangeness and malevolence you have encountered on your journey here. I am afraid that each of you are marked. Most likely by the demon."
Rhavi: "Can you get it off?"
Levin: "I hope you have a magic eraser on hand, because I'd prefer to not be marked by or for evil."
Dust nods. "What are the parameters of this mark? By nature, does it attract the influence of evil?"
LW GM: "By it's nature, no it does not. It instead allows the demon to know your general location. For example, the demon knows that you are in this room. It doesn't let the demon actually see or hear you though. The demon may know that you are in my office, but not that I am, nor even that this is an office."
Dust: "Were then the wytch and the necromancer minions of the demon?"
LW GM: "I'm certain that if you were to ask them, they would say allies."
Avan: "Minions they were, then."
Rhavi: "We never actually saw it…how did it get on us?"
LW GM: "Most likely he marked every human in the area, and then removed the marks from the Cener once he determined that you were not."
GrimBeard: "Tricky beastie."
Levin: "Proximity does sound likely, yes. Though not the removal of the mark on allies-I would expect the demon would want to keep tabs on its own fellows."
LW GM: "The good news is that I have the means to block it for a time. No more than a week. Allow me to make some preparations. They will be completed by tomorrow."
LW GM: "Perhaps. Though as it came from the same spell, it might not be able to distinguish between you and the Cener if he left it on them."
Dust: "Just to be clear, this will not remove the mark, merely obscure it for a short while?"
Rhavi: "Ah…we have to leave at first light, and have an appointment on a private ship this evening."
Levin: "If it can get a sense of distance, then that would be more than sufficient to identify us."
Rhavi: "What can remove the mark?"
LW GM: "Unless it sends the Cener after you."
LW GM: "That is the good news. You are already on the path to remove the mark. Kill the one who placed it. Or wait a century for the magic to fade. You probably want to take the first option."
LW GM: "And no, I do not have the means to remove the mark, only obscure it for a time."
Dust: "Can it hear through this mark as well? Or merely determine proximity?"
LW GM: "Proximity alone. It has no idea we are having this conversation, or even that I am here."
Dust: "A shame. At least it will sense its imminent demise."
LW GM: "The preparations should be ready by then, and I will have a brother come round to the ship with the talismans that will guard you."
[OOC] LW GM: I believe that is the entirety of the hurricane of questions
Rhavi: "Can it sense us as individuals or just that the mark is in this direction?"
LW GM: "It could sense if you split your group, but only the number in each group, not the members."
Rhavi: "So if part of the group were masked, and the other part not, it would not know who was where…?"
LW GM: "Correct. Do you have a plan then?"
Dust: "Several. Though they all rely on acquiring those weapons."
GrimBeard: "Ah think ah see where tha boss is goin on this one."
Dust ponders. "All but two."
Rhavi: "Some of us mask the mark and go to get the weapons, the others lead the demon's attention away."
LW GM: "The demon has no way to know that you are aware of the mark…"
Rhavi: "So it would think that it was our own volition that led us away." He grins, "We could go to Kalte, Avan, see a few sights…"
Levin: "Without knowing what to expect, I would guess that the unmasked group would face more danger."
Dust: "It has already been said that acquiring the weapons will be no easy task. Splitting up offers unavoidable risks."
Rhavi: "it does. However, if I were a demon in search of the only thing that could destroy me, I would send someone else too."
Levin: "I would prefer to avoid splitting up, frankly; it risks defeat in detail if the demon manages to overwhelm the distraction team and the extraction team isn't sufficient to defeat it."
Dust: "Or acquire the weapons at all."
LW GM: "I am afraid that I must ask you discuss strategy outside. I have much to do if the wards are to be ready by first light."
Rhavi: "I rather figured that I would be the only one to depart. The rest of you are more skilled at land related action than I, and I am many leagues from my ship."
Rhavi: "Of course, sir. thank you."
Dust: "Yes, we have already taken more of your time than necessary. Grimbeard has a stop at the alchemist's; we can discuss options at the inn."
Levin: "We sincerely appreciate your assistance, Your Excellency." He bows, then heads for the door.
GrimBeard nods and turns to leave with everyone.
Rhavi: "Away to the inn then?"
Avan almost mirrors the dwarf, echoing the sentiment.
Rhavi: "Except for Master grim and his entourage?"
Levin: "Aye."
Rhavi suits action to words "We will meet you there in an hour then?"
[OOC] LW GM: Are you all… loitering… outside the doorway of the guild-master of the brotherhood of the crystal star?
[OOC] Levin: Nope.
[OOC] Dust: Grimbeard and presumably Dust are going to the alchemist's. Everyone else is…. Elsewhere.
[OOC] LW GM: Uh-huh. Be off with ye before I call the proctors.
Avan is going with Grimbeard to the alchemist's. Need to thank her for the book.
GrimBeard nods to Dust and Avan and starts heading toward the Alchemist shop.
Dust goes with Grim.
Rhavi heads directly to the Inn
Levin joins Rhavi, then.
[OOC] LW GM: Ah. The book lady is not the the kind of Alchemist GB is going to. Just FYI.
[OOC] GrimBeard: As long as Boom Powda is there, yup.
Rhavi fills Levin in about The Undaunted on the way
LW GM: Grimbeard and his companions make their way to a different sort of alchemist than the one who sold Rhavi and Avan their books.
[OOC] LW GM: GB, how much cashy munny do you have?
[OOC] Dust: I think GB has more money than anyone else right now.
[OOC] GrimBeard: Gold Crowns: 15
[OOC] LW GM: Ah. K then.
[OOC] Dust: Hmmm. We should probably hit the guild-master up for some random cash.
LW GM: After a bit of haggling and wrangling and occasional reminders that a dwarf never hits *above* the belt, Grimbeard manages to get a full pouch of boombpowder for a mere five crowns.
[OOC] LW GM: Has Rhavi informed the others that they have dinner plans?
Avan looks around the shop, taking in the wonders of this city.
LW GM: Avan finds a tonic that is guaranteed to cure baldness! Even the baldness brought on by ritual scarring and burns.
Avan notes this as a variant of a healing potion, but possibly not very useful for him and his.
Rhavi: "So Levin…where do you come from?"
Levin: "I, like all Herbwardens worth the name, hail from Bautar."
[OOC] LW GM: Now I have to make up some splinter herbwarden sect.
[OOC] LW GM: Besides the Cener I mean.
[OOC] Dust: Name them the Cener.
Rhavi: He nods, " I've never been there. What is it like?"
[OOC] LW GM: It has the prettiest young flowers… the greenest of grasses… the barkiest of oaks…
Levin: "Well…" Levin ponders a bit, then relates a few of his own experiences.
[OOC] LW GM: GB, you gonna close the sale?
[OOC] Dust: Of course not. He knows that boompowder, like everything else a dwarf carries, rightly comes in kegs.
GrimBeard hands over the gold crowns and thanks the Alchemist for the trouble.
[OOC] LW GM: Back to the Crystal Swan?
[OOC] Avan: Apparently
LW GM: The group is reunited in the common room of the Crystal Swan.
Rhavi raises a cup in greeting
Rhavi: "before we plan too far afield..I have booked us passage on The Undaunted. We have been invited to dine with Captain Sornath this evening and make ourselves comfortable for lift off at first light."
Dust nods. "Excellent. Then, barring spy-pirates, flying druids or other such pests we should be in Hammerdal well within our time limit."
Rhavi: "Bringing us to the point at hand. If one were to travel separate for a couple of days before activating the charm, we could lay a false trail."
Avan: "I say it's better to activate the charm before we leave, and to have the weapons before it expires."
Dust: "That is another couple of days where the demon is free to ravage southern Sommerlund. We have no idea how far north it has gone. We should move as directly as possible."
Avan: "Move swiftly."
Levin: "Haste is of the utmost importance here, provided we are not too hasty. Every day that we tarry is a day that people die who shouldn't."
Rhavi: "We need to be sure that there are not eyes on us. As i said before, the surest way for the demon to find it's wyrd is to follow us to it."
Avan: "Let us have the weapons before then."
GrimBeard: "Am I wrong to say if we lay the false trail boss, that more people could die?"
Avan: "We have a week. That should be time enough."
Rhavi: "I really do not know, Master Grim. I was thinking that I would lay the false trail northward while the rest of you went with all haste to the south. After a few days I would vanish, only to reappear and lead them on a merry chase around Sommerlund."
Levin: "If that's what you'd prefer…"
Rhavi: "If we are quick about it and have no delays, it should be, aye. What are the chances of that though?"
Rhavi: "I would not prefer it, no. I just want to provide cover and diversion."
Dust: "How strong is your mind, Captain?"
Rhavi: "Ah…I have no honest way of answering that, Dust."
Dust: "We have a sky-ship, because you knew who to ask to get us passage. We surpassed the wytch because of my training. Avan and Grimbeard's combative skills have saved all our lives countless times, and we would not even know of these threats without Levin's knowledge of the Cener. We are here, now, because we are together. We have surpassed every threat evil has placed in our path, because we…
Dust: …are together. Alone, we are vulnerable. Together… together we will eliminate a demon. "
Rhavi drums his fingers on the table
Rhavi: "Alright then."
Rhavi: "Dinner with Captain Sornath. We will be sharing in ship's duties. Any other affairs that we have need to be attended to today."
Avan: "I have none other, and would be as happy to rest aboard tonight, that I may start my duties upon waking."
Dust: "Agreed. We'll be on the ship for several days, at least. I expect they'll have food, as long as nothing goes wrong, but there will likely be at least one traitor on the ship. Be alert for sabotage, and presume that we will have no chance to acquire resources again until we set foot in Durenor."
Levin: "Any herbwarden who is ever unprepared outside of Bautar seldom comes home again."
Dust: "Also, if anyone doesn't know how to swim… learn."
[OOC] LW GM: Because it works in the sky.
Levin: "…It is possible to swim in the sky, then, Dust?"
GrimBeard cringes.
Rhavi: "I imagine that when we meet tha //Albatross// we will need to, aye."
Avan: "…perhaps one last trip around the city, then. I've yet to see a shop this side of the Tentarias that sold handbolts."
Dust: "If the ship is sabotaged and goes down over water, we may be in for a watery landing. Best to be prepared."
Avan: "I was under the impression this was to be a mostly overland trip. Could we see your map, Dust?"
Dust pulls out the map, unrolling it.
Avan checks the route. How much is over water, and how much over land?
Rhavi: "The entrance strategy is overland..the exit strategy is by sea. We would also be wise to keep an eye open on the ship. I saw a few places where a clever man could store cargo that was not legitimate."
Avan: "Hmm. Ah, we are further north than I thought. We will be taking a straight course, hey?"
Rhavi: "And..we need to be cautious," He smiles, "Our passage is free and that makes me suspicious."
Rhavi: "He's in as much of a hurry as we are, so I imagine that the course would be roughly equivalent to your measurement, Avan."
Dust: "We'll need to keep alert. In that regard, I will be seeking for a few supplies in town. Captain, when was the meeting on the Undaunted?"
[OOC] LW GM: Soon. And you are going to be hungry and must soon eat a meal.
Rhavi: "After first candlemark in a couple of hours."
[OOC] Dust: Dust will 'hunt' while in town.
[OOC] Avan: We'll have the meal from the ship, no?
[OOC] LW GM: Yes.
[OOC] LW GM: Well, you assume. Unless you get attacked by pirates wearing straw hats.
[OOC] Dust: Dump some water on them and shiv them right and proper.
[OOC] Rhavi: How was the ship being lit, GM?
[OOC] LW GM: The ship wasn't lit when Rhavi went there, but he did see lanterns hanging.
[OOC] Rhavi: K
Rhavi: "Master Grim, how much of your powder did you get?"
Dust meets the others at the ship at the appointed time, after completing his business in the marketplace.
[OOC] LW GM: GB managed to top off his powdah pouch. He's back up to twelve shots.
Avan does likewise, picking up spare rations (1 meal) just in case - and, yes, seeing if a spare handbolt was for sale.
Levin 's business has already been conducted, so during this period he's spending time at the inn studying.
Rhavi: "Shall we get more before meeting the others?"
[OOC] LW GM: Avan. No handbolts are for sale that you can find.
[OOC] Avan: How much for the rations, then?
[OOC] Dust: 1 GC
[OOC] LW GM: yes.
[OOC] LW GM: Off to dinner?
[OOC] Avan: Yes.
[OOC] Dust: Aye.
[OOC] Levin: That or logend and we do the meal on Sunday :p
[OOC] Rhavi: Yeah, we'll pick up Grim's extra powder on the way if he wants it.
[OOC] LW GM: Actually, yeah. I can see the meal taking a bit.
[OOC] GrimBeard: I does!
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License