7 Apr 13

LW GM: Four days have passed uneventfully after you enter the gulf of Durenor and you are about to pass between the islands of Manon and Kirlu, the trickiest and most dangerous branch of you journey back to Holmgard. Nautically, at least. The day is bright and clear, without the characteristic fog that shrouds the southern shores of Manon and gives rise to it's other name, Wreck Point. The sea
LW GM: is calm and you have a moderate wind, however there can be unusual currents and tides between islands so close together, to say nothing of shoals and shallow waters.
LW GM: As you near Kirlu, you see an amazing sight, a statue made out of gray-green rock so ugly it can only be art. It is the very image, as Rhavi is quick to inform the others, of a bloated Meresquid, a fierce and dangerous predator in these waters. But such thought are soon driven from your mind as you attempt to navigate the tricky path Rhavi has explained to you. ((Rhavi make a half-rank
LW GM: roll. Everyone else make a no-rank roll.))
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+3: 8 (8)
Rhavi: "Less sail, Avan, less…"
Avan rolled up 1d10-1: 5 (5)
Avan tries to give the sail more slack.
Dust rolled up 1d10-1: 9 (9)
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10-1: 3 (3)
Levin rolled up 1d10-1: 3 (3)
LW GM: You manage to remain afloat as you pass between the islands, but there were some worring scraping sounds as you did it. The ship is still sailing and does not seem to be taking on water, but you don't need to have decades of ship experience to feel that you are going slower, and as you look behind you it is obvious the wake you are leaving is larger.
Rhavi sighs
Levin: "I'm going to guess there's a sea monster now attached to the boat."
[OOC] LW GM: Am I really that obvious?
Avan: "There are no convenient ports on the bottom, that we may poke at it from cover from?"
Rhavi: "Either than or we are dragging soemthing else."
Avan: "…above the water line, I mean."
Rhavi: "No. Shipwrights have an aversion to putting holes in the bottom of ships."
[OOC] Levin: Yes. Yes, you are.
[OOC] LW GM: Awww….
GrimBeard prepares Bessie and looks over the sides of the ship to see if he can get a bead on whatever is slowing us down.
Avan: "So. Anchor someone to the rail, dive overboard to see, then climb back up?"
Rhavi: "At least it is not a giant mersquid judging by the wake…just a large one."
Avan: "If so, I volunteer."
Rhavi: "Only if you want to die."
Avan: "…I shall pass on that."
Rhavi: "With luck it will just hang on and then let go. If we are unlucky it's smart enough to tear out the bottom of the boat."
Levin: "Got a better idea than trusting to luck? Because our luck thus far has been largely foul. And fowl, at one point."
Rhavi: "We wait until it shows us what it is and then blast it to Naar."
[OOC] LW GM: Pay attention to that. The guy who made the dicebot doesn't trust your luck.
Levin: "I'm not sure I like that plan either, but short of weighing anchor and sending you or Avan down to have a look, I'm not sure we have much of a choice."
Avan: "Why, exactly, is that not an option?"
Rhavi: "Because if we weigh anchor we stay where it is comfortable, but if we go over those shallows there," he points to a lighter spot int eh water, " it will either loose interest or surface. Going into it's environment is just foolishness."
Rhavi steers for the shallows, trusting that the Wavebreaker's shallow draft will keep it above the reef.
Avan: "Ah."
Dust, eyes closed, shakes his head. "I am not feeling any… unusual threat upon the ship."
Rhavi: "Which would mean that it is not sentient?"
Dust: "That I cannot say. Only that I do not feel undue danger at this time."
[OOC] LW GM: Actaully, make a half rank roll Dust.
Dust rolled up 1d10+3: 9 (9) ((But I reserve the right to feel danger in the future))
LW GM: The closest danger Dust feels is from Kirlu, specifically where that statue is.
LW GM: Where that statue was.
[OOC] Rhavi: well shiite
Levin: "GrimBeard, do you have any boom powder ready? If not, is there anything I might provide to assist in the production thereof? Even my mortar & pestle, provided you buy me a new one when we hit port."
LW GM: Even untrained eyes can easily see something large is swimming towards you underneath the surface of the gulf.
Rhavi: "More sail, we need to get to that reef."
Avan gives the sail less slack.
[OOC] Rhavi: more slack
Avan switches to give it more slack, on signal. These ships can be so confusing!
[OOC] LW GM: It's takeing a bit of willpower to not call you both slackers.
[OOC] Levin: Sorry. I'm participating in Fire Emblem romhack talk at the same time.
GrimBeard rolled up 1d10+3: 4 (4)
LW GM: With the increased speed, even reduced as it is, on the ship, GrimBeard does not dare to try to mix his boom powdah now.
LW GM: The wake gains on the ship as you make it to the reef.
GrimBeard shakes his head.
[OOC] LW GM: You're at the reef, but the wake is very close behind you.
GrimBeard: "Ah canna do it now. Nah enuff time, but thank ya fer tha offer lad."
Rhavi: "Levin, fire at that wake."
Levin draws an arrow and does precisely that.
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 5 (5) (cos otherwise I have to ask for CS, which…probably wouldn't do me any good.)
LW GM: The arrow shoots beneath the water, but there is no reaction from the thing beneath the waves. You have no idea if you even hit or not.
[OOC] LW GM: Presumably Rhavi had a plan for when you got to the reef, now's the time to enact it.
Rhavi sails over the reef, putting the barrier between them and the wake behind them. The creature will have to either surface to go ver the reef or leave them be. "
Dust nocks arrow to bow, waiting to see if said creature does surface.
Levin does the same with his next arrow.
Avan checks another railing, just in case it attacks from "behind" .
Rhavi tacks as much as needed to make for Manon once they are past the reef.
LW GM: The wake stops short at the reef. For a moment, the water is almost calm before a think insectile leg emerges from the water and touches the reef. Tek. Then a tentile rises from the water, soon followed by an enormous squid, except the squid had eight insect legs that wade over the reef. Tek. Tek. Tek.
Rhavi: "I hate these things….so much."
GrimBeard: "You hate 'em? If'n ah wanna fight it, ah gotta get close to it!"
Dust focuses his gaze, sighting down the arrow shaft as his fingers release, drawing and setting another arrow. ((Roll to hit? With or without mindblast?))
Rhavi: "We don't want to fight it, Master Grim, we want to escape it or at the very least take away some of its advantages."
GrimBeard: "Like its legs, which ah could do somethin abou' if'n ah had me boom powda."
[OOC] LW GM: Rhavi, make a half rank roll.
Rhavi: "You don't fight things like that. You throw captives at them until they stop trying to eat //you//. Sicne we lack any captives, let's do what we can, shall we?"
Rhavi rolled up 1d10+3: 10 (10)
[OOC] LW GM: Okay, that's a good roll, so nothing bad happens. Or rather nothing /else/ bad happens.
LW GM: The thing, for it is clearly no meresquid, has passed the reef and continues on towards you.
Levin: "…Right. Any weakpoints we should know about?"
[OOC] Rhavi: Do I recognize it?
[OOC] LW GM: If it weren't for the minor details of the spider legs and the fact that it apparenlty had no problems breathing air, you would say it was a meresquid.
Avan: "Eyes?"
Rhavi zags back over the reef headed for Manon and putting the barrier back in between them again as much as possible.
Rhavi: "Mersquid don't surface like that….I have no idea what it is. I would say that any kind of eyes would be a good bet."
[OOC] LW GM: CS 23. You are in the ranged round at the moment so you take no damage until it manages to close in.
[OOC] Rhavi: Not likely to slow it down with the reef again?
[OOC] LW GM: Nope. It will catch up to you before you can get to a second one.
Dust rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -10 ((Firing the arrow plus mindblast; taking the first shot because…))
Rhavi changes tactics to sail along the top of the reef for as long as possible to keep it above the water.
LW GM: The arrow sinks in near it's beak and it waves it's tenticles at you in pain.
Avan swipes at the nearest tentacle. Handbolt tied to shiel-fa for easy recovery - why didn't he think of this sooner?
Avan rolled up Ratio: -4 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -10 (With a firebite for double damage)
Levin rolled up Ratio: -6 RNT: 0 Player: -6 Enemy: 0 (ranged,no self-damage.)
[OOC] Levin: wow, fuck you so much Chessa. :I
LW GM: Avan's handbold lands shearing off one of the tenticles and leaving an ugly burn in it's place.
[OOC] LW GM: A tenticle snags Levin's arrow out of the air and gently tosses it back to him. It waves at Levin in a 'come at me bro' manner.
[OOC] LW GM: Any other ranged attacks?
[OOC] Rhavi: Driving the ship here….can I do that and make a ranged attack?
[OOC] LW GM: Sure. But only one
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: -7 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -8 (throws one of the ship's harpoons at the beast)
[OOC] Levin: Oh sure, give the pirate the best roll…
[OOC] Dust: The Pirate, the Kai Lord and the Telchoi all got the same roll. The Telchoi cheated, of course, but so would we if we knew how.
[OOC] Rhavi: would you rather have the guy driving get the bad rolls?
[OOC] Levin: That would be kinda logical, at least combat-wise.
LW GM: The harpoon sinks into the corrupted flesh as the thing dives beneath the ship. It soon reemerges, crawling up the ship's hull. But something small and damnably fast reaches the deck before it. Small green somethings with eight legs and no bigger than the back of your hand. But there are a lot of them.
LW GM: The meresquid then falls off the hull back into the water. It does not resurface.
Rhavi starts stomping madly
Rhavi: "Avan, burn them! Everyone else get ready to douse the fires!"
Dust lowers his arrow and bow, taking a moment to assess the situation.
LW GM: Levin knows a thing or two about spiders, namely that the smaller and brighter they are, the more poisonous they are. And these spiders are tiny and bright green.
Rhavi whirls away from the small arachnids
[OOC] LW GM: There are five spiders for each person. CS 8.
Levin: "Do *not* get bitten by these. You won't live long enough to regret it."
[OOC] Rhavi: Avan first, no?)
[OOC] LW GM: Yes, Avan first. (Unless he doesn't want to for some reason.) Avan, make five tests. Don't forget to add +2 CS for each subsequent spider for being quin-teamed.
Avan rolled up Ratio: 11 RNT: 2 Player: -2 Enemy: -11
Avan rolled up Ratio: 11 RNT: 5 Player: -1 Enemy: -16
Avan rolled up Ratio: 9 RNT: 5 Player: -1 Enemy: -14
Avan rolled up Ratio: 7 RNT: 4 Player: -2 Enemy: -11
Avan rolled up Ratio: 5 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: -18
[OOC] LW GM: @Rhavi. Each spider get an attack.
[OOC] Rhavi: okay
[OOC] Dust: Though we only deal damage upon the first one.
[OOC] Dust: Grimbeard goes, then Dust?
[OOC] LW GM: So Avan gets a net of 6 damage (since the last roll was not needed) and kills his spider.
[OOC] LW GM: His first spider, so he only makes 4 rolls next turn
[OOC] LW GM: And yes, GB then Dust.
[OOC] Levin: So they have 17-18 ED. Good to know.
Dust tosses bow and arrow behind him, shield dropping into hand and sword out. Then, reverses the shield, swinging it by the handle as a large, circular hammer to bash the pesky creatures, with the sword sweeping spiders aside.
Dust rolled up Ratio: 11 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: K ((Spider 1, who will hopefully be squashed))
Dust rolled up Ratio: 11 RNT: 1 Player: -2 Enemy: -10 ((Spider 1's first twin, who is unharmed))
Dust rolled up Ratio: 9 RNT: 2 Player: -2 Enemy: -10 ((Spider 1's second twin, who is unharmed))
Dust rolled up Ratio: 7 RNT: 1 Player: -3 Enemy: -8 ((Spider 1's stunt double, who is unharmed))
Dust rolled up Ratio: 5 RNT: 3 Player: -2 Enemy: -9 ((Spider 1's weird cousin, who is unharmed))
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 11 RNT: 2 Player: -2 Enemy: -11
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 11 RNT: 6 Player: 0 Enemy: -18
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 11 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: K
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 10 RNT: 1 Player: -3 Enemy: -9
GrimBeard rolled up Ratio: 8 RNT: 7 Player: 0 Enemy: -16
[OOC] GrimBeard: Sorry, typoed my CS in the initial rolls
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: 8 RNT: 6 Player: 0 Enemy: -14 (no damage on first round)
[OOC] LW GM: GrimBeard takes a net of 5 damage and kills his first spider.
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: 6 RNT: 1 Player: -3 Enemy: -7 (no damage on first round)
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: 11 RNT: 8 Player: 0 Enemy: K (no damage on first round)
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: 2 RNT: 0 Player: -5 Enemy: -4 (no damage on first round)
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: 4 RNT: 7 Player: 0 Enemy: -12 (no damage on first round my bad first time)
Rhavi rolled up Ratio: 0 RNT: 5 Player: -2 Enemy: -8 (no damage on first round)
LW GM: Dust takes 9 Damage net and squashes his spider.))
LW GM: Rhavi swings with lightning speed and smashes two of his spiders but takes 10 damage.
[OOC] Rhavi: first round
[OOC] Rhavi: No damage
Levin rolled up Ratio: 9 RNT: 9 Player: 0 Enemy: K
Levin rolled up Ratio: 7 RNT: 3 Player: -2 Enemy: -10
Levin rolled up Ratio: 5 RNT: 6 Player: 0 Enemy: -12
Levin rolled up Ratio: 3 RNT: 7 Player: 0 Enemy: -12
Levin rolled up Ratio: 1 RNT: 5 Player: -2 Enemy: -9
Dust winces at the pinprick bites upon his legs, sweeping the critters aside to allow for more proper unleashing of squishing.
LW GM: Levin stabs the deck with his short sword, spearing one of the spiders. Fortunately his robes manage to fend off most of the bites.
LW GM: The remaining spiders seem undaunted by the deaths of their collegues. And as they continue to attack the party, you can not help but imagine their hunger.
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License