8 May 13

LW GM: You stand at the edge of the clearing, mutely bearing witness to the aftermath of a long, drawn out, and bloody battle. It is obvious that the spiders fought with an unnatural tenacity, and that… things… were dragged away, deeper into the forest. You strongly suspect that the things dragged were people. Whether they were alive, or still are, you can not say.
LW GM: Dust's training tells him that there was great evil here, but it has moved back into the forest.
Levin sighs. He does what he can for the land in the time he has, but makes a mental note to come back after the demon's been banished or slain.
[OOC] Dust: Can Dust, or anyone else, tell how long ago it was?
GrimBeard scouts the area, making sure there are no more "wounded soldiers" meandering about.
LW GM: Despite the fact that the field is quite free of flies, the blood is obviously dried and old. You would estimate the battlefield is a week old, at least.
Rhavi: "Hm. No carrion eaters here."
Avan: "Or they have been and gone."
Avan: "Even the flies. But then, that is to be expected, with spiders."
Dust rises. "It is likely that those who were either dead, or did not survive. Unfortunately, the time cannot be spared to confirm."
Rhavi: "Let us check the ominous looking fort then."
Avan: "Indeed."
Rhavi heads cautiously toward the fort
Levin loosens his sword in his scabbard, having finished, for the time being, his work.
LW GM: As you draw closer to the fort you can see a significant amount of fire damage. Evidently as the spiders came close to overrunning the fort the soldiers attempted to set fire to the webs. The gate is broken inward and the interior is cloaked in shadow.
GrimBeard readies Bessie.
LW GM: The sun is low on the horizon, no doubt contributing to the gloom in the fort. You estimate you have one or two hours before sunset.
[OOC] Dust: So, do we want to invade the fort, get trapped there after dark and eaten by grues, or do we camp until sunrise and get eaten by grues?
[OOC] Levin: I'd say, camp in a usable clearing outside the fort. I'm not exploring a fort in darkness.
[OOC] Rhavi: I am all for camping among the dead bodies that even the flies avoid…what could possibly go wrong?
[OOC] GrimBeard: The latter
Dust casts his gaze to towards the lowering sun. "I am not sanguine about searching this fort under the cover of night."
Rhavi: "I am less so about camping anywhere near here."
Avan: "Might we find a defensible location inside the fort?"
Levin: "I'm not setting foot in an abandoned fort, night or not, until after we've rested."
GrimBeard: "Ah agree wit' Levin. Lets rest an git our bearins' in tha mornin'"
Dust: "Further, we have already encountered one shapeshifter. The helghast could as easily disguise itself as a corpse as a person."
[OOC] LW GM: Probably easier. Don't have to act as lifelike.
Rhavi: "Then let's find a place to call home for the night."
Dust: "Agreed."
[OOC] LW GM: So where are you going homehunting?
[OOC] Dust: The fort. Wait. Not the fort. Yeah, we'll go with that one.
Levin rolled up 1d10+3: 11 (11) (Finding a good clearing outside the fort.)
Rhavi rolled up 1d10-1: 4 (4) (looking for a campsite)
Avan rolled up 1d10+3: 8 (8) (redundant finding)
LW GM: After about an hour's worth of searching the area surrounding the fort, you do manage to find a decently defensible area to rest for the night. It's not the most comfortable place you've ever rested your head, but it is free from overhead branches that would allow giant spiders to… get the drop on you.
Rhavi: "I'll watch first again."
Dust settles in, sword across his knees, the rest of the group placed within eyesight.
Levin claims third watch again, then bundles up for the night.
Avan likewise goes for final watch.
GrimBeard: "Ah'll join ya boss. Not lettin you get col' feet agin."
Rhavi nods his thanks to GrimBeard
GrimBeard gets settled, and keeps Bessie across his knees for easy access.
LW GM: The feast hall of Holmgard is festive and noisy. The heat from the close press of bodies and the roaring fires create a pleasant, drowsy feeling, not at all enhanced by the wine and your full bellies. You are constantly asked to recount your many adventures and acts of heroism for the assembled guests. And through a doorway in a hall, little spiders march one by one all in a line.

GrimBeard Dreams: A friendly spider hands you a lit stick of wood. You understand immediately and light your beard on fire.

Dust 's nose twitches, then shakes his head, eyes snapping open at the smell of smoke and danger.
LW GM: A quick glance at your colleagues reveals that GrimBeard seems to be the source of the smell. In a moment he is on fire.
Levin blinks into wakefulness, then quickly gets his burn kit out as he notices the spontaneous dwarfish combustion.
Rhavi jerks back with a startled oath and grabs for his cloak, flinging it over GrimBeard and rolling him around, beating at the flames
LW GM: GrimBeard's face is contorted with pain, but he still remains asleep.
LW GM: Or at least he was before Rhavi's ministrations awaken him.
Avan cocks an eyebrow - another sleep attack?
GrimBeard wakes with a start.
GrimBeard: "Wutthaell?!?!?!"
GrimBeard tries to smother the fire on his beard.
[OOC] Rhavi: Is the fire out when he wakes?
[OOC] LW GM: The fire is out, though if it ended immediately when he woke up or when he started slapping his face you can not tell.
[OOC] Dust: Is there obvious damage? Does the beard still smoke?
Levin inspects the dwarf for burns and applies ointment where he finds 'em.
LW GM: The smell of burnt dwarf beard still lingers, and there are some obviously charred parts of it. However, GrimBeard is relatively free from non-beard burns.
GrimBeard: "Wut tha 'ell wuz that?!?!?!"
Dust: "Fire."
[OOC] Dust: Dude, check your boom powder.
Rhavi: "Ice, fire…the earth swallows us next I am sure."
[OOC] Rhavi: That would have really sucked rocks.
[OOC] Dust: About what time is it now? Close to dawn, barely night, or that crazy indeterminate time?
[OOC] LW GM: Midnightish. The moon is at it's zenith.
Dust glances around, looking for any trace of being lurking within the nearby darkness, wherever the source of these assaults may be.
Avan: "That didn't get near your powder, I hope?"
Levin puts his kit away and bundles up again. "Wake me when my watch is up."
Avan falls back to sleep as well.
Rhavi watches in the direction of the fort
[OOC] LW GM: Is everyone not actually on watch going back to sleep?
[OOC] Levin: Two of the three of 'em are, yes.
[OOC] Dust: Dust will stay up for a bit longer, but sleep will win eventually.
GrimBeard is shaken, but checks his powder after a couple of minutes.
LW GM: The powdah is still sealed in it's water-proof pouch, untouched by any flames.
Rhavi watches until his shift is up
LW GM: Soon enough everyone has returned to sleep, save those on watch. Time passes and soon enough it is morning ((You are now hungry and must eat a meal)).
[OOC] Dust: Hunting?
[OOC] Avan: If possible.
Rhavi eats the MRE
LW GM: When the hunters among the group attempt to ply their trade, they can not find any prey. No deer, no rabbits, no chipmunks. Just many many cocoons, small and large.
[OOC] Dust: Them spiders is good eatin.
[OOC] Avan: Are they edible?
[OOC] Dust: Crunchy.
Dust resigns himself to pulling a meal from his backpack. ((I brought a bunch for a reason.))
[OOC] LW GM: If you want to eat Cener tainted spider meat, I certainly won't stop you.
GrimBeard eats a meal.
Levin does up a variant on his sausage-rolls this time.
Dust rises after eating, refreshed and once more resolved to deal harshly with this demon.
LW GM: Meals are finished and you are well fed.
Avan eats a meal quickly.
Rhavi: "well then, no use delaying. Let's look inside of the fort."
Dust heads off to do just that.
Rhavi follows along
[OOC] Dust: …is anyone going to try and stop me? Anyone? please?
GrimBeard follows Rhavi.
Avan follows the crowd.
Levin follows along, sword loose and first aid kit ready to hand.
Rhavi grabs a nice dry branch to use as a torch handle
LW GM: Even in the light of dawn the interior of the fort is near black in it's darkness. As your eyes adjust you realise that part of it is that the walls have been blackened by the fire that evidently raged earlier. It is nearly impossible to see, and the wind stirs ashes and remnants of pennants and flags, creating the illusion of skittering movement all around you. You pray to Ishir they are only illusions, at least.
LW GM: ***LOG END***

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 License